Bought a new gun with no rifling, single six .32

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAJohn

Hunter
It may be a less rare mistake than we know. A co-worker once showed my his brand new Colt Trooper in .357 with no rifling. I, of course, explained the legal problem and had him contact Colt about it. I suggested that he ask for an upgrade swap to the Python or an SAA because of the possible trouble this gun could cause him but he elected to go for a straight across exchange.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Thanks Denis, I didn't know all those rules is at all. As GunnyGene pointed out, it must be just the crazy categorization of gun's and purely cosmetic at that. I can understand why ful autos or silencers or short barreled rifles are on these lists, but rifling in a barrel? Wow.

You should read up on the NFA (1934) and the GCA (1968). Both brought to you by Democrats (FDR & Johnson). They were the predecessors of the many thousands of infringements on the 2A that we are having to cope with today at all levels; Federal, State, and Local. It's why you can't legally transfer a handgun outside your home state without going thru a FFL, among other things. In fact, there was no such thing as an FFL prior to 1968.

JEB308

Bearcat
I contacted Ruger and they were in denial that it left the factory like this but I'm quite sure it's never been fired for the gent I bought it from has been quite adiment about it. Also I only fired it 5 times and the cylinder indicates only that for five chambers have the black ring from firing and the one is still shinny. I asked a lot of questions about fixing it and the main problem we come up with is they have no parts to fix it no barrels. The lady never said oh you better send it in but left that option to me but did say if I did the only thing they could do is after determining it did leave the factory like this is they would exchange a pistol with me at a discount. "DISCOUNT"!! I said it better be like a straight across trade, well I didn't get any confirmation on that other than they will do their best to make it up to me. I did buy this from an individual but this person worked for several years for a gun shop and had got this gun there and put it up for all these years he admired it and showed it off but just never fired it. Hell I've got guns I've never fired and never look down the barrel but I have been looking at everyone I get out of the safe now. I think I'm going to send it in and see what they have in exchange for it. I think I'd like to have an sp101 327 I wonder how much boot they would expect on that one.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Either send it to Ruger or have a custom barrel fitted. I can do the barrel work myself , so that would be my choice. Either way,Untill that barrel is removed from the frame,you have an illegal piece in your possession.

Another thought,your barrel could be lined. A smith could install a barrel liner.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Some folks say they don't understand why short barrel shotguns are illegal without a stamp, really?? :roll:

My question would be how much rifling can be removed from a handgun barrel, say for some old gun you want to use for snake shooting in the brush, before it is considered a smooth bore. :D

Chuck 100 yd said:
Either send it to Ruger or have a custom barrel fitted. I can do the barrel work myself , so that would be my choice. Either way,Untill that barrel is removed from the frame,you have an illegal piece in your possession.

Another thought,your barrel could be lined. A smith could install a barrel liner.
Why spend all that money when Ruger should make a good trade on another gun for him?

Go to Hamilton Bowen's website or his book and look up the paradox single actions he builds. I believe they are smooth bore except for a short bit of rifling on the end to allow them to qualify as a revolver and not s short barrel shotgun. Seems like his are rifled for 1" or so near the end.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
Go to Hamilton Bowen's website or his book and look up the paradox single actions he builds. I believe they are smooth bore except for a short bit of rifling on the end to allow them to qualify as a revolver and not s short barrel shotgun. Seems like his are rifled for 1" or so near the end.
That is so cool, thanks, ...and somewhat relevant considering I asked a question and we are talking about a smooth bore handgun. Just a little side bar so to speak. We can fudge a little on the topic can't we? :D

DPris

Buckeye
The point I was attempting to make is that a barrel with even a small section of rifling at the end is in a totally different category from the smoothbore barrel in question.
The first is legal, the second is not.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
Years ago a cohort at work was talking about a Lorcin he'd booked into Evidence & laughing over the smoothbore barrel he'd noticed in it.

"Boy, those are REALLY cheap guns, they don't even bother to put rifling in 'em!"

Uh, no- that's not standard production, they're required by federal law to HAVE rifling or they fall under NFA 1934.
Somebody goofed on that one.
Denis

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I was in charge of training at a regional police academy in Afghanistan from 2006-07. One of my advisors came to me with a problem. He told me that one of the Afghan firearm instructors was having a problem qualifying with the issue handgun, the S&W 9mm Sigma. This Afghan was a great shot with the AMD-65 (AK-47 w/ a folding stock).

My advisor shot this handgun and it was keyholing at 15 yards. He fieldstripped it and the barrel only had one land.

So yes, sometimes the factory screws up.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
If its is an old model, I would at least consider having it converted to .44 Special (or maybe even the wildcat .41 Special.)

You could have the existing smooth-bored barrel rebored to .44 or .41 Spec.

JEB308

Bearcat
varminter22 said:
If its is an old model, I would at least consider having it converted to .44 Special (or maybe even the wildcat .41 Special.)

It's the single six frame, so I'm not sure I could go that big of a cartridge.
For right now I think I'm just going to leave it as is. To me it's kind of unique. What I would like to do with it is somehow if possible have a new cylinder and Barrel for it in 22mag. I'm going to be checking on that and seeing if it's possible. Going to make another call to Ruger this week. I did learn something tho the first person I talked to wasn't all that helpful, then I called back with another question and got someone else and she was sympathetic and even went to check and see if they even had parts to fix it which they do not. So, if one doesn't answer your questions totally then call back and you may get someone else that will. So, if I was to send it in they would keep it and offer me a choice of another current production pistol of my choice with a discount. So many paths I could take with this one, what should I do, and what current pistol should I opt for cause I'm not particular to anything at this time other than if I could get a sweet deal on a rather expensive gun would suit me. I may go a 1911 route, or a bearcat, what would you choose, if had the choice.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
JEB308 said:
varminter22 said:

It's the single six frame, so I'm not sure I could go that big of a cartridge. ...
Ooops. I should have seen that!! Sorry.