what to do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i found another ruger service six, not as good of a deal as the one a found recently but close. the problem is the firing pin and or spring is broke. i contacted ruger as i can't find one online as i've tried looking as an extra part for mine. ruger told me to send it in, but i'm not sure i should based on what i was told. the guy i spoke with said that if it can't be repaired they will offer a sp101 at a discount, he said the sp101 is offered for the service six and gp100 for the security six. he said if the gun was found to be unsafe they would keep it and couldn't return it, i would have to trade it in. if it was ok then they would return it if i didn't trade. i don't know which way to go here, what would ya'll do? right now i can't aford to pay for another gun if i buy this one, if they find it unsafe i may lose it all. thanks

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Lots of options...

Lots of thoughts...

1) If you want a shooter, then why not be OK with getting an SP-101 out of the deal?

2) If you want a Service Six, you could take it to a revolversmith to have it properly checked out before sending it to Ruger. The stipulations for "safe" revolvers are pretty cut and dried. If it doesn't check out, then don't send it in. If it's 100% pure-D clean, send it in.

3) If you want a Service Six, you can sit on it and ask around on armslist, Numerich, both RugerForums, etc etc. hoping that you find a take-off part.

My move would be to have it checked out by a smith, sacrifice the $100 to have the comfort that it will come back from Ruger.

If you're so interested, I saw a Service Six at a shop last week locally, in good shape at a decent price for one, had original grips as well as oversized grips. Betting it wouldn't sit there too long, but it's a tiny town and small shop so maybe it'll last a little while. I could hook you up with them if you're so inclined.

hittman

Staff member
I'd buy it (if the price is right) and gamble that myself or a local gunsmith can make her work.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
if i get it, i will have to hope that ruger fixes it, i can't afford any more money out of pocket. i would love an sp 101 at around $300 which is the price the guy said would cost at discount but at $300 and what i'm paying for the six i could just buy a new one. but i don't have an extra $300, i'm afraid they'll call it unsafe and then i'm at a loss of my money and gun. i could hope to find parts in the future, i'm kinda stuck right now.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
As much as I like the Security/Service/Speed Sixes I have moved on to the GP100. Parts are too scarce for the Sixes and they will only get scarcer. The Sixes are durable but parts do break. The firing pin broke in my "Liberty" Security Six too, but that was 30 years ago when parts were not a problem. A good pistolsmith might be able to make a Blackhawk, GP, or Redhawk firing pin work in your Security Six or make one from scratch. Contacting Clements, Bowen or Stroh will probably get you an answer, but by the time you figure shipping and replacement your costs are going to rise. The same thing is happening with S&W. They no longer have firing pins for many of the pre-1980's revolvers. Good luck.

Best Regards,
ADP3

eveled

Hawkeye
boomer92266 said:
if i get it, i will have to hope that ruger fixes it, i can't afford any more money out of pocket.

If $300 is all you have right now, spend your money on ammo and enjoy the one you already have.

Hanging out here makes you want to be a collector, but it is not for everybody. One nice .357 revolver is enough.

I also agree with ADP3, start saving for a GP100.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
This is actually a gunsmithing topic. Can it be fixed? Absolutely. I just fixed the same problem on a S6 a few weeks ago. Jack First had the bushing, spring and firing pin. Have you actually confirmed that the f.p. is broken? The bushing may just be full of hardened oil or grease.

If you buy the S6, you drive out the partially hidden pin which is contoured into the frame, marking one end of it for future reassembly. Carefully drive the f.p. forward with a cup tipped punch. That will free the f.p. bushing, spring and f.p.....Actually, I would do all that before you order replacement parts. They may not be broken. Use the old bushing unless it is trashed. It has to be notched for the crosspin, which can be time consuming.

S6's suffer from insufficient f.p. protrusion. They are around .050". Also, the hammer and strut geometry is not ideal. Consequently a strong mainspring is required for reliable ignition. The S&W front lock is not as solid as the later GP100 lock, usually making the cylinder a little wobbly...no fix for that. Otherwise the S6 is a pretty good model if the price is realistic.

-cu

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I was told Ruger won't keep any customers gun without permission. I'm sure they would like to "upgrade" you to newer model but they won't keep your gun unless you want them to.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i thought i would update, i didn't get the gun. i couldn't get the guy down from $300 and i thought that was a little high considering its shape as it had been fired and used alot. i know getting my first service six a few weeks ago at $150 was luck and kinda spoiled me on prices. but other than a little frecks of rust mine is in great shape, so glad the guy needed turkey supplies. thanks

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Yeah, this whole 'keep your gun' thing really makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean, it's YOUR PROPERTY, and for them to keep it...wouldn't that constitute THEFT? Theft of a firearm, in many states, is a FELONY no matter what it's value is. I would think this is a sticky wicket that no OEM would want to mess around with.