7 1/2 44-40 vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

michjean

Bearcat
ar15ed said:
does anyone have one? there was a thread a few days ago about the rarity of the 7 1/2s in general, and someone mentioned the 44-40. man, that HAS to be a rare bird! i think i have only ran across 2 44-40s, and i am pretty sure they were both 5 1/2s.

so, does anyone have a factory 7 1/2??? post some pics!

thanks,
ed
I have one and do not remember what I paid for it. Have shot around a dozen rds. and is in the old cardboard box that Ruger used. A very pretty gun. Camera is down with dead batt.

Mike

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I had 2 and cut 1 down to 3.5 inches

Picture231.jpg

Copper101

Bearcat
I have a ruger vaquero 44-40 chrome with a 7 1/2 in barrel brand new in the box test fired only who knows the value it is very rare!!!

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Copper,
It's stainless steel most likely (Ruger didn't chrome them). As for value, somewhere between $500 and $800 looking at ones that actually sold on Gun Broker. The length is rare, but most cowboy action shooters want the shorter barrels (and I figure they made up a good portion of the buyers in the past.) Anyone looking to use it as a shooter will probably need to get the cylinder reamed as mentioned above; so one needs to add in an additional cost for a gunsmith (I'm not sure Ruger supports repair work on them any more; seems I've heard something about that recently.)

Coogs

Maximum
I've got 3 blued shorties and one 7 1/2 high polish SS in .44-40. wanted to stay with the .44-40 because I'm using a '73 Winchester. Maybe some day there will be a Henry in my future. Coogs.