RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ruger SP101
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:05 am 
Newly Registered

Update. Received the SP101 back and Ruger replaced the Pawl. Gun dry fires nice. Traded it to a friend from work who knows about the problems. Hopefully it functions fine for him. I decided to trade it since I believe I wouldn't have any confidence in this as a carry piece.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 am 
Hawkeye

"This gun is pure junk. Any suggestions?"
Two things I see here.
Relatively light weight revolver with magnum loads and it "hardly kicked". I notice the recoil of my 3" SP101 with 38+P ammo.
Shooting 38 and 357 cases can and does cause problems later with fouling in the cylinder.
Several solutions proposed above should fix the problem but as a last resort, send it to me and I'll give it a good home.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:29 pm 
Newly Registered

The gun hardly kicked with 38spl rounds, and some light loaded .357 mag loads. That was what I said. With full magnum loads it kicked fairly hard. I am used to shooting all types of rounds in many pistols. The recoil with magnums is not as horrible for me, an experienced shooter, as it might be for a new shooter. As I stated I traded it after it came back form the factory, so all is good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:08 am 
Blackhawk

To bad you traded it. I bet Ruger got it fixed and it would have never given you another problem and made a super nice revolver. Did you buy a different small revolver or something else ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 am 
Single-Sixer

Sometimes the small revolvers with a "snappy" recoil will unseat the bullets slightly . I use a method of roll crimp them iron it in with a taper crimp and have not had any more problems with bullets walking out of the crimp. Sorry your SP101 did not work out for you. I had a 2 1/4" 357 and while it had a lot of recoil it was both accurate and reliable . A friend talked me out of it on a trade , wish I had it back !!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 am 
Newly Registered

Deet, I also had the exact same problem with my brand new SP101 two years ago. I had the 3" version. Really like the gun and was carrying it a lot around the farm. However, it would not digest any .357 over 10 rounds before the cylinder would lockup tighter than the hubs of h*ll, the trigger not being pullable, and in some cases, the cylinder release button would fail to lock after the cylinder was in place. My first SP was sent back to Ruger for this with a detailed summary of everything. As to be expected, Ruger repaired it in a timely manner, free-of-charge, and sent a note saying "adjusted cylinder". Then, I went back to the range....

Same thing again...after one cylinder of .357, total cylinder lock again, trigger won't function, cylinder won't seat back in place and the cylinder release button stays pushed-in. This time, I took it to a local gunsmith in my area with 40yrs experience. He took some measurements and said the gun was pretty-much DOA, and should have never left the factory like this. He found the crane was bent, the cylinder gap was almost non-existent, and the ejector rod was obviously bent. Also, the hammer was riding against the frame. He said he's been seeing a LOT of SP101s like mine coming into his shop in the past few years with nearly identical problems, and he said it was "a shame because fundamentally they're great guns". He said to send it back to Ruger AGAIN. because he didn't feel comfortable trying to repair it as flawed as it appeared. (Ammo I used was WWB from Wal-Mart)

I sent my SP back to Ruger once again with a detailed note explaining everything. Once again, Ruger stood by their product and completely replaced it with a new one. I took it to the range, and shot 100 rounds of .38 and +P loads thru it with no problems. Honestly, though, I have lost my confidence in the SP as a reliable carry piece, and I will NOT shoot .357 thru it ever. Perhaps one day my confidence in it will return, but is ain't there yet. Currently, my SP is sitting in the gun safe. I've since began carrying a .38+P LCR for pocket carry that has been flawless so far.

Kudos to Ruger for standing behind their products. However, I think their QC is seriously lacking....just my experience. Yours may vary.