Old School Double-Action Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

justbill2013

Bearcat
I was going through my TinyPic account and came across this oldie but goody, my old plum Service-Six .357. At some point it was involved with the area legal authorities, because they'd added a tiny inventory stamp on the crane. Otherwise the gun was in near new condition when I sold it.

5khdo3.jpg

justbill2013

Bearcat
It did creep me out wondering if it had been used in a crime. A LGS owner I trust told me the county usually won't sell an actual crime gun in case it's needed as evidence for an appeal. Emphasis on usually. More than likely it was stolen, subsequently recovered during the course of an investigation and then never claimed by the lawful owner. After a certain period of time, the county can sell or destroy unclaimed guns. I've come across another gun with identical stamping since buying this Ruger. So they are out there. I informed the guy who bought this gun of its questionable history and he had no problem with it. I even made money on the deal.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought a S&W M27 back in 1976 to use in a .44 Special conversion. I found out it was a suicide gun. It turned out to be a fine .44. The past history doesn't bother me a bit.

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I have a Single-Six that I sold back in the early 1980's
That purchaser fired once in 1986 to commit suicide, there
is a small mark on the 22mag cylinder where it landed on the sidewalk. I keep
it in the truck, it's with me every day. It does not give me the creeps at all. It did not kill the guy as it is an inanimate object incapable of doing anything on its own.
It is a shame the unfortunate happened but it did.
Joe

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I prefer the more streamlined looks of the Service and Speed Six guns than the Security Six guns, myself.
I've never liked the wings on the top strap of the adjustable sighted Ruger revolvers at all.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
What years were the "plum" models produced? Very nice look..
I am guessing that it is fairly rare also?

justbill2013

Bearcat
The plum coloring wasn't year specific. It was the by-product of slight differences in metallurgy and the bluing salts. For many Ruger aficionados this "problem" makes for a more appealing gun. My photo really doesn't do the gun justice. It was a deep, deep purple in sunlight. It was the prettiest Ruger I ever saw or owned.

Latest posts