Modern Guns do not shoot cast bullets !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Major T

Blackhawk
My 38/357 are all older S&W, but they all love 148 wadcutters. Both my 44s are Rugers and they are 12 and about 7 years old. Once upon a time I bought a box of 1000 hard Keith type 240 grain bullets. Both the Magnum and Special love them over moderate charges of Unique. Happy, happy.

Jack

JD2

Bearcat
My 3" LCRx shoots cast bullets just fine. Groups run just under 3 inches or so at 25 yards. It is hard to shoot that well and takes concentration as the trigger is about 5 pounds single action. My woods carry load is the Hornady 158 grains SWCHP loaded to about 900 fps. Both that load and hard cast 158 SWC bullets shoot well out of such a light gun. It has become my favorite gun to carry while wondering in the woods or hiking...

old sparky

Bearcat
I have no idea of how many pistols I have had. They all will shoot cast bullets well IF they are the correct diameter. I even have a open sight 38/55 rifle that will shoot Moa out to a hundred after a lot of playing with the diameter and lube. Another thing I have been taught is any cast bullet whether hard, soft or magic coated will lead the bore if they are to small. the hot gas gets by the base and liquefies the lead. Casting can be cheaper, and rewarding.

thanks, Sparky

bigbill

Single-Sixer
I started loading leadcast bullets from Carolina they were moly coated that cut down on the leading in the barrel.

Tom W

Blackhawk
Well, I took my SRH to the SO range today with 310 gr Lee bullets and a healthy load of H110. We were on the rifle range shooting at metallic silhouettes @ 100 yards or more, and hitting them with regularity. Open sights. My Ruger #1B in 30-06 A.I. was also with me, and I was shooting it with 14 Gr. of Red Dot at the same targets with 170 gr RD gc bullets. If I would have believed the naysayers I might have stayed home, but the cast did just fine, as expected..

Here are my latest results pushing my own cast bullets harder than most would dare pushing jacketed bullets in a 327 Federal,, OH thats right, you can't find jacketed pistol bullets for any 32 this heave!

Yes another modern cartridge the 327 Federal, along side the old decrepit 357 mag. 170 grain cast HP as I cast it, in the 357, at a lowly 1455 fps,, and the 132grain as I cast penta HP in the 327 federal at a mild 1500+ fps, over 15 grains heavier than any jacketed bullet available for this caliber.
140-grn-_Sledghammers-_Penta-.jpg

Then after tweaking the 327 load at 50 yards nearly clipping along at 1550 fps with accuracy rivaling some rifles, again with a bullet weight that is not even available commercially in a jacketed form.
Sledghamer-at-50-yards_copy.jpg

I caution anyone that this is with a surplus bulk Magnum pistol powder that is not commercially available as a canister powder! It is an out of the box, 6" HB 327 GP-100. The Bisley is a custom sixgun and no way do I suggest these loads are safe in any other revolver!

rkcohen

Bearcat
"Modern Guns do not shoot cast bullets !"

...shh! that'll be your little secret...

JStacy

Blackhawk
My new 6" 327 GP100 , wildcatter's fault, shot some light loads, heavy 32 mag but light 327 , and it grouped them quite nicely into 2" groups from two handed hold , open sights, at 25 yards. An old Skeeter Skelton load in 32 mag case.
The gun did not like the Federal eagle 100 SP load. 3-4" at 25 yards and man that is a hot load !!