Removing frame writing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Obviously you can't touch the serial #, but is there any issue with removing the writing on the left side of a Blackhawk frame, for instance the "Ruger Convertible" writing when doing a custom in a single caliber using a convertible as a base gun? Is there any requirement for any markings on the frame other than the serial?

Apparently not, as I see many customs with alterations....removing and changing the caliber designation, for instance.

OTOH, I wonder if it's OK to go a step further and remove the factory-marked serial number and relocate it out of sight, like under the grips. Done expertly, how old anyone but an expert know?

Mike, do not even think about removing or moving them to the grip frame, that is a "no-no" big time.............aside from the FACT, the grip frame or under the grips is "part of the gun, NOT the receiver...." parts can be moved ,changed and swapped around.............

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Dave Clements removed the caliber and Ruger's markings on my Blackhawk and replaced them with his own marking. What that entails, I don't know.

Bob Wright

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
The frame must state where it was made and the serial number. Caliber should be somewhere on the gun that is visible.

cadillo

Blackhawk
I have Harton custom that started life as an Old Model .357. He converted it to .44 Special, and somehow expertly changed that receiver scroll mark to read .44 Caliber. The man is an artist.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I believe you have to have a manufacture's FFL to even stamp a duplicate serial number on the receiver. That's done by some gunsmiths when they sporterize military surplus bolt actions so border patrol police can record the s/n without removing the scope.

Local laws come into play here also. Washington law makes it a felony to posses a firearm that has had its manufacturer's name or model name altered and writes that possession is prima fascia evidence that the possessor altered the markings. I don't recall whether there's an exception for alterations performed by people with a manufacturer's FFL.

bcgunworks said:
The frame must state where it was made and the serial number. Caliber should be somewhere on the gun that is visible.
The frames on all my Ruger revolvers state the model name on the left side IE "Single Six", "Bearcat", and the serial number on the right side. The manufacture location is on the barrel

Varminterror

Blackhawk
27 CFR 478.92(a)

This identifies where and what manufacturers and importers are required to imprint upon the weapon. Barrels are allowed for makers marks and origination, NOT for SN's.

I can't say that I wasn't given bad information, or that the laws have not changed, but I talked to the BATFE about 15yrs ago regarding this topic - older Marlin's had the SN's down the top tang, so I had to move them to the side of the receiver to install tang mounted peep sights. At that time, I only had an FFL, not manufacturers FFL, and the agent I spoke with approved that migration, sufficing that I kept documented record of the movement and that the SN remained unchanged.

It's correct that you're not able to move the SN on a Ruger SA, excluding the Bearcat, to the grip, as it's not part of the receiver. The SRH, GP100, and SP101 also cannot be so marked, because the "spur" or "tennon" of the grip is not conspicuous on these models. The Redhawk and the Bearcat are the only current production Ruger revolver models that can legally have the SN on the gripframe.

Many states, if not the fed, have laws against altering the makers marks, model numbers, or SN's for firearms (google search "altering firearm ID mark" CT, OH, KS, are the top 3 or 4 on the list).

A holder of a manufacturer's FFL can obliterate any marking on any firearm (Non-NFA), so long as they replace the markings with their own in kind - hence how guys like Al Harton, Bowen, etc can do it. Manufacturer's FFL isn't any more difficult to get, nor really substantially more expensive than that of a "gun seller" or "gunsmith" FFL. You'd actually be surprised how easy it is to get an NFA-makers license (albeit I have noticed a black helicopter circling my house ever since I submitted my application).