"rim" on cylinder where round enters? final range update.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Got it back today. They changed the grips out and the cylinder. I had a note about a very small chip on the one grip but didn't expect a new set. was just mentioning so they understood I new what the gun had for flaws and wanted it back in as good of condition.

Looks great (other than being dirty from the test cartridges)

Now to put back the hunter grip frame and she'll be just like I like again. With the nice weather this week may even get to the range.

Some of you may know I had a GP100 sight fail too. They sent me a new pack of those as well.

Ruger is top shelf for sure!

roylt

Hunter
The new cylinder was scribed with the last 3 digits of the serial number too if anyone was wondering.

roylt

Hunter
Grip frame and hammer is all. 6 screws and a little fiddling will get it back to "custom". I enjoy tinkering anyway.

maxima2

Bearcat
roylt said:
Got it back today. They changed the grips out and the cylinder. I had a note about a very small chip on the one grip but didn't expect a new set. was just mentioning so they understood I new what the gun had for flaws and wanted it back in as good of condition.

Looks great (other than being dirty from the test cartridges)

Now to put back the hunter grip frame and she'll be just like I like again. With the nice weather this week may even get to the range.

Some of you may know I had a GP100 sight fail too. They sent me a new pack of those as well.

Ruger is top shelf for sure!

Sounds like Ruger took care of you. Thanks for the update.

roylt

Hunter
Shot it today and the first 6 I was half in the black at 25 yards. The next 12 were all black.

I do have one question though. How much space is there supposed to be between the barrel and the chamber?

Pic to follow.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
You want at least about .003" or it may tend to bind when the cylinder heats up or you get a bit of carbon fouling. Other than that, the tighter the better. I personally think a new gun shouldn't be more than .006 or .007...but I'm told that S&W now considers a BC gap up to .012 "in spec" on their new revolvers. I consider that crazy because my old Model 19 with thousands of rounds through it is at about .009 or .010 and side-spitting quite a bit of powder with full .357 commercial loads...enough so that at an indoor range the burning powder bounces off the lane dividers and hits the side of my face! (Needless to say, that gun doesn't get full-power commercial loads any more.)

However, I have seen tests that indicate that a widening BC doesn't cause as much velocity loss as some folks think...though I suspect that's more true with short barrels than long ones...haven't seen empirical data to back that assumption up.

John

roylt

Hunter
Put the original base pin back in and then went to a hunter hammer (had a bisley in before too) and then the hunter grip frame with grips.

roylt

Hunter
It just seemed big when looking with my eye but probably no more than .010

OldePhart

Blackhawk
roylt said:
How do you measure that?
Empty the gun :D
Cock the hammer, pull the trigger and hold it back
Pull cylinder rearward with fingers of second hand
With third hand :D insert feeler gauge between rear of barrel and front of cylinder

If you're getting acceptable accuracy and the side-flash is not objectionable I'd call it "okay"

roylt

Hunter
Why do you need to hold the trigger back? What does that do to the cylinder placement?

As for side flash, I only have one range as an option for shooting really and it is outside sooo. doesn't bother really.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I never did any of that. Just pull the cylinder back and stick a feeler gauge in the B/C gap. 4 to 6 thousands is optimum. :D

Latest posts