RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:08 am 
Hunter

letsGOphills wrote:
just spent the last 25 mins goin through every page of this topic. great job and thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun building the gun and sharing it with the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:29 am 
Bearcat

Lee Martin wrote:
Guys....sorry if I came across as rude here. To be honest, I didn't check this thread a lot and didn't look back on all the previous posts. Didn't mean to ignore people, but I was clear early on that I wasn't going to make it a complete "how to" thread. I don't do this as a business, so there's no money angle for me. A lot of gunsmiths do put a roof over their head by making cylinders though. As such, I decided not to give away every detail on how we build them. That plus no one taught us how to do it....we spent more than a few hours machining prototype cylinders out of aluminum back in the late 80s. If anyone is good enough with a mill to eventually make cylinders, they should take the time to figure it out on their own. In my opinion, that's the best way to learn Blackhawk smithing.

I'm new to this forum and this very build thread is responsible for my being here. With that said, I completely agree with Mr. Martin's position. I have made 5 shot cylinders for my own use. I have no plans for production (I can go broke doing nothing. I don't have to work at it), but I really didn't want to know every detail of the process. I preferred to learn on my own. Consequently; my first effort, while functional, was not the prettiest piece of work! Proprietary knowledge is hard won through lots of trial and error and I respect that. Guys like Linebaugh, Bowen and Martin have 'paid there dues' and I respect that.
On a brighter note: I still return to this thread and reread just for the fun of it.
Great work Mr. Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 am 
Bearcat

This is one of the most enjoyable and informative threads I've read in a long time. To say that I'm impressed with Lee's craftsmanship, would be an understatement.
Interesting that on the same day I read the article, I've acquired a new Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt/.45 acp.
Thanks again, Lee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:24 am 
Bearcat

I'm new here and this is my first post. Fascinating. Like the other fella said, this thread is the reason I joined the Ruger Forum. Lee you are very knowledgable and skilled craftsman, very impressive work. Being an escapee from high school level shop classes I have some appreciation of the time and practice and work that went into getting you to the place where you can make something like this.
I love the .44 Special, especially these single actions. I have a NM .357 floatin around that could use trans-mografication into a .44 Spec... but given the time and expense involved it would be better to sell it and get a ready-made from Ruger.
The .44 mags are nice, but there's something about a .44 Special- if ya hafta ask "Why?", ya need more range time! 8) Once again, bang-up job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

Probably one of the coolest threads I've seen on a Forum. Being an S&W guy myself I dont get here enough. I DO have my share of OM BH's so maybe I need to convert one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:34 pm 
Single-Sixer

Got pointed to this from elsewhere and I loved it. Great topic!

Hobie
Shooting with Hobie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:58 pm 
Buckeye

Hobie wrote:

'bout time you got over here.............Creeker

Just as The Sun Went Down
https://youtu.be/0WLtYgivQsU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 am 
Hunter

Hobie wrote:

Glad you liked it. I may do another one for a 5-shot I'm building (a 500 Maximum on a stretch-frame Blackhawk).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:48 pm 
Hunter

I hope you do, Lee. This is a great thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:36 pm 
Single-Sixer

Very nice work....Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:54 pm 
Single-Sixer

Very awesome! One question,since you built a cylinder from scratch,why not take the extra step and counterbore the chambers like an old model? I wish all my revolvers were like that makes a cleaner looking gun with out the gap. Not knocking your choice just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Lee Martin wrote:
Hobie wrote:

Glad you liked it. I may do another one for a 5-shot I'm building (a 500 Maximum on a stretch-frame Blackhawk).

That's something I've been waiting for.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 am 
Bearcat

Mr. Martin,

I just signed up for this forum yesterday while searching for some No. 1 information. Your pictures, information, and skills may be the best use of Al Gore's internet I've ever witnessed. Thanks for taking the time to document the project.

Go afield with a good attitude...Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.

Fred Bear 1902-1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm 
Single-Sixer

My uncle is a machinist and would appreciate this thread. Your shop actually looks like his garage.

Nice work and nice informative thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:15 am 
Ruger Guru

I guess I gotta finally say "something", been following Lees' thread and it was an "awesome" undertaking and GREAT job, and I hope that any and ALL of you realize just how complicated ,time consuming and COSTLY this sort of thing really is.....I THANK YOU Lee for putting it out for all of us to see and follow, ,,,,,,but it bothers me when some folks take it upon themselves to pass judgement ,pis & whine when they do not get what they want...it is hard enough to just do the work, time and ;lots of it is involved and then they want a blow by blow, measurement for measurement,hell I cannot type out and describe EXACTLY how I even polished the last cylinder we did!!!! it is ALL in the machinist manual, if you guys "think" you are a machinist then you should already have the manual, and be able to "do the math..." heck, I do MOST of MY stuff by eye, touch and feel!!!!!was shown how over the years and learned to do it myself........
do you know how many cylinders or barrels you have to "make, turn, clean up" just to pay for ANY of that equipment you see in Lees' pictures!!!!
WOW.....................

Again, great job Lee, I for one "thank you" immensely" for the entire thread, I worked in the shop, we did this sort of thing, and NO I am NOT a machinist,we had guys who did, and as you "see" in Lees' thread, his comments as to the "others" involved, the barrel supplier of the blank, Ron Mahovsky, good friend of mine and what he does through his shop for the finish, and the great job Cary and his grip making,all take a place in the entire project, and that adds to the "time",,, shipping, delivery, work to be done.......now you know "why" some of the 'big boys' get the money to do for the work that is done.................and NO I;m NOT going to get into the "why that caliber...??? ( we did it in a 256 Win.....) 8) AND in a D/A.... :roll:
Thank you Lee :wink:

NRA Benefactor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next