Carrying the 3" SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
Would like to hear some input on carrying the 3" SP101 concealed. I've decided to sell off a couple of my bottom feeders and start carrying a revolver again. I like the look of the 3" model, and that extra inch of barrel seems comforting for whatever reason. I'm a fairly slim guy, 6' 165lbs, so sometimes concealing a decent sized gun is a little challenging. What sort of holsters do you guys recommend?

I have a 2 3/4" Speed Six, but it's just too bulky for EDC. I do carry it some during the cold months because it's easier to hide, but I think the SP would be a nice warm weather counterpart. Please share your opinions and experience!

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
I carry mine regularly in a crossbreed supertuck. I positioned the clips to cant the holster slightly forward on my hip at the 8 O'clock position. No one has ever noticed and i have no trouble sitting down or walking around. The supertuck along with a good belt keeps it very secure to the point where I rarely notice the weight. I am very skinny and only 5'6".

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I carry a 3 inch SP101 every day for my "field gun". Actually the only time I don't carry it is when I have to dress around something more flat and concealable in social wear. I wear a loose cover shirt over a high ride OWB holster made by LoboLeather.

surv

Three50seven

Buckeye
I was thinking about looking into an OWB rig, that's how I carry my LC9 now. Well, actually I just sold it to a buddy, so thats how I used to carry it!

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
I do not wear low hanging shirts. I usually have some type of shirt tucked in between the iwb holster and my body. With iwb i am able to wear a vest that meets just below my belt line and it conceals the gun completely. Do not have any experience with owb, my attire would not allow me to do so.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
many years ago, I learned that if I was going to carry 24/7 I had to learn to "dress around" my gun. Some conditions I deal with require a revolver, out of necessity, and others require IWB or even "boot carry". Lots of options to consider.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I Usually wear an un-tucked shirt, but it would be nice to have the ability to carry concealed while being tucked in. I carried my Speed Six this evening in an OWB holster under a hooded sweatshirt and it was totally invisible, but somewhat uncomfortable.

I carry my 3 inch sp in an Ken Null IWB strong side. Summer with a wife beater undershirt to keep the gun off my skin and then a pocket t- shirt or polo shirt. Cool weather means vest to me, at that point I go to an Bianchi slide OWB. Good luck in your quest. There is a lot of great gear out there.
gramps

Arky

Single-Sixer
I use a Bianchi slide for OWB and use a Cross Breed Pancake with optional IWB straps when I need a little more concealment. The Pancake works great OWB too. Both of these holsters fit my 3 in. SP101 and when I want to go light My Wife's J-frame fits both at 25% less weight.

I concealed carry another gun but like the 3" SP101 for wandering around in town on a park trail or whatever. I"ve got a Bianchi 5BHL that I picked up from someone on another forum. Glad I did too. Now each SP101 have their own holster. :grin:

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
I use a High Noon single clip tuckable non reinforced rig. It was cheap, and carries the gun fine but I would like something that would allow easier re-holstering. I know some people who prefer the Galco King Tuk over the Crossbreed. I carry my 3" all day everyday everywhere.......it is nice knowing you have a truly capable and shootable hand cannon on my side. I am also interested in the AKJ Concealco holster....but will eventually try to make a super thin kydex rig for myself when I get the nerve..... By the way I am smallish in size-5' 6" and about 150 lbs. The 3" SP conceals fine....good luck!

aimtrue2011

Bearcat
Depending on the occasion and weather conditions I carry any one of three handguns concealed. They are a Glock 27 or a Ruger 3" GP100 or a Ruger 2.25" SP101.

I use a Mika Pocket holster in my right pant's pocket of jeans or trousers or a Mika Belt Holster on my right hip under a jacket. I use the same Mika Holster for all three handguns:

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss112/shepsan/Conceal%20Carry/?albumview=slideshow

tdubb

Bearcat
SP101 in 2.25 carried in an appendix IWB. The holster is made by Holster Pro. I know some people are against appendix carry but, the trigger pull is heavy. I practice a lot with dummy rounds and dry fire. Even go so far as to video tape my draws and watch them in slow motion to make sure my finger doesn't touch the trigger, until I get a sight picture. There is a lot of reload practice as well, with speed loaders and speed strips.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Thanks for all the good info guys, I hope to find a 3" this Saturday at the show, and hopefully a good holster to go with it.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Try a shoulder holster. Some people hate them, but I love them. Works well for my 6'2" slim frame. I use a cheap Barsony brand, but there's several others worth mentioning that aren't too expensive - one called a Tri-vertible..Ken Null, Uncle Mikes nylon.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I sometimes use a shoulder rig when coon hunting and trapping, but I dunno if I could deal with it for edc. They always seem a little awkward to me for some reason.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Am I the only one here that carries my 3 inch SP101 in a home grown pocket holster that slides right into my right front pocket? Been doing it over 10 years. Back side of holster boned to fit snugly, while the front (outside) is left smooth. A forward OR backward movement of the combination snags the holster in the jeans pocket so only my SP comes out. Of course things are easier with the bobbed hammer, but I did it too before bobbing by covering the hammer spur with my thumb. Your experience may vary though. Don

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/tallbald/0052-1.jpg

SkyRock

Bearcat
Tallbald said:
Am I the only one here that carries my 3 inch SP101 in a home grown pocket holster that slides right into my right front pocket? Been doing it over 10 years. Back side of holster boned to fit snugly, while the front (outside) is left smooth. A forward OR backward movement of the combination snags the holster in the jeans pocket so only my SP comes out. Of course things are easier with the bobbed hammer, but I did it too before bobbing by covering the hammer spur with my thumb. Your experience may vary though. Don

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/tallbald/0052-1.jpg
Very nice! :) Are you wearing jeans, or something else?