SR9E vs Security9 for first pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rgrahamvt

Bearcat
I've had long guns around but never a handgun, so I'm looking for a home defense/occasional carry pistol, something affordable to start off with. After some research into what would suit that purpose, I put that up against the inventories of some local shops and it came down the the SR9E vs the Secirity 9. The SR9E is $20 cheaper but comes only one mag, so an additional mag puts it right back around the same price as the Security9.

I've handled M&P Shields, various Glocks, and am just interested in getting something a little less expensive but with a similar feel to those. Both the 9E and Seciruty9 seem ideal, I'm just looking for reasons to go one way or another on one of them. I prefer the look of the 9E in that there is less beveling/contour on the slide, but superficialites aside I'd like to hear from some experienced Ruger folks if the trigger feel is better on the Secirury9 etc etc. Which would you go for in my position?

I have no basis of comparison and am going on advice to get stared in the pistol world. Thanks in advance for any help!

Clovishound

Blackhawk
What I recommend to anyone on the fence about what pistol to buy is this:

Rent both of them. If there is a range nearby that rents, go try them. Something that feels great in the hand, may not shoot great for you. It is money well spent.

Another thought, if money is tight for you remember that you will need to build and keep skills with your defensive gun. A semi auto generally requires more time at the range to learn and more time at the range to maintain proficiency. Revolvers are more expensive to buy, but generally have a shorter learning curve.

The proficiency I refer to is not necessarily just accuracy, but things like ease of mag insertion and racking the slide. More importantly is knowing how to quickly deal with a malfunction. In my opinion, you should have some "muscle memory" to rely on for the workings of the pistol. This doesn't happen with a couple boxes of ammo. A revolver is a much simpler operating firearm. They tend to be far more reliable in operation. There is also a trade off in capacity and .38 special factory ammo is more expensive than 9mm right now.

Buying a new gun, running a box or two through it and putting it in the sock drawer never to see the light of day for 20 years until needed for protection is not a good plan IMO. Since you are already a long gun shooter, I doubt that is your plan.

Good luck with your decision.

rgrahamvt

Bearcat
You're right on about the overall comfort and second nature familiarity, I'm approaching this purchase with that in mind. What I'd add is that no matter which I go with, I'd not only make due with the perceived shortcomings it may have compared to higher end options, but embrace them and well, get damn good with the tool I have.
Anyway I know I can do my own comparisons all day at a range, but given that these are such comparable options I'm also looking for veteran shooters' gut opinions on which they'd chose. The Security9 is so new that I'm sure many have yet to handle it, which is fine, again I'm just looking for a few of your inpressisona even based on a spec list.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rgrahamvt said:
You're right on about the overall comfort and second nature familiarity, I'm approaching this purchase with that in mind. What I'd add is that no matter which I go with, I'd not only make due with the perceived shortcomings it may have compared to higher end options, but embrace them and well, get damn good with the tool I have.
Anyway I know I can do my own comparisons all day at a range, but given that these are such comparable options I'm also looking for veteran shooters' gut opinions on which they'd chose. The Security9 is so new that I'm sure many have yet to handle it, which is fine, again I'm just looking for a few of your inpressisona even based on a spec list.

I've had a 9E for about 3 years. Fine carry gun, never any problems with it. Trigger is a little heavy, but not a big deal, and I prefer a heavier trigger on a carry gun anyway. I did remove the mag safety (which improves the trigger some), and did a little polishing of the internals. Also installed a 20lb captured recoil spring and steel guide rod from Galloway, which was a definite plus to reduce muzzle flip, etc. when shooting my usual Hornady Critical Duty +P ammo. Factory stock spring is 18lbs w/plastic rod, and I think the Security 9 probably has the same.

One of the first things I did with the 9E (before any mods) was run 3 full mags thru it as fast as I could pull the trigger and reload (bought 2 extra mags with it) - 52 rounds in about 45 sec. I like to know a carry gun can handle some stress. Not even a hiccup but did get a little warm on the last mag. :)

Don't have any hands on with the Security 9, so no opinion on it.

All that said, a good way to compare the two is to download the intruction manuals from the Ruger website and compare them. The Security 9 for example carries 15+ 1 and does not have a mag disconnect/safety, while the 9e carries 17+1 and does have a mag safety. Some folks like that, some don't.

On a side note, if you intend to carry it concealed, you need to consider the cost, quality, comfort, & retention of a decent holster. I have a DiamondD IWB leather holster (https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/inside-the-waistband-iwb) and a Blackhawk kydex holster for OWB for my 9E. Both are good holsters.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I've had an SR9 (same gun as the 9E but with a few more frills) and currently have an SR9C (compact version of the SR9). I've not used a Security 9 but can offer some detail differences based on experience and published specifications.

Manual Safety: Both have manual safeties but the SR9E is ambidextrous while the S9 is single sided. Only an issues if you are left handed (I am).

Magazine Safety: The 9E has one but it's easy to remove. The S9 does not have one. Some owners like to have one but many shooters don't.

Trigger pull: The SR9's in general don't have great trigger pulls but they are tolerable. The S9 is reported to be a bit better.

Slide Racking: The SR9E has a stiff recoil spring and my 9C is worse. The S9 is claimed to be easier. This is a consideration if you or someone else in your family that may use the gun have hand strength limitations.

Size: The S9 is slightly smaller and a couple of ounces lighter which makes it a bit better for CCW use. The SR9c is better yet, if somewhat more expensive.

Magazine availability: The SR9's have been out for a long time and magazines are readily available and can be found at very reasonable prices. The S9 is new so magazine availability may be spotty for a while.

