Question about a NM Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I have a question about a current production NM Vaquero. (I'm an OM guy!!!!!!)
Current production.
Vaquero
.45 Colt,
Birdshead grip & 3-3/4" bbl.
Model listed by Ruger is 5151.

Is this one on the medium frame, or the large frame?

My guess is the medium frame,, but I need to be sure.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
The new ones should be the mid size frame. Also, if it's a 2 digit prefix SN it is a large frame, 3 digit prefix, it is a mid size frame.

Rclark

Hunter
That is a medium frame. If you look at the picture on the Ruger site, the serial # on the sample is three digits. Plus Ruger isn't making .45 Colt New Vaqueros on the large frame as far as I know (other than the .44Mag ones). The original Vaquero ended production back in 2005 when the New Vaquero was introduced.. I sure wish they'd just call it New Vaquero instead of Vaquero :roll: .

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/specSheets/5151.html

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If it's chambered for a cartridge like the 45 that was chambered in the original Vaquero, it's a New Vaquero and stamped that on the frame. Because it's a new smaller size version of the original Vaquero.

If chambered in a cartridge not chambered in the original Vaquero, like the 44 Spl, it's just a Vaquero and stamped Vaquero on the frame. Because it's the 1st version (only version) in that cartridge and not a new version of an older 44 spl Vaquero.

eveled

Hawkeye
My vote would have been Vaquero for the large, Vaqueroette for the mid.

New model and old model (when talking Ruger single actions), should mean transfer bar or not.

But we are stuck with what we got.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I know all about the 2 digit, vs the 3 digit large frame & mid frame points.

This is a CURRENT production item.

And I do know that they (Ruger) has confused us with the way the markings are. And I do know they have made some large framed Vaquero's with the 3 digit prefix. That's why I was asking.
My guess was that it's a mid-frame,, but I wanted someone who has a CURRENT gun to verify it. I tried looking at the pictures on the Ruger factory web site,, but I can not be sure.
My reason for asking is very important for the person I'm helping!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
eveled said:
1. My vote would have been Vaquero for the large, Vaqueroette for the mid.

2. New model and old model (when talking Ruger single actions), should mean transfer bar or not.

1. The NEW VAQUEROs on the mid frame cannot be VAQUERITOs; now that would be confusing because Ruger already used that name for the fixed sight Single Six small frame .22s and .32s!

2. Oh but it does, however, only if you don't confuse it with models that didn't exist with and w/o transfer bars.

Recognize though that Ruger terminology is specific, not generic, so "New Model" only refers to their guns that existed before transfer bars, which were changed by the addition of the transfer bar making them a new version of the old gun or a NEW MODEL.

We know there are no "Old Model" (pre transfer bar) Vaqueros, they were only made in the transfer bar era. So since there are no Old Model Vaqueros, you can't have a New Model of something that didn't exist before w/o a transfer bar.

That's why original Vaqueros are just that: Vaqueros. In 2005 Ruger made Vaqueros in a mid frame size, it's not a new size, but with a new feature, the chamber alignment system so they are NEW VAQUEROS since they existed as Vaqueros in the same calibers.

But the 44 Spl Vaquero did not exist as an "Original Vaquero" so it's not a New Vaquero, it was only introduced originally with the chamber alignment system, so once again, there's no old version and that makes it just a VAQUERO.

The more recently re-introduced large frame 44 Mag has the chamber alignment system, therefore it's a NEW VAQUERO.

The 3 digit serial # prefix denotes the chamber alignment system, that all New Vaqueros have, not the frame size which is a misunderstanding.

So I don't understand the confusion, it's just a misunderstood very simple concept that's all very logical!