New vs older sp101's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Had an sp101 years ago and regret getting rid of it so im looking at them lately.
I see a difference in new vs older hammers. Anyone have info on when the change was made? Anyone have pics comparing the hammers?

Do a search, put in the word hammer and the name Wayno in the Revolver section. It's about the 2nd one down. He has some good pictures that shows some differences. I'm having problems with my computer and it won't "copy".

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Bear Paw ,
I gave it a try and went through pages of search results and wasn't able to find anything...

drastic_quench

Bearcat
MIM hammers and triggers. It's an improvement. No more sharp edges.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=131343&view=next

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
drastic_quench said:
MIM hammers and triggers. It's an improvement. No more sharp edges.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=131343&view=next

Thanks for posting the link.

I'm still debating the differences I see in the hammers. I liked the older style and didn't consider it a "sharp" part. I thought it felt well and had a positive feel. The newer ones I've seen , only in pictures , seem too rounded and not much knurling on the hammers which makes me think slippery under the thumb. Reminds me of an old shotgun with worn out , smooth checkering vs a new one with sharp checkering. I'll have to get out and find a newer one to actually put my hands on it and see.

The MIM hammers and triggers are an improvement, no more sharp edges and they're smoother on the contact surfaces, so the action will be smoother. The thumb grip surface on the hammer is still good...I think it's all positive.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I bought my 1993 model like new (without the box) around 4 years ago. First thing I did was detail strip it and removed all the factory grease that had turned into reddish brown shellac, then dehorned the hammer and trigger with a fine file before re-assembly. I ain't trading for a new one :D

jd