Brasso brass polish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fla Trooper 265

Bearcat
Is Brasso harmful to blued finishes. I need to clean some of my brass frames. If Brasso is harmful could yawl recommend something else to use.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
To your question: yes Brasso containes harmful ingredients that will React with the blue finish on your piece. A good quality wax recommended for stocks will help clean your brass frame. There are good waxes, musesum quality, that can be used on firearm finishes to protect them from the acid in our hands. Some folks have "wet" h ands and cannot handle a firearm without an oil wipe afterwards. Sounds like you like a shiney finish. Bring back as much luster as you can or want and then apply a coat of wax and let the brass mellow. After awhile the patina the brass aquires will grow on you.

Other folks may have further advise.

Regards

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have used Brasso on my grips frame and grip straps. I do quickly remove any that gets on the blued surface and no harm has resulted.

Incidentally, I've used Brasso to polish the bores of my guns at times. Its main ingredient (solids) is whiting, which is a very, very mild abrasive. Cuts carbon well.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Well, can't the grip frame be removed and then polished using brasso?

Well, sure it can. But then.................

As I said I've polished the grip frame, or backstrap, and just paid attention to removing it (Brasso) from the blued surface with no problem.

Bob Wright

larryofcc

Bearcat
dixie884 said:
Try dura glit cotton wadding it shines and protects brass with no white powder residue......
We used that in the Marines in 1961. Add to that, Renaissance Wax is a firearms best friend. Most museums use it. I have 185 guns and almost all are Ren Waxed. Big Larry USMCR (60-68).

dougader

Hunter
Last I checked, Brasso has ammonia in it. Not something I want anywhere near blued steel or cartridge brass.