41 Mag 3 screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nrobe50

Buckeye
does anyone know what the real story is for this revolver?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400258693

gunman42782

Hunter
How could it be stamped New Model Blackhawk BEFORE there was a New Model Blackhawk. Sounds like BS to me.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Wow!

1. Legit brass framed old model .41s totaled 227 with 67 being short barreled and all had a prefix.

2. Super hammer that is a reblue?

3. New Model stampings, are they exactly like Ruger stamps New Models?

4. Gun reblued?

5. Could a gunsmith remove frame markings and restamp? Absolutely, but what would be the ethics?

6. Unless a letter signed by Bill Ruger (Sr. or Jr.) accompanied the gun I see no reason for the $3K price.

SATCOM

Me Thinks the boys at the factory said letts see if they catch this one :lol: :lol: I don't own a NM 41 so I cant compare the stampings looks reblued (washed screw holes faded serial #s ) wrong # range for NM or a brassie I wonder if its converted TRASH OR TREASURE ? you make the call :lol: :lol:

GRAMPS

With that serial number it could be a 1968 OM .41 gun. I do find the serial number kinda neat . . . and very likely intentional. "Wow, a reversed two-digit gun! VERRRRRRY RARE!!" :twisted:

If the price's decimal point were moved one place to the left it might -- MIGHT -- be an interesting conversation-starter.

JMHO
;)

chet15

Hawkeye
But what if it is legit?
Yes, there was a thread on this one a few months back.
And I wrote a paragraph about it in the November 2013 Red Eagle News Exchange.
Chet15

Chance

Buckeye
The way the screw countersinks are dished it looks like someone went at the frame hard on the left side. Dishing but not so much on the right side of the frame BUT the "serial #" shows now signs of dishing at all.

Would be very interesting to see what the hammer face looks.

tool room gun, left over parts?? who does KNOW ?? the gun serial is 1967, the brass frame set up is 1971-72 and the "New Model" roll marks are 1973, and WHY ???? because its NOT ???duh, even the factory cannot be that "stupid" ??? gold inlays , I doubt it, that is the gold /silver paste that Brownells used to sell, will clean out with a bit of acetone.......custom?? how, again "why" roll mark NEW model on an 'old model' I still say pieces , parts left over in the tool room ( their answer to a custom shop) BORED workers, screwing with collectors and historians.....................$3,000 ??? :roll: :?

( Knowing stories of the "old man" he may have even put them up to it.............) 8)

5of7

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
With that serial number it could be a 1968 OM .41 gun. I do find the serial number kinda neat . . . and very likely intentional. "Wow, a reversed two-digit gun! VERRRRRRY RARE!!" :twisted:

If the price's decimal point were moved one place to the left it might -- MIGHT -- be an interesting conversation-starter.

JMHO
;)

How about 2 places to the left.... :roll:

5of7 said:
Ale-8(1) said:

JMHO
;)

How about 2 places to the left.... :roll:

How about "free" . . . :roll:

DGW1949

Hunter
I could be wrong but.....I don't think that there were any silver-eagle grips back in '67, and I don't remember Ruger ever offering SBH fire-control parts as an option on a BH. Besides that, I'm perty-sure that the seller is wrong about it having 6" barrel.

All in all, I'm reminded of a time honored saying; .....Buy the gun, not the story.

DGW

chet15

Hawkeye
The gun is what it is, until somebody can prove it one way or the other.
I do know a NM rollmark won't show up on an Old Model shipped in 1968 unless something extraordinary happened at the factory with this one.

But then, I can't really explain the dual rollmarked #1 and M77 rifles I know of either with both the Liberty and Warning rollmark on the barrel (mentioned in the February RENE).
Chet15

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
I did purchase this gun and Chance did the transfer. We looked it over pretty good it has been reblued, MR-3DB grip frame and I have compared it to new model rollmarked blackhawks and I can't tell the difference. When calling Ruger they said it was done after it left the factory, but why would somebody do it to just one gun? First call to them they wanted to know the auction site and item number. Why? My guess to purchase it! Returned a call to me minutes later after the buy now button had been pushed by me with no answers accept I'm sorry I can't help you at this time. Second call to them they had to get back to me probably after talking to the lawyers. I would love it if this was the real deal. Thanks for the possible responses after my previous post and a good conversation piece is a under statement! I have never had a firearms company him and ha more on a item that much. Thanks

chet15

Hawkeye
VernTMG:
That was serial number 14000 wasn't it?
Post another picture of that on here if you would, along with a nice closeup of the New Model Rollmark on the left side of the cylinder frame.
Remembering back, the New Model rollmark looked like the real deal to me but perhaps a comparison can be done with somebody else's NM .41, just remembering though that there have probably been different NM rollmarks through the years. Thinking back, the very end of that rollmark (the right side) looked like it was lightly impressed, which to me said it was put on by a rollmarking machine and not engraved.
Explanations?
One might be that it was an employee gun...one that somehow missed the frame rollmark (which happens more often than one would think), but was later rollmarked with a NM designation...maybe the reason it was reblued?
The fact that it has a brass frame on it is neither here or there...without a factory letter saying it was shipped with one, its just a gun that had it added sometime after it left the factory.
But to me, the gun (sans frame?) is factory as is the rollmark.
Also, I can see an OM being at the factory in uncompleted condition (especially with that 14000 serial number, a milestone type number) and not being completed until a later date (i.e. the NM frame rollmark). But I still think an employee goofed and somehow missed that frame rollmark the first time around.
Chet15