re 'blacking' aluminum frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ken s

Bearcat
For NO reason, I'm thinking about reblacking (anodizing) my single six frame. I fitted stag grips to it and want to
touch up the boo boos... any ideas? any stuff that I can touch up the small scratches?
Thanks Ken....from Cape Cod MA

ken s

Bearcat
thanks, never heard of it. I fit the gun with elk antler grips, and would like to strop the frame to the grips. of course, it means rounding and sanding the grip frame.
With steel, I've always just blued them. possibly a steel grip frame? I'll check Brownells alumahide as you said....Ken

pisgah

Buckeye
I would go with Cerakote. Tried Alumahide, and results on frames were not good in either appearance or durability, although it was okay on small parts.

ken s

Bearcat
I called a Cericote company in Fall River MA. nice people, but they said the color would not approach the
Ruger blue/black and advised me against it. honest too......Ken

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Look at my website. The black franken ruger has a blued cyl with black cerakote...pretty good match....most people cant tell the difference

Www.baysidecustomgunworks.com

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
Ken,
In my experience the Cerakote sometimes is a poor match not only in color, but also in texture. Just wondering if you have considered having it re-anodized. This requires stripping prior to new finish being applied, but it's no big deal and is done by the anodizing company, and is a minimal expense. Also, you can get about any color under the sun (should you wish)including "natural", black, gray, blue, red, green... name it! It's available. This also gives you an opportunity to clean up any "blems" after stripping, but before re-anodizing. I've done many motorcycle parts as well as gun parts with great results. Just a thought.
Justice B. Swift (AKA Just B.S.)

Chance

Buckeye
A few years ago at Shot Show I talked to every finsiher/refinsher I could find and was told repeatedly you cannot re-anodize a Ruger grip frame. Because of the alloy used normal anopdizing will destroy the part.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You might try some of the commercial aluminum black chemical if it's just small scratches. That stuff works nice on some alloys, not at all on others.

Again, if it's just small scratches, you could touch them up with some Testor Gloss Black model enamel.

If you want to paint the whole part on the cheap, I second the suggestion of high-temp engine paint. I used this on a shotgun barrel and it came out fabulous and shows no wear to this day.