LCR .38 spl or 9mm?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chopperdoc

Bearcat
I was just about to buy the Ruger LCR in .38 SPL when the 9mm LCR arrived on the scene. I hate to drag up the old 38 vs 9mm debate but given the same revolver what are your thoughts. And no I don't want the .357.

I reload for both calibers, so ammo cost is really not a factor.

Jim Puke

Hunter
LCR in 38...I don't care for moon clips. The 9mm revolvers have come and gone and I have never really been tempted to buy one due to that...and based on their poor sales records, apparently a lot of other folks feel the same.

With that said, get the one you want.

Terry T

Buckeye
Power wise it's just about a toss up - really down to "hits are better than misses".

I like the full moon clips for faster reloading. I can carry moon clips two deep in a normal speed loader pouch so can carry 25 rds between a loaded gun and 4 in a double speed loader pouch.

For my .38 spl, I use the Tuff products quick (speed) strips and their pouches. Each pouch carries two strips so two pouches to match the speed loader pouch and moon clips.

http://www.tuffproducts.com/category_s/1825.htm

I think the Tuff strip pouches lay flatter on a belt but feel I can load quicker with the moon clips.

The 9mm can be used without the clips but the ejector will not work - keep a pen or pencil handy.
Terry T

contender

Ruger Guru
There have always been people wanting a 9mm revolver since the mainstream shift to semi-auto 9mm's. They consider it a spare, or a back-up to their main gun, by it using the same ammo. As such, they have enjoyed a bit of good sales, then wane off & then once production is halted,, the demand goes back up.
I own guns with moon clips & guns without.
I find I enjoy both for varying purposes. You'll have to pick your own favorite.

jjc333

Bearcat
The 9 wins. The 9 is a faster round than even the +P. It doesn't shed velocity as much as the .38 out of a 2 inch barrel and due to the short case there are no issues with a short stroke on the ejector rod. I think I'm going to have to buy one.