Redhawk!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Blessed to have another item checked off my bucket list.

1999 model SS 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt. Wow, what a nice pistol! Looks brand new. Nice balance. According to the previous owner, less than two boxes fired through it. Plan to shoot it tomorrow morning. Have a box of cowboy loads and a box of 250 Keiths that run just under 1K fps (my Blackhawk's favorite). Had a SRH in 454 Casull and ended up shooting 45 Colt most of the time but I coud never warm up to the style of the SRH. The RH style is so much more classic, even though I'm primarily a SA guy.

Cylinders mic .4515 so I'm thinking 'Cylindersmith'. I shoot mostly cast but I do usually keep some 250 and 300 XTPs loaded up.

One thing that I noticed that I've never seen on any of my other dozen or so Rugers and that's a rattling front sight insert. Anybody heard of that before? What's the fix?

Also, how much trouble is it to remove the cylinder on a RH?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a Redhawk in 44 mag,,, a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger,, several 45 Colt Blackhawks & Vaquero's, and even a 454 Casull Freedom arms,,, but no 45 Colt Redhawk. So,, you need to remedy the gap in my collection by sending it to me.
:D :D
Congrats on finally getting one!

black029

Single-Sixer
I'm sure there is a YouTube video on taking down a Redhawk until the cylinder is free. It's not difficult, but also so much easier to just tell you to watch a video :)
What exactly do you mean by "front sight insert"?

kelbro

Single-Sixer
black029 said:
I'm sure there is a YouTube video on taking down a Redhawk until the cylinder is free. It's not difficult, but also so much easier to just tell you to watch a video :)
What exactly do you mean by "front sight insert"?

Thanks. Yes, found the Youtubes. What did we do before Youtube?

I'm talking about the blade in the front sight. Didn't really worry about it as it's not 'falling out loose' but it looks like it might be dovetailed.

Shot it today. 250gr Keiths over 13gr of HS-6 shot very well. I may hold off on reaming the cylinders :) Shooting some 250gr XTPs over 2400 tomorrow.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
kelbro said:
I'm talking about the blade in the front sight. Didn't really worry about it as it's not 'falling out loose' but it looks like it might be dovetailed.
The one-piece site on a Redhawk (5.5") is held in place by a push-button lock on the front of the barrel. If the sight is loose you might want to remove it by pushing in the button and lifting the rear of the sight up. I would try a piece of tape under the sight to tighten it up. :D

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Thanks Jimbo. I was able to remove the sight and that does appear to be where the slop is coming from. The spring loaded pin/retainer doesn't move very far. Seems like not enough to hold it tight. Should the edge of that pin settle flush with the end of the rib or is it supposed to be recessed? Seems like it only travels 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
I've replaced the spring with a slightly longer one to cure that problem. Edge of the pin should be flush.............Dick

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. A little masking tape tightened it up. No more rattle.