Hogue Presentation (NOT Pachmayer) fail

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
About a year ago I put a presentation grip on my 41 BH cause the stock one is a bit of a hand-ripper. It worked fine until recently when inexplicably the hammer would hang up if you tried to de-cock without firing. A normal trigger pull and the gun would fire normally--but in the event you wished to de-cock without firing the hammer would hang -up with resistance--a dangerous condition. While showing my gun to a local gunsmith he pulled the grip off and put it back on without doing anything else--and mysteriously the the hammer stopped hanging up. After a few shots the grip starting drifting into a weird position. I took it apart and while doing so a bent pin fell out--I eventually figured out that the pin--which holds Hogue's floating nut to the frame (and which you screw the grip to to hold in place) had detached from the clip frame and likely drifted up into the frame hammer area wedging itself and preventing normal operation. Lesson learned.

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
I'm confused. Pachmayr uses a screw that passes horizontally through the grip frame that squeezes the grip together. Hogue uses a screw that comes up from the bottom of the grip into a saddle that clips to the grip locator pins and pulls the grip up into the frame.

From your description I take it you have a Hogue. Or am I goofy?

twerpy.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
twerpymoon said:
I'm confused. Pachmayr uses a screw that passes horizontally through the grip frame that squeezes the grip together. Hogue uses a screw that comes up from the bottom of the grip into a saddle that clips to the grip locator pins and pulls the grip up into the frame.

From your description I take it you have a Hogue. Or am I goofy?

twerpy.
You are absolutely correct--I use both Hogue and Pachmayer grips and got the manufacturer mixed--though the model "presentation" is correct. My apologies for my "senior moment" and casting aspersion upon Pachmayer's fine products. Now I have to figure out how to correct the title of the thread.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I've had Hogue grips on my 41 for the past nearly 15 years, and haven't had a problem with them. I'll have to check mine and see if there is a potential problem in the making. Thanks for mentioning this. :)

Update: Checked mine. No problem, but here's a pic of it. I may be that the cutout channel in your grips that accommodate the pin, etc. were too deep, allowing the pin to slide out some which could cant the bracket. Don't know for sure, but it seems a likely explanation.

hoguegrip.jpg~original

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
The pin was bent in the middle--I'm guessing under repeated recoil the grip put enough downward/outward pressure on the spring steel frame to get the pin to dislodge--my pin has no means of holding it into the frame other than the slot in the grip.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
triggerpull said:
The pin was bent in the middle--I'm guessing under repeated recoil the grip put enough downward/outward pressure on the spring steel frame to get the pin to dislodge--my pin has no means of holding it into the frame other than the slot in the grip.

No bushing? The pin and bushing on mine is also a loose fit, held in place by the grip slots. You might be able to make a bushing to reinforce the pin if you want to use the Hogues again.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
triggerpull said:

No bushing? The pin and bushing on mine is also a loose fit, held in place by the grip slots. You might be able to make a bushing to reinforce the pin if you want to use the Hogues again.
I already put the stock grip back on and am going to put some kind of padding or maybe simply shoot with light fingerless gloves.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
triggerpull said:
GunnyGene said:
triggerpull said:

I already put the stock grip back on and am going to put some kind of padding or maybe simply shoot with light fingerless gloves.

Are you just punching paper? Don't know if you reload or not, but if not, you might like these SWC's from Georgia Arms. I bought some and they really are light recoil, and about 1/2 the price of regular power. http://georgia-arms.mybigcommerce.com/new-41-rem-mag-210gr-lead-semi-wadcutter/

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that gunny. I do reload--but my latest batch had some issues using 'lil gun powder--though the problem may be related to not using a more powerful magnum pistol primer. I do punch paper working up loads but generally develop game-taking ability loads. BTW--that is a great price for loaded ammunition; even for a reloader that's pretty darn attractive since the price is competitive even in terms of just buying brass--what kind of brass do they use?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
triggerpull said:
Thanks for that gunny. I do reload--but my latest batch had some issues using 'lil gun powder--though the problem may be related to not using a more powerful magnum pistol primer. I do punch paper working up loads but generally develop game-taking ability loads. BTW--that is a great price for loaded ammunition; even for a reloader that's pretty darn attractive since the price is competitive even in terms of just buying brass--what kind of brass do they use?

New Star Line brass. I don't reload, but I hear it's a favorite for reloaders. :)