Gloss non-fluted Stainless Super Blackhawks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
What years or models of 44mag Ruger SA's would have non-fluted, gloss polished, stainless steel cylinders?

chet15

Hawkeye
Here's what I have on them from the "Ruger Reference".

GKS458N, GKS45N, GKS47N and GKS411N. Known s/n range 86-57298 to 86-94863 (GKS458N); 86-58713 to 87-04780 (GKS45N); and 86-66700 to 86-98008 (GKS47N). The GKS411N is not known to have been made. Estimated quantities: GKS458N = 100; GKS45N = 550; GKS47N = 600. All are rare.

Chet15

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Thanks Chet, that's pretty interesting to find out, actually!

The reason that I asked: I purchased a non-fluted 44mag cylinder about 6mos ago, it's gloss polished, and the same 'temperature' of stainless color as the Vaqueros (Usually the SBH cylinders that came matte stainless are a different alloy so they're a little different color of 'silver'). It sure saved me a lot of polishing time, and I'm glad that it's the same exact alloy color as my Vaquero that I transplanted it into. If there are only that many of these that were produced, pretty slim odds that I'd come across one.

It doesn't appear that it was a Bisley that had the scrolling polished off. And it's not nickel plated, I didn't suspect that it was, but a buddy thought it might have been, so I did a little acid test on the chips after I throated it to confirm.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
bisleyfan41 said:
All Ruger stainless is the same ALLOY.
Finish differs, that's all.

I would have thought so as well, but I've had Ruger reps twice over the span of about 5yrs tell me otherwise.

roylt

Hunter
I wish I could find a non flute 357 cyl. That would be perfect for my project. Stainless of course.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
roylt said:
I wish I could find a non flute 357 cyl. That would be perfect for my project. Stainless of course.

Hamilton Bowen will make ya one....

For $585 + a minimum action job of $750, naturally...

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Varminterror said:
If there are only that many of these that were produced, pretty slim odds that I'd come across one.

More likely a standard non-fluted cyl that someone had polished to a gloss.

That's actually why I asked... Pretty slim chance that this was a one of 1000 or one of 500 made, so like you said, much more likely that somebody 'slicked it up' some time in the past.

Since I transplanted it into a gloss stainless Vaquero, I would have done the same thing had it been a 'normal' brushed/matte SBH cylinder, so this just saved me a little time and elbow grease.

roylt

Hunter
Varminterror said:
roylt said:

I think I will just stay with the fluted... I could get two more guns for that money. OR more used.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
roylt said:
Varminterror said:
roylt said:

I think I will just stay with the fluted... I could get two more guns for that money. OR more used.

Bowen sells piloted cylinder blanks for $295 to be reamed to your desire by someone else. Probably cheaper if you asked for it non-fluted.
http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=a57726f872bf8bda49c4c0648c2b3763

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Bowen sells piloted cylinder blanks for $295 to be reamed to your desire by someone else. Probably cheaper if you asked for it non-fluted.

You're sure think so, but that's not the response he sent me.

Varminterror said:
roylt said:

This was what he told me when I asked him about 6mos ago... Actually, as I'm writing this, I just re-read my email from him, it's $5 NINETY 5 plus tuning, not $585...

Not sure why a fluted version of the same thing would go for $295, but that was what he quoted when I asked for a non-fluted Ruger large frame cylinder....