Security Six grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Silvertiger27

Bearcat
I recently bought a used Ruger Security Six with the grips that have the screw in the middle rather than the bottom. The grip style is the same as this one http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_security_six.jpg

I recently tried a speedloader and that thumb groove on the grips gets in the way, making it cumbersome to reload and will result in scratching the wood. I was planning on getting replacement grips anyway and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on a good grip that's for this middle screw model that also works with speedloaders. I looked at the Hogue, but it's apparently for the other model.

hittman

Staff member
This thread shows pictures of factory grips. The ones on your gun are not, I believe.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=221508

Put a Want To Buy ad in our Classifieds and you'll get what you need.

Welcome to the forum.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Silvertiger27 said:
I recently bought a used Ruger Security Six with the grips that have the screw in the middle rather than the bottom. The grip style is the same as this one

ruger_security_six.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on a good grip that's for this middle screw model that also works with speedloaders. I looked at the Hogue, but it's apparently for the other model.
AFAIK, no such thing as a "middle screw model". The screw doesn't thread into the pistol; it threads into the other grim. Any grips for a 151-and-up series pistol will work.

First and foremost: Welcome to the forum. If you have a question about a Ruger you can find answers here.

You can find OEM grips for the Six series guns on Gunbroker and eBay and you can do a "Want To Buy" ad here. You can also get the Ruger "Target" model grips (these are the bigger grips) at both places. Ruger at one time had some NOS (new old stock) target grips that they found in a warehouse and sold them on ShopRuger.com but I don't know if they have any left.

The Six series guns all had 2 piece grips and the screw in the middle is what held them together. Also, there is a grip locator pin that goes through the frame at the bottom rear, this holds them in place.

Some Hogue grips, to work correctly, have to have the grip locator pin removed and then the Hogue grip nut attaches to the frame at the bottom and the screw to hold the grips on goes there. That would be a grip screw at the bottom.

If you have big hands, the Ruger target grips might feel better. Those with smaller hands may prefer the OEM grips that are even with the frame contours.

If you want the larger grips, and can't find any anywhere, shoot me a PM and I may be able to help you out.

Oh, almost forgot, you can also get aftermarket Pachmayrs (rubber) in various places (and I have a bunch of these that I can sell cheap). Also, Numrich (http://www.gunpartscorp.com) has some aftermarket grips for the Six series (Sile and others IIRC).

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum.

CDNN (cdnnsports.com) has two versions of the Sile rubber grips, a Target Style and a Finger Groove Style. They may accommodate a speed loader, but the pics only show the right side of the grips so I can't say for certain. They sell for under $10. A little modification might help if the speedloader doesn't have enough clearance. Bianchi speed strips are another alternative.

Best Regards,
ADP3