41 Mag 3 screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
I could be wrong but.....I don't think that there were any silver-eagle grips back in '67, and I don't remember Ruger ever offering SBH fire-control parts as an option on a BH. Besides that, I'm perty-sure that the seller is wrong about it having 6" barrel.

All in all, I'm reminded of a time honored saying; .....Buy the gun, not the story.

DGW

Very wise words indeed! Especially when you consider that clicking on the link now shows "Sorry item cannot be found." Which suggests it was pulled due to being egregiously inaccurate.

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
BPGuy said:
DGW1949 said:
I could be wrong but.....I don't think that there were any silver-eagle grips back in '67, and I don't remember Ruger ever offering SBH fire-control parts as an option on a BH. Besides that, I'm perty-sure that the seller is wrong about it having 6" barrel.

All in all, I'm reminded of a time honored saying; .....Buy the gun, not the story.

DGW

Very wise words indeed! Especially when you consider that clicking on the link now shows "Sorry item cannot be found." Which suggests it was pulled due to being egregiously inaccurate.

The original post date was March 11, 2014.....so the item is not there any longer... :)

chet15

Hawkeye
BPGuy said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Actually, there are a couple things about the gun in question that really has me scratching my head, but I don't doubt that something like that could have come out of the factory.
First of all, the gun is an Old Model .41 Blackhawk. So how did it get a New Model rollmark on the left side of the frame?
Those looking at the pics in this thread for the first time said its been done "after factory", or "somebody engraved the marking on the left side". The problem is the marking is a definite rollmark, and the current owner above saying he's not seeing any difference in that rollmark and what is on the side of a NM .41 Blackhawk. So if the rollmark is the same, somebody at least had access to a factory rollmark.
It is not unheard of for a gun to miss a rollmark as it goes through the Mfg. process, so perhaps somebody sent the gun back to have a rollmark put on it? Don't know.
But I do know somebody outside the factory would sure go to a lot of trouble coming up with a factory rollmark and then rollmarking it themselves.
Here's the next thing...this gun had been made roughly 50 years ago, and it only shows up recently? One would think that such a rare unusual factory Ruger would have shown up a long time ago in the collector circle if anybody really thought that highly of it back then.
This all leads me to believe the rollmark is correct, and was put on by the factory, but when would be the next question.
As far as the brass grip frame...don't care much about that...anybody could have put that on at any time, which also explains the silver eagle medallions.
I can send those pictures to somebody if they would like to post them.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
We know some guns sit in their inventory or warehouse or parts bins for years before they are completed and/or shipped. One such animal is a D serial numbered GP100 I own that left the factory something like 5 or 7 years after the serial number was roll marked on it.

Guess I'm saying that this gun could have layed around the Ruger plant until the new models were being made and got it's roll mark affixed at that time.

About why the gun didn't catch anybodys eye until recently? That'll always be a great unknown but I can tell you this; and "S" serial numbered low back Security Six recently lettered with Ruger and I'm not sure they knew (or had formal records) of it floating around.

chet15

Hawkeye
Would need to go back in the RENE issue we reported this with, its in a past ROCS issue also, but I believe serial number 14000 has a ship date of the normal time period for that serial number in the .41 Blackhawk...1967 or 1968.
I also thought that maybe the 40- wasn't rolled around on the serial number head when they stamped the number and it just came out as 14000 when it should have been 40-14000. I know of a Single-Six like that which missed the 20-.
But that still doesn't explain the NM rollmark. That's the mystery I don't think we'll ever be able to figure out.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
nmfE5kS.png

Cl16OIt.png

vwofmSE.png

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
Thank you chet15 for the info and thank you hittman for posting the pics. I was told by the seller that it belonged to a judge in Chicago or some place else I can't remember exactly the city but to his knowledge he was the original owner and the seller got it at the estate sale. I will have to send in the $10 for a letter and see what happens. As I've already said Ruger didn't want to discuss it.

chet15

Hawkeye
VernTMG said:
Thank you chet15 for the info and thank you hittman for posting the pics. I was told by the seller that it belonged to a judge in Chicago or some place else I can't remember exactly the city but to his knowledge he was the original owner and the seller got it at the estate sale. I will have to send in the $10 for a letter and see what happens. As I've already said Ruger didn't want to discuss it.

You might try 40-14000 also and see what happens with that as well.
Chet15

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
I'm not ever sending it back unless Ruger wants to buy it. Chet are you saying to try for a letter with 40- or just 14000 or both at alternate times? Thanks again

chet15

Hawkeye
It would be an extra $10, but it would be interesting to see how they letter serial number 14000 as well as 40-14000.
It still wouldn't prove how/when your gun left the factory though.
I have a picture here of serial number 09539 Single-Six that has large size serial numbers but never got the 20- prefix. I was able to determine it should have left as 21-09539 because the rollmark on the left side of the cylinder frame has the circle R trademark insignia, something that wasn't added to the Single-Six until they changed their rollmark to include that at around 20-53xxx or so.
By getting letters on 14000 or 40-14000, you might find that either was shipped as model BKH42, which would discount your gun.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
VernTMG said:
I'm not ever sending it back unless Ruger wants to buy it. Chet are you saying to try for a letter with 40- or just 14000 or both at alternate times? Thanks again

I would consider enclosing with the request form and $10 check a nice cover letter asking them if it is possible the 40- was simply missed. I sent a cover letter with a recent request and got back (for my $10) TWO letters, signed by two different people, one on white paper and the other on beige paper. The letter on white stationary was the standard reply covering date of manufacture and configuration while the beige letter was clearly a personally typed or dictated reply answering my questions. At least in my case they went way above and beyond to make things clear.

chet15

Hawkeye
hittman said:
VernTMG said:

I would consider enclosing with the request form and $10 check a nice cover letter asking them if it is possible the 40- was simply missed. I sent a cover letter with a recent request and got back (for my $10) TWO letters, signed by two different people, one on white paper and the other on beige paper. The letter on white stationary was the standard reply covering date of manufacture and configuration while the beige letter was clearly a personally typed or dictated reply answering my questions. At least in my case they went way above and beyond to make things clear.

They won't be able to tell you whether the 40- was missed...and in fact, they will probably tell you that can't happen. Obviously however, with the Single-Six mentioned above...it has happened.
In the end it is still just hypothetical.
(If somebody wants to post a pic of the 09xxx Single-Six, I can send that to them)
If somebody wanted to study O.M. .41 barrel rollmarks, maybe there was a change that could tell for sure when it was made. But then again, maybe the identical "INC." was used from 1968 to the end of OM production.
Chet15