180 Grain LFNGC in SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

csnider

Single-Sixer
I am looking to purchase either a SP101 in a Willy Capp or 4.2 configuration. It is going to be my "Bear Gun" on next year's float trip on the Charlie River in Alaska. Plan on loading it with 180gr. LFNGC with either Doubletap, Underwood or Buffalo Bore rounds. Does anyone have experience with these rounds in a SP101 in either a 3-inch or 4.2 inch model and which would you recommend? I also plan on carrying some of Underwood's Extreme Penetrators.

Our party will be in packrafts, which if you're not familiar with are a fairly small craft. So long guns are out of the question, but we will all being carrying bear spray as well. I have small hands and a Glock 40 or larger revolvers don't fit my hands. I've carried .454 Casull revolvers in the past and have no confidence in my ability to hit any anything moving as fast as a bear. I have over thirty years of paddling in bear county in Alaska and British Columbia and am comfortable and knowledgeable in camping in either black or brown bear country.

I have a SP-101 with a 3 inch barrel. Occasionally when in black bear country, I will use it loaded with 200 gr CorBon's. When in big bear(Brown or Polar Bear) I switch to a RedHawk 4 inch barrel with 300 gr over 2400. Good luck!
gramps

woodsy

Blackhawk
Yeah, I handloaded 180 gr. jacketed bullets over max weights of Power Pistol, for my GP100, when we went to Yellowstone. Didn't use any (luckily) but fired a dozen at the indoor range at home, first, to sense their recoil. They really kick. Arriving home, a couple weeks later went to the range again and took my 4" SP. I tried THREE of those rounds, and that was it. Way too much for even my large hands to enjoy, in a lighter weight revolver. Be forewarned.

DPris

Buckeye
I have fired hot 180s in my 4.2 adjustable sight SP, and carried it in a chest rig.
Produces same velocities as a comparable-barreled GP, sights just as good, accuracy comparable, lighter weight, lose one round.

Recoil, with Hogue wood, is very tolerable.
And that's in a non-underlugged barrel.
Denis

Well, sounds like you've certainly got a fair amount of experience. I'd consider 3 things.
Forget the SP101 and go with a 45 Colt, loaded warmly. In a Single Action Grip I figure it's the right size for your hand, or even better a Ruger Alaskan 454 with 45 Colt loads from Buffalo Bore. See if you can rent one and shoot it before buying.

Take a couple of Air Horns with you. That's something that bears don't run into often and I've seen it work pretty well with "curious" bears.

Consider taking an electric fence, to put around camp. Personally I've also used a Red strobe that people put on their life jackets, that flashes every few seconds. Takes a D cell battery. It's kept bears out of camp even with moose and caribou hanging.

Out of curiosity what have you been using the last 30 years. Reasonably certain you didn't use a hand gun in the Yukon. Over the last 30 years people have been running into more and more bears.
I've shot 180's out of my3" SP101, and it's controllable enough. I use Trausch grips and have been very pleased with them. Certainly it's better than nothing. I've spent a fair amount of time around grizzlies and prefer something that starts with a 4. Curious what you used before and how it's not adequate anymore?

Pal Val

Buckeye
I've loaded 180's for my SP101 3"bbl. Not for the señoritas! It´s controllable with the Pachmayr grips I have on it, but the kick is pretty strong. The SP101 used to be my camp gun, until I bought a .44 mag SB Bisley 3.75" bbl. More power, pretty accurate, and only slightly heavier. Very slow reload, but I don't expect to get into a gunfight with a bear.

csnider

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack,

I've carried 12gauge with slugs in the Kodiak Islands. Felt that was totally inadequate the first time a really big boy stood to look at us. Buddy took a 22 pistol but said it was for him not the bears; Alaskan 454 on a couple of trips down the Copper (saw more big browns on these trips than I have in the Kodiaks or on Admriality Island). We have used the "bear fences" in the Arctic. Seemed to work well when my buddy remembered to turn it on.

In Canada we only carry bear spray since firearms are so difficult to get in. Even had some Canadian custom guys though be real assholes about bringing in our own bear spray. Said it had to be bought in Canada and was illegal to bring in from the States. The black bears out on Vancouver Island are plentiful but shy, but it was not unusual to see bear tracks all around your tent the morning.

csnider

Single-Sixer
Guys,

Think I'am going to go with a Glock 40. Little big for my hands but recoil is so light I can handle it easily. I've had a couple in the past and even my granddaughter could handle it.

