Truck Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wagsfn

Bearcat
I hate to admit but my truck gun is a Glock 17 Gen3 9mm. Bought it for a song years ago, and it always go bang. No sentimental value for that matter. Why I call it a truck gun.....

bogus bill

Hunter
A few posts back I mentioned my truck being stolen. Let me get deeper in that story. A lesson here. I lived in california, my dad in wisconsin. I had to go home on a emergency trip as he was close to dying. I brought a bunch of family guns etc back. I was dead tired from driving and forgot to bring into the house my truck gun that was behind the seat in a baggage slot. I woke up and the truck was gone! The gun was a smith model 60 that had a bobbed hammer. I believe that gun tipped off the thief that, hey, this must be a gun guy. I am sure I was watched. A day or two later I left the house, came home a hour or two later and all the family guns that I brought back that I couldn't get in my safe were stolen along with some I had hanging on the walls! I seldom leave a gun in my vehicle anymore.

Model 58 with 240g Platinum loads and two speed loaders.
CGOqAm8.jpg

What is a truck gun? Maybe there aren't any wrong answers. And maybe depending on where you live is what makes you decide what a truck gun is.

Many of the handguns mentioned could be hanging from my belt anyway, so I don't see them separately as truck guns.

Out west, where we could be out on the boonies, away from civilization regularly, a carbine of some sort is most often my choice as a truck gun. Or even an 18" barreled shotgun with sights.

Targets of opportunity abound while we're up in the mountains. So if I'm up in the sticks during hunting season, something capable of shooting a deer beyond handgun distances are in order. Simultaneously, grouse are abundant, so that's where a shotgun with sights could pull double duty. The rest of the year, a varmint-capable gun could be the requirement.

And being up in the mountains, it's not unheard of to get stuck up there and have to spend the night. A light and quick handling carbine suits many roles.

Short lever guns don't take up much room. They're easy to grab and easy to pack. And although I don't purposely abuse my equipment, riding around in the back seat of a pickup also takes a toll, so stainless is important to me. It's often soaking wet out here. Get in the truck wet, turn the heater on, and you've got a very humid environment. Stainless is more resistant to this treatment.

I very much like a .30-30, .44 Mag, or even a .357 carbine.

In the off season, a pistol-cartridge carbine is handy. And in the seriousness of deer or bear season, a Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 covers the bases well, although my leanings are still towards a lever gun.

buffalocannon

Bearcat
Cheap short barrel Mossberg 12-gauge pump loaded with 00 buck. (Sorry, I know this is a Ruger revolver site.)

A truck gun to me would have to be a carbine or shotgun. I always have some sort of handgun on me, so don't need another. Seems redundant. So, generally it will be a Mossberg 500 .410 or a Rossi 16" stainless .357. Those choices are general. Really, depends on where I am going in my truck.... I guess the handgun of choice would be something in .357. 4" 686 is handy as well as a 4" Security-Six.

Heliman and I have this discussion often.

The Marlin 1894css, (18", stainless, walnut, .357), would/could be a great choice if a person had one. Problem is, they are scarce and expensive.

So Marlin, a couple years ago released the 1894SBL/CSBL. 16" barrel, either .44 or .357. It does have a laminated stock, with the big loop, and a rail. I would overlook these three items, as the rest of the gun is otherwise perfect, and it has a ghost ring receiver sight.

Problem here, too. They are almost completely unavailable. None of the distributors have them. But there are tons on the auction sites. Looks like folks are buying them when they're available, just to make a few bucks.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have a browning 92 in 44 mag and a rossi 357. They look identical but I prefer the .357. It will effectively do what the .44 mag will but is more of a sweetheart to shoot. Kicks far less.
https://i.postimg.cc/wvwZ3j3y/35744mag.jpg

Latest posts