NM Single Six at 25 yards

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's/Gal's

I have had several single sixes over the years and always end up getting rid of them. I know Stupid, but I had one out of all of them that shot great. It was a 3 screw unconverted. Should have kept it.

So I bought a 2003 50th anniversary Single Six that shot so far to the right that I got aggravated and traded it off at my LGS for a New Model Single Six in SS. This one seem to shoot reasonably accurate but at 25 yards it is 6" high with the sight all the way down. I have always had to buy a lower sight blade for all my single six revolvers that I have ever purchased. I just can not find one at this time. I will call Ruger Customer Service today and see if they can help me out. But or if you know where one is can you please give me a direction to go ?

If this single six does not preform I believe I will be done with the Ruger Single Sixes. I have always had accuracy problems out of them. I wish they would offer an unconverted model with the barrel for 22lr only. Not the 22 Mag also. It would make a world of difference.

I like my front sight blade even with the top of the sight, does anyone else have this same problem with their Ruger at 25 yards. I have a Blackhawk anniversary model that I changed the rear sight blade on to a low blade and it is a great pistol. After sending it back to have Ruger straighten or re-clock the barrel to straighten the front blade tilt.

You know I love Ruger but it seems lately that they and everyone else could care less what they put out the door anymore. I wanted another single six so I bought this after buying the anniversary model. I just can not understand why I can buy a single action Uberti 1873 and it shoots dead on at 25 yards no sight's that are leaning and smooth as silk. Why can we not do that as American manufacturers. Just don't get it. Every gun I buy lately has to be sent back or you have to fix and go way overboard on adjusting tweaking to get to point of aim. The Uberti Shoots straight as can be. Ruger please make a single six lr. only.

Anyway, I was looking for a lower rear sight blade. I have purchased several in the past but they are no longer available. So I ordered a new front sight, tall I beleive it comes .525 tall and you reprofile it the way you want it.

I did end up purchasing a taller front sight. He is sending me one in the white since they were not going to blue them until next week. I figured after I sized it and shaped it I would have to blue it anyway. Here is the sight, I found it while googling and reading forums. But it should be a great front sight. I am going to make it a target style sight with the front towards the rear sight straight up and down and then curve the back side. Should be perfect. Sight shows out of stock. But they do have them they are not blued as of yet. Should show in stock next week he said. He just sent me one and if you call him he will fix you up.

https://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=59

Got the new front sight in and reprofiled. I am very happy with the sight. I love the profile of the sight I shaped. More like a straight up target sight. It is just a hair taller than the factory sight after considerable grinding.

I will take her out soon, right now here it is 97 degrees and humid with the index of 103. I believe I can wait. I also included a picture of the factory sight next to it so you can see how high I left it. It should be just about right, meaning I should have to raise the rear sight up just a little to get it to point of aim. Which is what I am striving for. If it still a little high I can always take a little more off but I believe it is just about right. The sight was sent before bluing it because I did not want to wait for the bluing another week. After grinding and filing it was going to have to be touched up anyway.

Great sight picture now.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Ok,

One thing interesting in the rear sight. I started to adjust the rear sight up a little bit so it would more close hit at point of aim when I went to the range. When I noticed the rear sight screw was binding up and the sight not moving. I had to force the screw to move. I finally just took the sight pin out and kept forcing the screw out until the sight came off. There must have been a burr in the sight screw hole. I took a jeweler round file and filed the inside of the screw hole so that the screw would freely move a little. Put the sight back together and what a difference it made. The rear sight when I thought it was bottomed out was not. Now it goes quite a bit further down and when I press on the rear sight it will move up and down with the spring pressure. So I may not need the front sight but I like it and I am going to probably keep it on there and end up filing it down till I can keep the rear sight adjusted about medium adjustment height. That way there will be plenty of adjustment left.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I don't have a Single-Six, but I do have a new Single-Ten. Appearance-wise it looks almost identical to that Single-Six. Plus, it was recently made, maybe four years ago or less, when most people seem to feel that Ruger has come down in quality. Not for this domicile! Just might be that I only buy brand new, and from my LGS, and almost excusively Rugers. On the Single-Ten at 75 feet (25 yards) with iron sights it did two-inch or less groups. Since I want to do head shots on squirrels, I got a Burris FastFire 3 (red dot), made my own mount, and now at 50 feet I can choose which side of the rodent's eye to aim for, when I do my part (at least on paper). The only other change to the gun is my self-made grips which are vertically longer by about 3/4 inch (I have large hands). Oh, and I also did the "poor boy's trigger job".

To the OP, I doubt the .22/ 22 Mag barrel is the problem. I have several old model and new model convertibles with the so called "compromise" barrel and all shoot very well. I have one convertible 10" new model with a scope mounted that will shoot under 1 inch at 25 yards on sandbags with either cylinder. Have a 5 1/2" SS convertible that will stay under 1 and 1/2 inch on sandbags at 25 yards all day. Have to admit they are both over 20 years old, so can't speak for newer models, but the convertibles have shot great for decades with both cylinders. The barrel diameter has never really been an issue in my humble opinion.