RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 pm 
Buckeye

Quote:
How come nobody is worried about the New Vaq in .45 Colt, which is at least as capable of being hot-rodded as the .44 Special?

I wish I had a dollar for every time that question has been asked. Because of the 44's reputation as the 'most powerful gun in the world'. It was just assumed that more yahoos would try to play Elmer and hot rod the 44 Sp than the 45 Colt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm 
Hunter

No need to get ruffled about it, just enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm 

Driftwood Johnson wrote:
Quote:
How come nobody is worried about the New Vaq in .45 Colt, which is at least as capable of being hot-rodded as the .44 Special?

I wish I had a dollar for every time that question has been asked. Because of the 44's reputation as the 'most powerful gun in the world'. It was just assumed that more yahoos would try to play Elmer and hot rod the 44 Sp than the 45 Colt.

I'd almost bet right about now that, outside of RF, there are so few people that identify with "Elmer" that this would be a very limited concern. Not to denigrate the man's heritage, it's just we're talking about a very, very niche thing in the big world of guns, where poly combat pistols are now king.

What would be more likely these days is the same yahoo buying a .44 Special gun and trying to stuff .44 Mag ammo into it, only to return it to the store with, "It's broke."

-- Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 pm 
Hunter

I thought it was a huge secret that you could shoot .44 Special in .44 Mag chambered guns... but whatever sells guns doesn't bother me one bit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:58 pm 
Blackhawk

The NRA Reloading manual has excellent pressure tested data regarding Elmer Keith level loads.

There was NOTHING wrong with Elmer's loads in the .44 Special. Literally HUNDREDS of individuals ran those loads through large frame .44 Specials (from Colt SAA's to S&W Model 24's and later 624's).

I have had and still have several different revolvers both double and single action for the .44 Special. When I got my first one, I ran some of Elmer's loads through them. I didn't care for the recoil in my light barreled Model 24 S&W and settled on Skeeter's load (7.5 grs of Unique behind a 250 gr Keith). That'll do all I need in my older revolvers and now my new 5½" .44 Lipsey Special.

However, if I didn't have several .44 Magnums (I do) I would, without a blink of an eye run 16.5-17.0 grs of modern 2400 behind a 250 gr Keith bullet. It is a safe load if not particularly pleasant to shoot in a good condition modern large frame .44 Special.

FWIW
Dale53

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:08 pm 
Hawkeye

I am fairly new to this game but I don't see the problem with the 44 special guns. We have had lots of new 38 special guns and lots of new 45 colt guns without talk of liability. I wouldn't want to get or even know where to get old reloading data. Whatever it says on the barrel or the frame is what the gun is. If someone is going to reload the first thing they learn is about SAMMI pressure limits.

Ruger only loads are a special sub-set of reloading which I feel should be only used in special circumstances by those that know exactly what they are doing, much like wildcatting. :shock:

...Jimbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3j-i7GLr0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:33 pm 
Single-Sixer

Why is the 44 spl frame steel and the 44 mag w/7.5" brl, non-fluted cylinder frame's alloy?

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... e=Revolver

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... e=Revolver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm certain the main frame on both of those guns is steel.

There may be some confusion about the grip frames, though. Ruger has been known to make grip frames out of both materials, and I'm not exactly sure which is used on these two.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 pm 
Hawkeye

Driftwood Johnson wrote:
They were afraid of lawsuits when some clown tried to shoot Kieth type hot 44 Special loads in one.

I'm sorry but this just doesn't withstand scrutiny. Elmer Keith only ever blew up one gun and it was an overloaded 1st generation Colt .45 SAA. Never a .44Spl. There is NO .44Spl loading data in print that would not be safe in a Ruger .44Spl, whether it's the mid-frame Blackhawk or a New Vaquero. Including the infamous Keith 1200fps load. So any fear of hotrodders blowing up guns would have to be an individual on his/her own. In which case, this logic could be applied to any gun in any chambering. On top of that, Ruger has only ever recommended/condoned SAAMI-level factory loads in their guns, including their large frame .45Colts. In other words, it's nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Nicksterdemus wrote:
Why is the 44 spl frame steel and the 44 mag w/7.5" brl, non-fluted cylinder frame's alloy?

That's a misprint, both guns in question are all steel. Although technically, all steels are alloys so using the term "alloy" interchangeably with "aluminum" (an elemental metal) is incorrect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

It's been my experience that the gun industry is at leat 10 years behind the curve (what people want in guns)...I remember in the 70's if you wanted a light weight rifle you had to go with a Brown Precision stock or one maker that I can't think of now...There just weren't any being made ...it took 15 years for the gun manufactures to finialy relize there might be a demand for such guns...Ruger is no different in many ways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:58 pm 
Single-Sixer

Thanks for answer.

I knew ya'll would know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:24 pm 
Buckeye

Quote:

because i dont want to buy new dies, new shell plates, another type of bullet, another 1000 lot of brass (if i can find it) new molds, and probably a dedicated press knowing me. and start over with finding out which loads run good. i will stick with .44spl/.44mag and .38/.357 for revolvers.

:oops: geee i hope noone can tell i have OCD when it comes to getting a new caliber :oops: