Blackhawk vs. Redhawk differences ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know the obvious difference, but are there any benefits of a Blackhawk over a Redhawk? I just read the other thread about accuracy. The defining points being the shooter more than the gun, to a point anyway. But ya know Christmas is coming. I realized yet another year is passing and I find myself without a 41 magnum....plus the last gun I bought wasn't a Ruger, so I need to make up for that...

Would a Blackhawk or a Redhawk be better? I saw a listing for a 41 mag Redhawk recently and got to thinking about the differences....

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I was sold on trying a Ruger Single-action the minute I saw one and realized they were a modern improvement over the Colt SA Army. Knowing I couldn't afford an old Colt single-action didn't hurt either. The Redhawk and Super Redhawks are just big GP-100's. :D

tinman

Buckeye
Sorta depends on weather you wanna spend half of your shooting time cocking the hammer or not.......kidding.....sorta...... :roll:
I have a RH in 45/45 and a BH 357/9mm. Both are fun guns to shoot......... :mrgreen: ..........but when the time comes to go into the deep dark woods pursuing critters that fight back, it will be the RH all the way. 8)

s4s4u

Hunter
I cock my DA's as well as my SA's so no difference there to me. I find the GP-100 grip to feel better in the hand, as well as the Bisley, rather than the plowhandle or RH. I won't own a BH or SBH unless it has the Bisley handle. The Bisley and the GP/SRH have similar traits, IMO

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I like both. Honestly no difference to me in accuracy as I too cock both before shooting.

As comparison - Both in 44 mag - I have a Bisley SBH Hunter and the Super Redhawk. I am a big fan of the Bisley handle but the large grip that comes on the Super Redhawk is the best I have used to handle stout 44 mag loads and a lot of shooting. If spending a day at the range just burning powder, I would pick up the Redhawk due to the "Hogue Tamer Monogrip" that comes with that model.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/models.html

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I will give you my experience with both. I Love my Redhawk 7.5" 44 Mag it shooters very straight and I can hit anything that I aim at. The recoil with full loaded 44 Mag is very comfortable. In fact I like it so much that I paid the extra expense to find one in .357 which I should receive in approx. 2 weeks (can't wait). To me the Redhawk is just really comfortable to shoot.
I have a Super Blackhawk that has the Dragoon style trigger guard. The recoil off this gun is a lot more punishing. I have to hold the grip different than the Redhawk and the Super Blackhawk is not near as comfortable to shoot. In fact I find myself really having to concentrate so I don't anticipate the recoil. It is an accurate gun but a punishing gun. I can not shoot full 44 magnum loads for long periods with the Blackhawk which I can do with my Redhawk, Both have the same length barrels also. I also prefer the Redhawk grip frame over the Blackhawks Plow handle grip.
Anyway some will argue about my experience and everyone will have different taste and likes, but this is my experience with both. I will tell you that I probably won't get rid of either but definitely the Redhawk stays.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I have a 4" Redhawk and a 3-3/4" Super Blackhawk.

The Redhawk is heavier.

I typically shoot both guns single action.

LOL, as already pointed out they recoil differently. I prefer the single action as it rolls back in the hand.

Corbi

contender

Ruger Guru
I think most of the things mentioned above are directly related to how a person shoots. Some folks have a better method of gripping with one or the other. A lot depends upon a proper gripping method. And with people having different hand sizes & shapes,,, fit & comfort is very important. Heck, you can take either type, change just the grip & change how well you shoot it.
Everybody has their preferences.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Contender, I agree totally. Each person is different and has their likes and dislikes. Hand size I feel maybe the biggest difference.

Thank you so much. There is a lot of good information here. I probably would not have thought about hand size making a difference, but I agree with you guys. Obviously women shooters would be more comfortable with a smaller grip.

And then factor in a Bisley grip frame or a Number 5 style frame and that gives even more choices. Thanks!

dakota1911

Buckeye
Don't have 41 mag. but in 357 land the feeling of the guns is quite different, but it is your hands and experience.

I have a Redhawk, and. SBH, both in .44 mag. They serve different purposes. The DA of the Redhawk makes it ideal as a defensive weapon against large critters. I have a peep sight on it for quick target acquisition. It can be shot SA also especially when working up loads, and checking accuracy. The SBH is a fun gun, and will probably use it for hunting eventually, as it is probably the more accurate of the two due to its sights. Loading and unloading is a chore ( for me). I only shoot it on days with no time limits.
gramps