end shake bearing??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i had a friend put a coating on my ruger service six cylinder, when he returned it he said he noticed the inside of the cylinder where the two crane bearings fit was very shiny. i got to looking and he is right, it's a tiny narrow ring around the inside where the two crane bearings ride. i took a needle and a tooth pick but couldn't feel a groove where the end shake bearing would have had. i figured if it was a bearing i could feel the needle catch the outside of the end shake bearing. my question is do you think this is an end shake bearing that has sealed itself inside my cylinder or just shiny wear from the crane bearings? i can't seem to move it and was wondering when ya'll took yours apart did you notice if your cylinder were shiny there too. the cylinder locks up great with near zero shake, but i just wondered about this since my friend brought it up. thanks

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have checked real good this morning and it's got to be just part of the cylinder, no bearings in this one. there is no groove there that would be there if it was a bearing inside. thanks

when they fit the gun ,when new, they may have to polish or cut ( file) the gas seal stub on the front of the cylinder, MOST of the time, and then,, with wear, as the cylinder turns it will rub on the rear inside of the frame,and make this area shiny also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just keep these 'bare' areas lightly oiled and you'll be , do just fine...............
Now that being said, ,MAYBE, if the cylinder was a BAD fit or replaced with another later on, MAYBE 'end shake' bearings/bearings, could have been "added" and when one removes the cylinder for cleaning, they can and will fall out....if there is a LOT of movement, front to back, or you get misfires, OR the cylinder rubs UP against the rear of the barrel, then you should check things out further..... :wink:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
when they fit the gun ,when new, they may have to polish or cut ( file) the gas seal stub on the front of the cylinder, MOST of the time, and then,, with wear, as the cylinder turns it will rub on the rear inside of the frame,and make this area shiny also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just keep these 'bare' areas lightly oiled and you'll be , do just fine...............
Now that being said, ,MAYBE, if the cylinder was a BAD fit or replaced with another later on, MAYBE 'end shake' bearings/bearings, could have been "added" and when one removes the cylinder for cleaning, they can and will fall out....if there is a LOT of movement, front to back, or you get misfires, OR the cylinder rubs UP against the rear of the barrel, then you should check things out further..... :wink:

nothing fell out, and the cylinder is tight with very little movement on lock up or even at rest. the cylinder is completely apart as i didn't have the crane coated. just saw it shiny in there and wondered. thanks for your help