LCR 357 Shooting Low?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

socrates007

Bearcat
Today I finally had a chance to shoot my new LCR in 357 magnum. I did not have much ammo to test it with, but wanted to at least shoot it finally as I had it for a couple of weeks.

I only had fifty rounds 130 grain 38 special (FMJ), and also five rounds of 110 grain 38 special (JHP). I wish I would have had more ammunition and time to spend at the range today. Anyhow, what I noticed is that my LCR shot much lower than I expected - definitely lower than POA.

I am just wondering if any other LCR owners have had similar findings with their LCRs shooting low - at least with 130 grain and 110 grain ammo. Has anybody shot 158 grain bullets with their LCR? If so, did it shoot much higher (or at least was POA equal to POI)?

Thank you very much for any information anybody can provide.

socrates007

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
Your problem could be the light bullets...mine shoots fine with the 158gr.

Jim Luke,

That is what I was thinking. Do you know if the LCRs are sighted in from the factory using 158 grain bullets? Thanks for mentioning that yours shoots fine with the 158 grain ammo. Have you tried using lighter bullets like 130 or 110 grain - if so, how did it shoot?

Thanks for your info :D

socrates007

Bearcat
I should have added that my POI was about 10 inches lower than my POA. That just kind of shocked me a bit because I am not new to revolvers. For the last 15 years or so, I have been shooting 4" barrel and 2" barrel (j-frame) revolvers. They are the all-steel kind and are heavier than my LCR. So I know the lightweight LCR with the long DAO trigger is new to me.

I actually like the trigger on my LCR. It may be long, but it is very smooth. Now over the last 15 years, I have never shot 10 inches low out of any of my 4" or 2" barrel revolvers (all-steel) and no matter if the ammo was .38 special, .38 special+P, or .357 magnums. So I am hoping that heavier bullets will perform much better. I wouldn't mind if I was 4 or 5 inches low on my POI, but 10 inches was just a bit shocking to me.

I know that I need to shoot my LCR a lot more to learn the DAO long trigger. Also, to get used to a lighter weight snubbie versus my all-steel j-frames. So I will practice much more as I really want to be more confident and accurate with my LCR. I like the gun and it feels great in my hands. The trigger is great, but I hope to be better next time out as this was my first time shooting it and I had limited ammo to test it with.

Can anybody recommend any ammo for me to buy that you have shot very accurately with your LCR? Maybe 158 grain or any ammo for that matter that seems to be quite accurate out of your LCR? I appreciate any input from other LCR owners (especially 357 magnum LCR owners) regarding what ammo your LCR seems to shoot well.

Thanks again for any ammo recommendations.

By the way: I am guessing that the distance I had my target at today was around 35 feet. I am not positive, but will ask the range master next time I go to that range.

Jim Puke

Hunter
That is very low POI...

Are you accustomed to double action shooting?

Sounds to me, like it may be a combination of light bullets and trigger control...but that may be off base.JDK

socrates007

Bearcat
Rumrunner said:
I shoot 110, 125, and 158 grain bullets in my LCR38, and all shoot close to poa

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if it's the .357 magnum LCR that seems to shoot lower with light bullets. I hope some owners of the LCR in .357 magnum can comment on how their gun shoots with both lighter bullets (110 and 130 grain) versus say 158 grain bullets.

socrates007

Bearcat
s4s4u said:
Does it shoot to the same point when someone else pulls the trigger?

I didn't have anybody else shoot it. Next time at the range I will try the 158 grain ammo. And I will also try to have someone else shoot it if possible. Thanks for the suggestion and it is good advice.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It's probably not just a light bullet thing. Try some 357 magnum ammo. Most Ruger guns are sighted -in with standard for caliber bullets and factory loads. I know they used to fire Federal 357 magnum 158gr 'classic' for test rounds.

You will find the same problem when shooting 38 specials in an SP-101. :D

socrates007

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
It's probably not just a light bullet thing. Try some 357 magnum ammo. Most Ruger guns are sighted -in with standard for caliber bullets and factory loads. I know they used to fire Federal 357 magnum 158gr 'classic' for test rounds.

You will find the same problem when shooting 38 specials in an SP-101. :D

Hi Jimbo357mag,

Would someone have the same problem if they shot .38 special ammo out of a LCR in .38 special? Would that really make the POI go up at least 10 inches higher versus shooting .38 special rounds out of a LCR .357 like I did in mine?

s4s4u

Hunter
Would someone have the same problem if they shot .38 special ammo out of a LCR in .38 special? Would that really make the POI go up at least 10 inches higher versus shooting .38 special rounds out of a LCR .357 like I did in mine?