Magazine capacity: The 9E holds 17 rounds and the S9 15 rounds. Not much of an issue unless you expect to contend with a Zombie invasion.

The SR9 has established a good track record for reliability and my SR9c has been 100%. The S9 is so new the jury is still out but Ruger's good reputation is behind it.

You probably can't go wrong with either.

rgrahamvt

Bearcat
Thanks for the detailed responses. At the price point it does indeed sound like I can't go wrong. I should have mentioned that I did indeed consider the spec differences and nothing jumped out too much. Mag capacity difference is negligible. Safeties are fine, and I'd swap a recoil spring (and other components) if I were bothered by it. It seems like S9 out of the box is a marginally better shooter, but guys who have put thousands of rounds through the 9E sing it's praises. 9E might take this one.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
You really ought to consider the S&W SD9 and SD40. For the same price you get a stainless slide, two mags instead of one, and choice of 9mm or .40 S&W. The SD series can use the old Sigma magazines which are cheap and plentiful.

Mike J

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
You really ought to consider the S&W SD9 and SD40. For the same price you get a stainless slide, two mags instead of one, and choice of 9mm or .40 S&W. The SD series can use the old Sigma magazines which are cheap and plentiful.

They can be had less expensively. If you go to gun.deals they have a listing for a SD9VE for $219.99 with free shipping. I have no experience with these but a lot of folks seem to like them.

I'd stick with Ruger, that's what this is all about. I have no experience with any of the above.... pretty much a hammer fired guy, but I do have a LC9s..... finally decided the trigger was too light for everyday carry. have switched to double action only with a hammer....

One suggestion when buying a new semi-auto pistol, don't do any modifications to it until you've put a couple hundred rounds through it.... I don't even think you should break it down and clean it before shooting it for the first time. Just bring some lub with you incase the slide needs some...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Not everyone shoots better with a light trigger, I certainly don't. The OP stated he is new to handguns so a light trigger may not be ideal for him.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Mike J said:
They can be had less expensively. If you go to gun.deals they have a listing for a SD9VE for $219.99 with free shipping. I have no experience with these but a lot of folks seem to like them.

Good grief, that's cheaper than Taurus and Kel-Tec. I honestly can't see any valid argument as to why the SR9E or S9 would be a better choice other than user preference/experience. Don't get me wrong, I own more Rugers than S&W but the SD9 for $219 shipped is checkmate, period. Heck, if I encountered that deal locally there's a 99% chance it would be coming home with me.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
Not everyone shoots better with a light trigger, I certainly don't. The OP stated he is new to handguns so a light trigger may not be ideal for him.
Neither the S9 nor the S&W has a trigger anyone would describe as light. The S&W SD's have notoriously poor triggers which is odd considering how decent their M&P triggers are.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:

One thing to keep in mind: While there is no hard and fast standard regarding trigger pull in the industry, nearly every firearm made will have a pull of 4-6 pounds. 9 lbs and higher is pretty common for striker fired pistols due to the mechanics of it. There are also some states that have regulated factory minimum pull weight or have proposed legislation to do so. As far as I know, there are no legal obstacles that would prevent an owner from modifying trigger weight - yet. Although that is in the works due to the Las Vegas shooting and subsequent State and Federal moves to regulate/restrict trigger modifications (the ATF Bump Stock ban) to any firearm - not just AR's.

So my advice is to buy what you can, while you can, and have the trigger "fixed" by a competent gunsmith while it's still allowed.

grobin

Blackhawk
Something to consider is trigger take up, that is does the trigger move a bit before resistance and actuation. Many folks like/need a little takeup. My suggestion would be to go to a range and rent a few pistols to see what you like and can use. Triggers are very much a matter of personal preference! I like ~2lb pull with little or no take up. My brother hates that as he tends to fire prematurely. I find DAO guns to be dangerous and unusable due to excessive trigger force and take up!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm the opposite, I need some trigger weight to properly press the trigger. A light trigger makes my finger feel numb because I can't feel anything. Something like 5 -7 pounds on a handgun is about right. If there was a way to make the single action pull of my revolvers heavier I would do it. I adjusted the trigger on my Weatherby Vanguard to around 10 pounds with minimal creep and it shoots great.

Mike J

Hunter
Personally I don't mind a somewhat heavier trigger as long as it is clean. I haven't shot one of the S&W SD9VE's that was suggested. I have dry fired one before. It didn't feel that bad to me. I don't think I've had anything heavier than 8-8.5 pounds. About the worst trigger I've encountered was on a Kel-Tec P-11 I had. It was long & catchy kind of like dragging 8 pounds down a gravel road. Once I got used to the trigger it shot accurately for me. It was a decent little pistol. I wound up giving it to a friend after I had gotten something else to fill it's role & wasn't really using it anymore.

DDewar53

Bearcat
My son has an SD40, I don't like it at all. It feels cheap, and the trigger is very rough with a really long take-up. I wouldn't buy one. I've been looking at the S9 for every day carry. Since price is not the major factor, the other contender is a Sig Sauer P938 - about double the price of the S9 so probably out of the OP's price range. I'd like to shoot both before making a decision if I can find a place that has one I can try.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Honestly I would go with the American. I think its better than both of those. I like the look of the Security 9 and the 9E, but feel the American is a better choice.

wolfee

Blackhawk
My vote is for the 9E just because I like the flat back option on the grip. Bud's still has a few. Also, I am a bit suspicious of the aluminum rails on the Security. I realize that the old P series guns were entirely aluminum framed and had a reputation of lasting forever. But, that was the whole frame which I assume took more purchase into the slide than does the piece molded into the Security.