Bought a NIB LWSC last week-need info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mule Head

Bearcat
Bought a NIB (in a 99% black wreath box) LWSC (sn 2102xx) last week at an auction but the auction house lost the shipping sleeve that was part of the package. How much value did I lose?
The revolver came from the estate/collection of a former gun shop owner and had not seen the light of day since it was rec'd by his shop NIB.
Thanks in advance for the comments.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
WOW! Nice find. Since the box you have is worth $1,000, shipper would nearly be gilding the lily. Cardboard worth more than gun it came in. :shock: However I am sure somebody will come along and answer the question. Have you tried searching the auction house location? Trash? If it was advertised with shipper, they need to find it for you. Auction houses should be responsible.

Congratulation on a great find.

SATCOM

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Wow, that's too bad. If it was the original shipper I would value it at half the price of the black wreath box. The problem is getting the auction house to agree to a value. Chad doesn't list shipper prices in the RENE price guide so it is going to be difficult to prove a value. One of my Tri-Colors has a shipper and I would not sell it for $500.
They might have thought is was just another cardboard box and tossed it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Time to raise a little hell for a refund from their commission. They have not earned the full commission. And I would start at $500 at least, because they will probably try to negotiate down. Email Chad for an estimate on the shipper value and use him with the auction house as your "Expert" info source.

chet15

Hawkeye
I agree...$500 at least...but if it can be proven it was the original shipping sleeve marked LWSC on it.
That is sick!! There aren't many of those sleeves known, and of those that are, they usually aren't with NIB guns.
The outer brown cardboard is a lot rarer than the inner box, but the attractiveness of the inner box and just the fact that somebody is able to have an inner 2-piece box with their OM revolver is usually enough to satisfy a collector, and trumps the outer brown cardboard in price.
Chet15

Are you sure the auction house actually had the shipper to begin with? Was it advertised on the sale bill as including the shipper? Did they admit to losing the shipper?

Mule Head

Bearcat
They advertized with shipper, and it came with one, but for the wrong gun. It took a while but I located the buyer whose gun fit in MY shipper, and noted that his auction did not call for a shipper and he did not have one. So the mistake probably ws made by the original owner, and my shipper has been lost to the ages. Thanks for all of your comments..

That's too bad. I've noted similar hassles with auctions where the folks involved weren't as well-informed about guns as they might be, and you don't discover it until too late.

As mentioned above, I believe I'd try to get some "relief" on the price. Good luck.

:)

This is the Lightweight Single-Six with blued steel cylinder (LWSC).

The box is the silver Lightweight box, in particular the rare version with the black wreath instead of green.

Verrrry Rare . . . really!

Sorry I can't do a pic, but someone surely will.

:)