Hollywood Flip....rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Almost as bad as Cholo's experience; I had bought a 98% beautiful S&W 52 target pistol at my LGS, and trusted the 'smith to install a set of new Altamont walnut grip panels that of course, need work to make the fit perfect.
When I went to pick it up, it was in the showcase. That's one.
The new counterguy pulled it out for me and drooled over it, not exactly handing it to me. He showed it to the next interested counterguy, who bumped it on the case edge. Thats two.
Next - you guessed it - they started snapping the trigger over and over, right in front of my outstretched hand! That's three.
- No I refused the gun and had the shop send it to a S&W Repair Center before I'd accept it. They replaced the nearly new sear and a couple of internals.
The owner was furious, and I never saw any other trigger or action work at that store again, ever.

Antics like flipping the cylinder are just ignorance playing out. I am a little outspoken, and suggest the counterguy seeks any other line of work.

bogus bill

Hunter
I was a guard and we were issued speed six`s. I was relieved by a female guard and opened up the speed six and handed it to her. She did the hollywood flip. I immediately told her you dont snap a gun closed like that. Now she was looking at the gun and complained she couldn't close it all the way. I told her that`s what I meant. I was checking out so told her I will take this one in and bring you another. I went to the safe in the office and dug out another. The day captain was there and I told him dont issue out this one, it needs fixing, send it to the "gun shop".
He said why? I said you dont want to know joe. He insisted so I had to rat what happened. For whatever reason Joe didnt like that female officer as I had my back to him I heard him mutter "this is real bad". Now Joe was a gun guy and collector like me and also had been a cop in a large neighboring town before he hired in with us. He was single and I had noticed kind of "quercky" with females. I turned and looked and silently thought, hey, that ejector rod was bent down slightly, but I didn't notice it was THAT bad! I said nothing and just thought I might be wrong.
Next day the girl told me they were thinking of firing her! I wrote a sealed letter to the chief, gave it to the union steward to give him with the instruction that it was only to be opened by the chief if they were REALLY going to fire her. The day after that the steward told me "the incident never happened", and that was it.
I was the most senior officer on a huge department, not a climber and knew where all the bodys were buried even back then.

I always tell someone that is going to shoot my revolvers to press close the cylinder. I explain to them why it's bad to flip it closed. That way, they know not to do that. No muss, no fuss, and they're thankful for the knowledge.

BearBio

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
I was a guard and we were issued speed six`s. I was relieved by a female guard and opened up the speed six and handed it to her. She did the hollywood flip. I immediately told her you dont snap a gun closed like that. Now she was looking at the gun and complained she couldn't close it all the way. I told her that`s what I meant. I was checking out so told her I will take this one in and bring you another. I went to the safe in the office and dug out another. The day captain was there and I told him dont issue out this one, it needs fixing, send it to the "gun shop".
He said why? I said you dont want to know joe. He insisted so I had to rat what happened. For whatever reason Joe didnt like that female officer as I had my back to him I heard him mutter "this is real bad". Now Joe was a gun guy and collector like me and also had been a cop in a large neighboring town before he hired in with us. He was single and I had noticed kind of "quercky" with females. I turned and looked and silently thought, hey, that ejector rod was bent down slightly, but I didn't notice it was THAT bad! I said nothing and just thought I might be wrong.
Next day the girl told me they were thinking of firing her! I wrote a sealed letter to the chief, gave it to the union steward to give him with the instruction that it was only to be opened by the chief if they were REALLY going to fire her. The day after that the steward told me "the incident never happened", and that was it.
I was the most senior officer on a huge department, not a climber and knew where all the bodys were buried even back then.

Firing is a bit harsh but she should have been made to pay for repairs and take a firearms course.

bogus bill

Hunter
We all did take re qualifications every year. The woman had told me they showed her the gun and the ejector rod was bent farther than when I abraded her for flipping it shut. That made me sure my first impression was right and wrote the letter. A few nights later "Joe" gave me a candy rat.

dixie cat

Bearcat
I have a smith Wesson first change 32-20 model 1905 I was showing it to a man who I thought had common sense. he opened the cylinder and flipped it shut the same way. I saw my life and his flash before my eyes as I took it from his hand!

BearBio said:
Firing is a bit harsh but she should have been made to pay for repairs and take a firearms course.

One presumes that the captain perhaps -- maybe -- "augmented " the bend a little more to better make a case against the lady in question, and Bill noticed it.

:roll:

bogus bill

Hunter
You got it! I had a house keeper that also cleaned his house. She told me she was cleaning his house while he was messing with a handgun and shot a hole through the wall. I never told him I knew about it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Life imitating art. Old as the wind.

But only a fool would hand a revolver to a nooby without explaining how to handle it.
And only a damn fool would hand a loaded revolver...

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Life imitating art. Old as the wind.

But only a fool would hand a revolver to a nooby without explaining how to handle it.
And only a damn fool would hand a loaded revolver...

I'm curious if you read my original post that started this thread; or do you not understand "Showed them how it works, double & single action, loading & unloading"?

Or was your post intended for those from bogusbill?

bogus bill

Hunter
I have been sitting on that one. To start with we all had training and certification by the state. On the large department where you give your revolver to the officer that relieves you, you assume they know what they know the procedure. She wasn't a newby. It well might have been the first time she relieved me as it was a huge department. I opened the revolver, handed it to her with my finger through the open window, she took it and flicked it closed but then she noticed it didn't close completely as I was telling her you dont close it that way. So I am a fool? I carried and handled guns longer than I am old.

bogus bill

Hunter
Well, the normal work week is 40 hours. I worked a average of 65 hours a week. that`s 62.5% more than the typical 40 hours. I was there 35 years. 35 X 1.625 = 56.875 years. I carried elsewhere OTJ`s about 4 more years so 56.875 + 4= 60.875 years. When I retired January of 2,000 I was 58 and 8 months old, and had been carrying for almost 60.9 years.

https://i.postimg.cc/MK1RZ546/old-confederate-solider.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
Some people aren't in sink with mechanical things. They slam car doors break and accelerate too hard. Abuse revolvers. Etc. They just don't get it.

Others get it and it seems like common sense even second nature to go easy on things. I'm glad I'm in the second group. Ive heard it called mechanical harmony.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Years ago I had a guy walk up to my gun show table, pick up my old model Super Blackhawk. He opened the loading gate and just started spinning the cylinder over and over. I just about went through the roof on him. I've also had the do the "flick the cylinder shut" routine on double actions. And of course lever actions or bolt actions just beg to be picked up and have the actions worked as fast as they can.

diyj98 said:
Years ago I had a guy walk up to my gun show table, pick up my old model Super Blackhawk. He opened the loading gate and just started spinning the cylinder over and over. I just about went through the roof on him. I've also had the do the "flick the cylinder shut" routine on double actions. And of course lever actions or bolt actions just beg to be picked up and have the actions worked as fast as they can.

I cable tie mine shut in a manner that prevents imbeciles from abusing them.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
arfmel said:
diyj98 said:

I cable tie mine shut in a manner that prevents imbeciles from abusing them.
I've started doing that as well.