With handguns, recoil has a lot to do with POI. As soon as you press the trigger recoil begins and the more it kicks the higher the muzzle will rise at the time the bullet exits the barrel. Sight height must take this into consideration and sights are calibrated relative to the expected recoil of the cartridge in use. If you shoot a lighter kicker with a lighter bullet it will hit lower than if you shoot that which the gun was designed for. So, 38 Special guns are dialed in for 38 special recoil, and so on.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I have found that my 38 also shoots low. So far, I have attributed this to the looong trigger pull. I still need more practice than my current budget and schedule have allowed.

socrates007

Bearcat
Tinman931 said:
I have found that my 38 also shoots low. So far, I have attributed this to the looong trigger pull. I still need more practice than my current budget and schedule have allowed.

Tinman931,

Thanks for your feedback on how your LCR shoots. May I ask how low does it shoot for you? Like how many inches lower than your point of aim?

I think you need to shoot it more and see if your results improve...and try 357 ammo too, my guess is that as you shoot it more, POA and POI will come together....that was my experience...also, the fixed rear sight is what it is so you may want to adjust your sight picture a bit and see if that helps..

Good luck!

socrates007

Bearcat
Nh Rugerman said:
I think you need to shoot it more and see if your results improve...and try 357 ammo too, my guess is that as you shoot it more, POA and POI will come together....that was my experience...also, the fixed rear sight is what it is so you may want to adjust your sight picture a bit and see if that helps..

Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions Nh Rugerman. I will definitely try shooting it some more, and also adjust my sight picture.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I notice the front sights are the same part (#LCR03600) on the 357mag and the 38+P LCR but different on the 22/22mag LCR. With a fixed sight gun shooting low with the desired load is the next best thing to having it dead on. You can always raise the muzzle a little or file down the front sight. I have to do this with my SP-101 when shooting 38+p 130gr bullets.

Do try lots of different ammo especially the 158gr bullets as this might bring the POI up for you. :D

socrates007

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
I notice the front sights are the same part (#LCR03600) on the 357mag and the 38+P LCR but different on the 22/22mag LCR. With a fixed sight gun shooting low with the desired load is the next best thing to having it dead on. You can always raise the muzzle a little or file down the front sight. I have to do this with my SP-101 when shooting 38+p 130gr bullets.

Do try lots of different ammo especially the 158gr bullets as this might bring the POI up for you. :D

Yeah, I can't wait to shoot my LCR again and definitely will try the heavier 158 grain ammo this time :D

socrates007

Bearcat
UPDATE:

I managed to get to the range today and shot my LCR 357 with 158 grain ammo. The range only had 38 specials in 158 grain, so I purchased a box. Well, they helped slightly with raising the POI but my LCR still shot low. I would say it was around 6 to 8 inches lower than POA.

When I was looking at my LCR, it appeared to my eyes that the front sight is taller than the rear sights. The gun range had their local gunsmith in today so I went to show him. He completely concured when he handled my LCR. He held it and aimed it in his hands - then he told me that the barrel is pointing downward when the front sight's height is aligned with the rear sight's height (the normal 6 o'clock sight picture). Then he made the front sight aim higher than the rear sights - when he did that the barrel was then pointing parallel to the ground or straight (not downwards).

I could really see it when he was holding my LCR and aiming the sights for the correct sight picture, and then aiming the front sight higher than the rear sights. I saw how the barrel pointed downwards and then pointed correctly. The gunsmith told me he will need to cut down or file down that front sight in order for my LCR to shoot to POA. He wanted to do it today, but I told him no because I did not have my personal defense ammo for the LCR with me today.

So hopefully maybe by the end of next week or so, I can get some good HP ammo in 158 grain bullet weight. Then I will head back to the range and the gunsmith said that he and I will shoot the LCR and cut down the front sight accordingly (that is in accord with my choice of self-defense ammo). I am looking forward to having my LCR finally shoot to POA (or at least much closer than it shoots now).

I am submitting this information in case any other LCR owners (especially LCRs in 357 magnum) are having an issue with their gun shooting very low (around 10 to 12 inches). It could be that your front sight is taller, and therefore not parallel, than the height of your rear sights. This could be a defect on Ruger's part because the gunsmith said that the front sight should never be that much higher than the rear sights. He found it right away when handling my LCR.

I will keep everybody updated of the outcome when I shoot my LCR after having the front sight trimmed/filed down. Hopefully in the next week or so I can post the results.

s4s4u

Hunter
Have you fired any full house 357 Magnum 158 grain loads from this gun on target as yet?