Ruger SP101 Match Champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
I see that Ruger released a SP101 Match Champion. 4.2" barrel. What competition would this be a player in?
IDPA requires 4.25 length barrel or less than 3" for BUG.

Hip Shot

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Could it be for the showing off and shooting competition at the local range, where most custom revolvers end up being shot. :D

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Nice-looking gun.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/6/21/ruger-announces-new-sp101-match-champion-in-357-mag/

I'm not interested in competition, but I'd love to have one anyway, especially if the trigger is as good as the GP-100 MC I handled a while back.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Glad you posted. I like it. Looking for a small revolver and I liked the S&W that looks like this but it only has the 3 inch barrel.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Why do they keep putting fiber optic sights on guns as standard equipment?

Aside from that, looks like a sharp little revolver.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I believe the 4.2" barrel length is an attempt to please everyone. Their Canadian market requires a 4.2" barrel length to circumvent regulations there which puts all 4" barreled pistols and revolvers into a prohibited class with very limited consumers with that designation on their license. 4.2" jumps those handguns into restricted class available to all firearms owners. Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,,, the idea of a competition gun, makes me question it's use in such competitions as I too don't know of any venue where it would be used. HOWEVER,,, it is modeled after the GP-100,,, so I'd assume it's a name thing.
As for fiber optics,,, those are VERY common on many competition guns,,, and quite nice for fast sight alignment for many. And if they are not to your liking,, they are easily swapped out.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Hmmm, sounds like they use the same springs and shims they throw out of your gun if you send it in for service.???
Well at least they are beginning to realize the action can be improved and not be the end of the world.
Sure wish they would learn how good a square butt grip feels on that 4 inch gun or at least make it an option.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I would much rather have seen a GP-100 4.2" ten shot .22 Match Champion. It would be a perfect training tool for the centerfire MC. I know Davisons has their version and it is close, but without the slab sided barrel and and stippled Hogue grips. My 2 cents worth. Bob!! :(

JStacy

Blackhawk
Mostly just marketing ploy to see how it would fair against the S&W pro series. It also probably cost a little more with that moniker on it . The wood grips are nice ! I have a set of Hoges on my SP101 and , IMHO, make the gun look better.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
".....on my SP101 and , IMHO, make the gun look better."

Do they make it shoot more comfortably than the stock grips? I can not imagine shooting a .357 101 with the stock grips and full loads.

Glad someone posted about the match champion. I like the looks. I am looking for a smaller .357 than my 6" 686. Choices seem to be S&W model 60 with 3" barrel, round butt 686 with 3" barrel, or a SP 101 with 4.2 inch barrel. If S&W made one of the 2 guns I listed with a 4" barrel the search would have been over last fall.

It does look like I can get about the same gun as the match champion by putting better grips on a standard 101. Could I live without the "target crowned" barrel? Probably. Been on the Buds site. the 101 match champion is listed now. Probably going to drive up to Buds in Pigeon Forge today or tomorrow. They probably will not have it in stock but we will see. I must admit that so far the round butt 686 with the wooden grips is the most comfortable stock gun I have picked up and I am not looking for concealed carry, just something reasonably portable. My 6" 686 with the huge wooden Hogue mono grip occupies a lot of space.

gunzo

Hunter
needsmostuff said:
Hmmm, sounds like they use the same springs and shims they throw out of your gun if you send it in for service.???

LOL, sounds like you've been there?

My GP MC had to go in for a new cylinder. Don't know if it had the advertised shims when it got to Ruger, but it sure didn't have any when it came back to me. Thought about calling them & telling them I want my shims. :cry: