RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruger SP101
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:14 am 
Newly Registered

There were two guns I have wanted for a long time, a SP101 and a SR45. I have owned many guns over the years and shoot them a lot. I found a SP101 in .357mag for $365. The guy said he bought it in 2009 and shot it around 50 times. The gun is in fantastic shape, original box, manual and lock. I was the happiest guy in the world. Took it to the range and fired 50 38spl Remington 130 gr thru it, plus 50 rounds of a handload .357 mag loaded to 38spl +p power. The gun handle the rounds and hardly kicked. It is the 2 1/2' barrel version. Still the happiest guy in the world. Then.... I purchased some Federal 158gr JHP .357 magnums and went to the range a second time with this gun. The best I could do is three rounds before the cylinder would lock up. I mean I couldn't pull the trigger or thumb back the hammer. I had to open up the cylinder eject the rounds and reload it back up. It happened everytime, it would fire two or three then lock up. I have shot .357mag, 44 mag and tons of revolvers, but never had this happen. I a left handed so I wasn't hitting the cylinder release during recoil. Frustrating as hell. Took the gun apart, no dirt, no metal shavings, springs look new, no burrs or anything obvious that looked broken. Reassembled it and dry fired it, it is smooth as silk. Took it to the range a third time and loaded it with magnums and it locked up after two or three rounds. This gun is pure junk. Any suggestions?
I also bought a SR45 and had to send it to Ruger a month ago. I will post about it in the semi forum.

Post subject: Re: Ruger SP101
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:23 am 
Buckeye

I would verify that the problem only exists with the Federals, if it only happens with one type of ammo you could either stay away from that cartridge, or, you will at least have a little more information to give Ruger when you call them.

"I buy guns to shoot and not to fondle and admire" RugerForum Member 5of7

NRA Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:10 pm 
Hawkeye

Sometimes bullets jump crimp and will bind up the cylinder. Sorry you are having problems. My son has one like yours, has had a steady diet of magnums with no problems for close to 20 years. I have one with a 3 inch barrel. Lots of mag rounds down range, no problems. Why did the original owner sell it?
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:16 pm 
Buckeye

I have one in .357 , shoots all ammo , no problems .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:34 pm 
Buckeye

check the primers on the fired rounds , check to see if they're flowing back into the fireing pin hole , too hot of loads can or if the hole is too large it can cause that to happen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:18 pm 

The majority of the time this is caused by powder built up and not cleaned out under the ejector star. There's an old toothbrush in my range bag just for the purpose of sweeping out that area.

If you're sure that's not happening in this case, call Ruger.

Likely they'll fix it for free.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:01 pm 
Hunter

Please tell us what you did to troubleshoot the problem. With that information there are many people here on the forum that can give suggestions on what to look for to see if it is the SP101's fault or something external to it.

We would also like to know how familiar you are with shooting revolvers. If you have shot a lot of revolvers in the past then you should be somewhat familiar with what can happen and what can cause problems such as what you are experiencing.

If the bullet is not jumping the crimp (making it too long and thusly causing cylinder binding) then it could be particulate matter getting under the extractor star and when you open the cylinder and eject the unfired and fired rounds the particles may dislodge allowing it to seat correctly again and fire some more until another build up happens. Remember, different brands of ammo burn differently and especially in a short barreled revolver there could be a lot of unburned powder that can get anywhere in the moving parts.

Also as said, if the primer cup is not as hard as it should be, when it is fired it can and will be forced back into the recoil shield (which is where the hole for the firing pin is located). With enough power it can force the primer back hard enough to embed it into the firing pin hole and jam the cylinder. When the cylinder is opened, the force of opening the cylinder can dislodge it enough for the cylinder to open and thus the cycle is repeated - in this case because of the ammunition being used.

No revolver binding condition is caused the same thing each time, that's why we ask for as much information as possible.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:09 pm 
Newly Registered

To answer a few questions. I am an experienced revolver shooter. 40 plus years. I have shot ever type of revolver in almost every caliber. I was using Federal ammo, and also tried other rounds from various manufacturers. This gun is binding up using magnums, +p ammo, and 38spl rounds. It shoots 2 or 3 rounds and then it binds up tight as can be. I checked the ammo closely- no split cases, primers were seated, and the cases looked fine. This last range trip I noticed that on a few occasions when the trigger couldn't be pulled or the hammer thumbed back that the cylinder was loose. By loose I mean it would rotate a quarter of an inch or so by hand. But even after rotating the cylinder into a locked position, the trigger still couldn't be pulled or the hammer cocked by hand. It is very frustrating. I have owned literally hundreds of revolvers and have never had this happen. I have disassembled the gun after ever range trip and cleaned it thoroughly. It will dry fire smooth as silk. But put a couple or rounds down range and it locks up tight.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:11 pm 

Not sure why you'd disassemble a revolver to clean it but ...... to each their own.

Call Ruger; looks like you've covered all other options.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 pm 
Blackhawk

Check your barrel/cylinder gap. On some SP101's it's just too tight. A shim usually fixes the problem without a trip back to the factory. Let us know how things work out.

Best Regards,
ADP3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:04 am 
Blackhawk

Yes. Send it to Ruger.
They’ll figure it out. And probably fix it for free.
If you call and ask them nicely, they may even send you a call tag and you won’t have to pay shipping.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:48 am 
Single-Sixer

+1 send it to ruger, my sp101 in 327 federal magnum was doing something similar, sent it back, they replaced the pawl, no more problems, it was seven days from when I shipped to the day it returned, very quick turn around.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm 
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies, sending back to Ruger on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:23 pm 
Newly Registered

Some SP101's are only able to shot 125 grain 357. If your gun is one of those it should have a roll mark somewhere that says "125 GR Bullet". When you shoot heavier grain what you describe happens. overall cartridge should not exceed 1.57 inches.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm 
Bearcat

I have a 2008 Sp101 3 inch. It loves American eagle 158 grain soft points. As others have said Ruger will fix it.