Price Check: 1964 Ruger Bearcat 95%+

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yes, the steel parts (barrel, cylinder and the housing if it is steel and was not changed to a later aluminum one) can be touched up with some good cold blue, we like 44/40 from Gun Parts, New York, works MOST of the time quite well on Rugers...as noted above the main frame (black/blue) and the trigger guard (gold/brass) are anodized and do NOT polish them out, underneath is silver( white) aluminum and when polished out on a Bearcat looks like CRAP.........many hammers are partially blued,top, front and back, the sides polished.........wide spur on your gun prooves it is the "safety update" conversion,it is a nice touch......still looks like a very nice gun overall..... :wink:

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Thx all!

I'm surprised at how small it is. Nothing like my Blackhawks. Kind of cute actually.

A good cleaning and touch up, and I'm good to go!

Personally I don't mind (although I don't have any) the conversion process on the Bearcats as so many people use the gun for children and grandchildren to start shooting with. Just a little more safety in the process. Plus you got a great deal but you can also sell the preconversion kit to someone who is a purist or collector and wants one to convert a gun back to original. Not sure what they go for specifically but if kids are what you have in mind you could end up with even less into your gun. Just a FYI.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Actually it was an impulse buy. The person needed money and I like the older Ruger's. I don't have children or grandchildren, so it'll just end up being another horse in the stable until I turn around and let it go to someone else. First I'll clean it up and then look for a box and papers. Then I'll decide what to do with it. Who knows, I might even shoot it even though I prefer .357.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
There's a box on Ebay right now with bidding starting at $75 w/$7 shipping ($82 total). It includes a 1967 manual. I need the 1964. The buy now price is $97.50. Seems high to me considering I don't need the 1967 manual.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
lvtwentytwo,

Couple things for your great deal Bearcat. The discussion about Ruger won't most likely change a barrel on a Bearcat; Work order indicates "repaired". Removed to repair is doubtfull but I can not think of what might be a repaired on a barrel still on frame. rugerguy may know.

The blued hammer you commented on has a wide spur and may be from the conversion kit Ruger installed. You have not unconverted it yet? Wide spur hammers as used on Super Blackhawks are often preferred by some. I think the lines on yours has been improved. I have not seen a conversion kit for the Bearcat for sale.

Again nice gun at nice price.

SATCOM

PS. Bearcat boxes are more scarce than Super Bearcat boxes resulting in higher prices. $75 is a bargain for a good Bearcat box.

Nice pictures, that is a fine looking Bearcat ,and yes the wide spur hammer makes it "converted",as for touch up??? maybe the barrel , front end around the muzzle ,leave the rest of the gun alone, it looks fine, grips, maybe a wipe down with some RIG on a sheepskin...all in all it looks good

and $75 for a Bearcat box ( not Super) is a very good price, makes the "package" worth lots more.....
the small manuels can be found, heck even a 'reprint' would do......

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
SATCOM,

No, I decided to leave it "as is" for now (converted). Maybe someday in the near future I'll put the original parts back in.

I picked up a really nice box for it 2 weeks ago for $75. I also found the undated manual and picked that up for $12. So, now I have everything! Hurray, and on to my next project; a 1975 Stainless Ruger Single Six Convertible!!!!