CCW single six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Anyone ever carry a single six in 22 mag as a concealed carry piece?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22mag.htm

Silly idea? Was thinking a short barrel one might be Ok for when you don't want to pack "big iron."

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/8/the-22-magnum-for-self-defense/

What say ye?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Silly, no! A heck of a lot better than nothing when push comes to shove.
I did for a few years when I had few guns, a Super single six convertible with 4 5/8" barrel. My only other guns at the time were a 22 LR Colt and a Ruger 44 Mag with long barrel.

Never had to shoot it at any one, but I wasn't concerned about being under gunned. And it was easy to always have with me. I only had to point it once at a perp and he backed off immediately. He probably never even considered the size of the hole in the barrel. On many occasions that go unreported, showing that you're armed abruptly ends the affair. Would I rather have something that started with a 4 if confronted by a meth crazed attacker? Sure!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, .25 is anemic.

I had an acquaintance the used to have a drinking problem. One day, he was cleaning some little .25 auto pistol that he owned, I don't even remember the make. In his inebriated condition, he pulled the loaded magazine, turned the gun on himself to check the bore and somehow pulled the trigger. The chamber was loaded and he shot himself in the face! He said it felt like someone punched him in the face but he didn't even lose consciousness. His wife drove him to the hospital to get the bullet removed from where it had lodged in the back of his jaw. He's been sober for over 20 years now.

My son had his car broken into years ago. A tool box containing his little Jennings .25 auto was stolen. About two years later he was contacted by local police, the .25 auto had been recovered (it was registered to my son), and he was told he could come pick it up. When he met the ofc at the police station, he found out the thief was in the local hospital recovering from accidently shooting himself in the neck with that .25 auto! Turns out my son knew the perp from high school years earlier, who recovered fully....and then went to jail.

These two stories are true. Suffice to say you're absolutely right! Even a .22 LR would be more lethal.

eveled

Hawkeye
I knew 2 people (who didn't know each other) who bought early single sixes, they both owned no other hanguns. They bought the ss because they could plink w/ the LR cylinder then use the magnum cylinder as a side arm. I remember one of them telling me "the magnum hit as hard as a .38special, the same round the police use."

They had a lot of confidence in the little magnum round. Both considered the single six to be the only gun they would ever need. When I bought my .357 Blackhawk (first handgun) they thought I was nuts, what are you going to do w/ that cannon? My second handgun was a stainless single six. Those two guns complement each other nicely, from plinker to hot .357's with the same manual of arms.

How was the convertible ss marketed back in the 60's? These two gentlemen bought into it hook line and sinker for sure.

The single six in not going to be easy to conceal, but you will get more out the magnums from the longer barrel, than the snubnose .22magnums some are carrying these days.

seen a couple in the shop years ago, cut down Single Six , barrel shortened to the ejector housing hole, NO ejector or housing, no front sight, ala a true "Sheriffs"?? model.......the original "point and click"..... 8) :wink:

Mine was a stainless Vaquero 357 mag....... :roll:

and our friend, the late Bob C. carried a 5 1/2 inch Colt SAA........ :)