RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New GP Match Champion
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:49 pm 

So today I stumbled into a really reasonable deal on a LNIB (from 2015) GP100 357 Match Champion.

I've never had much interest in new guns or commemoratives / special edition / collectors, etc. And by the pics of the Match Champion, the grips are hideous.

Well ... :oops: ... the grips are much better looking in person and they are very comfortable! Not sure I'll shoot this gun much (or at all) but including the grips it's very well put together.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 pm 
Hunter

I thought the same when I saw pics of the grips. Then when I held one I thought not only do they look good, but they feel great. Nice snag.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:35 pm 
Ruger Guru

I have a MC myself. I too feel the grips are SWEET in my hands. Enough so,, that I have a pair of them on another GP I own.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:42 am 
Single-Sixer

I put Altamont grips on mine that are close to the original wood and rubber GP grips. It is a good shooter.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am 
Buckeye

I have the 10mm MC and love the Houge grip. I carried a revolver( 6" M66 or 6" nickel M19) on duty for 20 years before switching to an auto. I'd carry a MC in a heartbeat. My dream MC would be one in 41 Special. :mrgreen: Bob!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 pm 
Hunter

A very serious professional shooter (of bad people and good paper) told me long ago to shut my eyes when evaluating handguns and let your hands and wrists tell you what THEY think. If THEY love it, then look at the sights! If your eyes love them, THEN look at the rest of the gun, which is pretty much incidental compared to those first two factors. Ergonomics before esthetics, especially when your life might be at stake.

Fortunately when Bill Ruger was on the right side of the grass, few Ruger handguns were not both naturally functional and attractive to the eye.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:06 pm 
Hawkeye

Mike Armstrong wrote:
Fortunately when Bill Ruger was on the right side of the grass, few Ruger handguns were not both naturally functional and attractive to the eye.

Yep. He definitely had an eye for style and a feel for function.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:38 pm 
Single-Sixer

Rumrunner wrote:
I thought the same when I saw pics of the grips. Then when I held one I thought not only do they look good, but they feel great. Nice snag.
I Will second that!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 pm 

Put 100 rounds of 38 Special through it today.

Wow.

Very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:30 pm 
Bearcat

I bought a new GP100 MC in 2013, figuring I'd use as a jeep trail gun. So, bought a nice Bianchi UM84R miltary style flap holster in camo for OWB carry. Shot a few times with pleasure but not since. Seems a trend as I age - too many to shoot done too infrequently. Nonetheless, its a beauty. Instead, I usually pack my S&W M&P 45c pistol which is less pretty and relative disposable. Go figure... :?