RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Interesting tidbit
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:56 am 
Single-Sixer

There goes the generic response of the “part with the serial number is the gun”!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:03 pm 
Ruger Guru

The barrel is a component that has nothing to do with firing the gun (i.e. firing mechanism).
Look where the serial number is (the one that matters) that is on all modern firearms.
Chet15

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:04 pm 
Blackhawk

The fact a manufacturer additionally serializes extraneous parts attached to a firearm receiver does not create a new firearm. WTH are folks really thinking to even postulate that? Ruger isn’t the first to have done this, and isn’t the only one doing it.

Just silly.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:08 pm 
Hawkeye

Point is that it's a relatively new thing with Ruger. In fact, we have seen evidence that the serial number also appears on the grip frame, hidden by the grip panels, on certain revolvers. Anything that potentially affects how certain firearms features are seen by the BATFE is worthy of discussion. After all, who would ever have suspected that a certain plastic stock configuration could somehow have been redefined as a machine gun?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:27 pm 
Blackhawk

There is absolutely no reason for the ATF to change any position such a grip frame or barrel suddenly becomes its own Title 1 firearm simply because a manufacturer stamped a number onto it.

Calm down, Chicken Little. It’s an inventory tracking mechanism, not a big brother conspiracy to make firearms unobtainable. He11, by the ATF definitions for acceptable marking practices, any hidden serial number is unacceptable anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm 
Hawkeye

Varminterror, is it even possible for you to respond to the simple question "Am I wrong?" without your smart aleck comments? We're sharing information in the Ruger Revolvers section of the Forum. You might want to stick to sharing information without belittling other members comments with your superior than thou attitude.

In case you havn't noticed, you're the only one who's responded like that in this thread, and you've done it twice.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm 
Hunter

Touchy? :)

Anyway, they could stamp the serial #s every square inch of the gun (grip frame, barrel, cylinder, cylinder frame, pawl, trigger, etc.) and the only one that matters is the one on the side of the cylinder frame.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:48 am 
Blackhawk

Yes, Cholo, you are wrong.

I don’t have much tolerance for fear-mongering, nor for propagation of untruths, either of which is what you’re doing. So take the information given to you in this thread - adding extra serial numbers on firearm parts will not force any addition parts to become Title 1 firearms, subsequently requiring FFL involvement or 4473 FTR’s.

The ATF has never looked to the manufacturers to be told which part is the receiver, colloquially dubbed, “the gun.” The post above which suggests the advice, “the part with the serial number is the gun,” has NEVER been the advice of the ATF, and would only be the BAD advice of someone not sufficiently knowledgeable to give it.

The ATF instructs manufactures on where the serial number must be placed. If the manufacturer satisfies that, the ATF doesn’t care where else it might appear. Having the same number extra places doesn’t change anything in their ruling or definition of component parts.

Glocks have had serial numbers on barrels and slides for decades. Many bolt rifles used to have serial numbers stamped into the inlet channel. Revolver makers, Ruger included, have scribed digits of the serial into cranes and cylinders for decades as well. None of these things have ever affected their legal status as a component vs. Title 1 firearm. The laser engraving on the barrel is new for Ruger, but it’s not new, and it won’t affect any ATF requirements.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 am 
Single-Sixer

I believe varminterror and rclark are absolutely, 100% correct.

Many firearms have been manufactured with various parts serialized. But the ATF directed part (usually receiver) is the ONLY part that matters.

As someone stated, you could put the serial number on every single part, including the screws, and it wouldn't matter.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:10 am 
Hawkeye

Going from the Mark II and III to the Mark IV, didn’t Ruger relocate the serial number to make everyone happier?

Something about the serial number on the barrel of the II’s and III’s made it hard or impossible to send via the post office without an FFL.

But now, in reading this thread, it makes it sound like I can mail a serial numbered barrel through the Post Office? The receiver part of the Mark II gun doesn’t have a serial number on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 pm 
Blackhawk

The receiver of Ruger Standard and Mark .22 pistols per the ATF is the cylindrical tube that includes the barrel and where the bolt rides. To my knowledge, this is and always has been a serialized part of these guns. The "frame" with the fire controls is not serialized and can be sent through USPS without restriction.

I don't know if it's possible to separate the barrel on most Mark .22 pistols from the receiver. I was of the impression that they are at very least a press fit, if not manufactured as a single piece. The more recent pistols with aluminum uppers I believe have a removable steel barrel liner, although I remember reading something from Ruger that specifically advised against removing it.

In short, I don't think anything has changed re: which part of the Ruger Mark pistols is legally the firearm.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:32 pm 
Buckeye

"Something about the serial number on the barrel of the II’s and III’s made it hard or impossible to send via the post office without an FFL."

The USPS can only be used to ship handguns by FFL dealers. C&R holders can not mail handguns. Non FFL holders can mail long guns to FFL holders.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 pm 
Blackhawk

@kevin - you must be confusing different models and activities. The Mark I, II, III, and IV pistols all have the serial number on the right side of the tubular “upper” receiver, forward of the ejection port. Equally, there’s nothing the postmaster ever sees of a firearm, whether shipped via USPS or contract carrier.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:24 am 
Single-Sixer

My word! This is much hubbub over absolutely nothing. Most of the stuff I collect has a serial number on all of the "hand fitted" parts. The entire number if space allows and the last digit or two as a minimum - screws, barrels, bolts, stocks, butt plates, sights, triggers, etc., etc........

I'm not the sharpest bulb in the knife.....box..er....wait, it goes...ah....well, never mind.

I just don't understand what all the excitement is about.

The sixth man gets to dig the lead out of the tree." ((Lem) Sgt. York)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 am 
Hawkeye

Huh, I guess I did have it wrong about the Mark IV serial numbers. I thought I remembered reading about Ruger moving the location to make it easier for replacement uppers to be bought and sold online.

I only have Mark II’s and have only seen the 4’s under glass at the store, never held one yet. Too tempted to buy one if I did....