A new look

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
I've been collecting Vaquero revolvers over the past few years. Was very disappointed with the purchase of an SR 22, to just have fun with. So having found memories of my two Mark Is the ex-wife kept years ago. Picked up this 50th on a good deal and gave it a new look.

Our grip maker 41mag helped me locate a nice piece of Hackberry cut on the cross grain and look what he sent me today, red eagle and all. The photos really don't do these grips justice on how they look in person. Jim has also made me some very interesting maple grips for 4 of my Vaqueros six shooters.

I may be the only one that likes this look, but what the heck it's my gun !!!

348rp79.jpg

5pg6mf.jpg

Coop

Blackhawk
53 years ago I went on a high school post-prom party (early AM) at Hackberry State park in north central New Jersey with my prom date. Your pix are very interesting. I have never heard of Hackberry wood before, and, of course, I was more interested in my date than the flora around me, YUM.

What is Hackberry???

Best,

TxHighlander

Bearcat
Coop said:
What is Hackberry???

Coop;

Hackberry grows wild all over Texas, but is especially plentiful in north central Texas, specifically my yard! I have four very large old growth trees which provide great shade and cover, about another six that are maybe 15-20 years old and 25-30 feet tall, and at least a dozen new saplings every week this time of year! Seriously, these things almost spring up every time a bird flies over or a breeze blows the berries around. Every time I mow the yard I take a pair of clippers with me and cut back all of the new growth, especially around my fence line.

I have used the deadfall and the product of frequent trimmings for the firepit and the grill after it dries properly. It's a good hardwood, similar to some of the nutwoods in consistency, and can dry with some interesting grain patterns. My Son pulled up a sapling with rootball attached (about 6 1/2 feet tall), dried it on a rack for over a year, then peeled it, polished and carved it, and made a Lord of the Rings style walking stick out of it. The grain looked similar to the grips shown here and he sold it the first time he carried it out anywhere. I can't ever wait long enough for it to dry and cure as long as he did, I'm too busy killing the offspring!

Bill
The TxHighlander

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Bill....You could be setting on a gold mine of wood. Our grip maker in Texas, Zane Thompson is currently working on two pair of birdshead grips using Hackberry for some tri color six shooter I have completed. If any of your trees have any irregular knobs growing on the trunks you have great grip making material.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Very nice grips! Certainly a unique look.

Sorry you are still not happy with the SR22. Ready to tell me what dumpster I should look in? lol.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
721...It was in pieces in the trash can in my shop, I was wondering what the best way would be to get rid of it and sell all the magazines. A friend talked me into sending it back to Ruger one more time to see what they could do. I got it back the other day and it looks like they replaced the slide assembly. The paper advised they shot 40 rounds through it with no issues. I have not had the opportunity to take it out for a try myself. I still would like to sell it and get another Mark II, but do not want to stick some one with a problem gun.