Comparison of LCR and S&W 642

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've had them both, I like them both but frankly the LCR has a much better trigger. The S&W is priced slightly better, but I'm thinking most people can shoot the LCR better. Trigger control is a big deal. IMO, it's not enough to carry one of those guns. Five shooters should be 2 gun carry. Maybe one of each but which ever carry a good load and have both of them (called the NY reload). I know Evan Marshall the Detroit detective that wrote the books on ammo that are used on the street, he carries 2 guns all the time even now and he's (I'm thinking) 76 now. The nice thing is both are small enough they can be carried in your hand if you anticipate trouble ahead.
I sold my 642 and bought LCR's, I have a mix including 38's, 357 mag, 22 LR, the LCRx3" 38.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I looked at both the LCR and Smith 642 before deciding on the LCR. Checked both of them out for pocket carry, I couldn't see a difference between the two for that. The 642 at a local police supply house was $379, wound up getting the LCR on sale for $359. The trigger makes it easy to hit with, I'm happy with it...

414048932.jpg

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
I handled a 642 when I was looking...bought an LCR...I now own 3....areat little shooters all of them.

A Smith 638 humpback with the old OEM wood grips and Tyler grip adapter is my choice for pocket carry. The grips on the LCR are pretty sticky in my jeans pocket and the finger grooves just don't fit my hand very well. And, to me, a LCR just seems bulky compared to a J Frame. I have a couple of LCRs and enjoy them-I think my favorite is the 3" LCRX .38, which makes a dandy "kit gun".

The J frame's trigger is easy to improve with a spring kit and a little lubrication in the right places.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Both are good revolvers with good reputations for reliability and durability for their intended use.
I personally prefer the S&W 642 just because I have so much trigger time on mine. I started shooting S&W "J" frame revolvers in the 1983's and have carried one since 1988 either as primary or as back up. I started with a model 37 and then a 38 then 442. Currently it's a model 642 and occasionally a model 60.

Katz

Bearcat
I have LCRs a 22 mag and the 38 spec in 3in......reliable and easy to carry both....

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I like my LCR357 .... Like other centerfire models of the LCR's ...To me they have a better trigger when compared to the S&W J frame line up ..