Still may get a SPS in the 4.2 Match Champion version just because I want one.

Thanks for all of your input and comments.

Charlie

Jon406

Single-Sixer
For the outdoors, I carry HSM 180-gr WNGC

DSCF3716.jpg

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
For the most part Bear Paw Jack and I agree. I own SP101s 3-inch and 4.2-inch. I've shot 180-grain WFN-GC heavy handloads in both revolvers - pretty much to confirm the my friend and I can consider her safely armed when we woods walk or deer/elk hunt.

NO CONFIRMATION. The handload - certainly no more brutal than something from the OP's boutique manufacturers - furnishes one shot to point of aim. Subsequent shots scattered every-which-way. Recoil from the light OEM grip rendered the revolver unshootable.

We switched to my Freedom Arms Model 97 5.5-inch barrel 45 Colt. My handloads with Saeco 300-grain SWC-GC are slightly higher performance numbers than factory 300-grain 44 Magnum ammunition. These were unshootable after the first round also. Recoil broke her grip too much. I switched her to a slightly heavy 255-grain Saeco SWC-PB.

SHOOTABLE! The conclusions I decided was valid include the following.
- Single action grip is easier to control when repeat shots are somewhat less of an emergency than a mugger with knife attacking from 5 yards away. This translates to being able to control larger caliber moderately potent cartridges.

- Larger calibers of moderate power will at least match the effectiveness of "maximum" power heavy-for-bore-size boutique 357 Magnum ammunition.

- Heavier 45-caliber revolvers will be easier to control with my moderately powerful 45 Colt ammunition - and comparable factory ammunition - than when using my light Model 97.

Hope something in my mishmash helps.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Well, sounds like you've certainly got a fair amount of experience. I'd consider 3 things.
Forget the SP101 and go with a 45 Colt, loaded warmly. In a Single Action Grip I figure it's the right size for your hand, or even better a Ruger Alaskan 454 with 45 Colt loads from Buffalo Bore. See if you can rent one and shoot it before buying.

Take a couple of Air Horns with you. That's something that bears don't run into often and I've seen it work pretty well with "curious" bears.

Consider taking an electric fence, to put around camp. Personally I've also used a Red strobe that people put on their life jackets, that flashes every few seconds. Takes a D cell battery. It's kept bears out of camp even with moose and caribou hanging.

Out of curiosity what have you been using the last 30 years. Reasonably certain you didn't use a hand gun in the Yukon. Over the last 30 years people have been running into more and more bears.
I've shot 180's out of my3" SP101, and it's controllable enough. I use Trausch grips and have been very pleased with them. Certainly it's better than nothing. I've spent a fair amount of time around grizzlies and prefer something that starts with a 4. Curious what you used before and how it's not adequate anymore?

wb292

Bearcat
The wife and I are avid hikers. I carried my 3 inch SP on the trail for years. One morning we encountered a brown bear on the trail. This biggest one I have ever seen. I pulled my SP and we stood still. We were down wind and it never noticed us. After it moved on down the hill I stood there a little shaken. After all it was the biggest one I have seen. I looked at the SP and it just looked like it would not have the power to stop that bear if it came at us. Now I know a 357 is nothing to turn up my nose at. It is still my CCW . I'm just not 100% sure it was going to get the job done if it would have come to it. I purchased a Alaskan in 44mag. It is now my trail gun. It carries well in a chest harness and I do sleep a little better in the tent with it.

csnider

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all your comments and advice. Given up on a SP101 and have purchased a Glock 40 and a Ruger Blackhawk 10mm/40S&W Convertible. Also purchased a supply of 10mm ammo including Underwood's 200gr. HCFN, Extreme Penetrator and 180 gr. Bonded JH. Going to see which model works best for me for follow-up shots and accuracy.

Regards,
Charlie

Nothing wrong with a Blackhawk in 10mm but I'm not sure it will be more effective than the same gun in .45 Colt with hard cast heavy bullet loads from Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

Latest posts