SR40 Slide Serrations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jlg

Bearcat
Racking the slide on this pistol is quite painful, often shreds the tip of my ring finger. I've tried sanding the sharp ridges (making a bit of a mess of things) to no avail. I'm wondering now if the skin is getting pinched in the gap formed by the rear of the extractor and the slide. There is quite a gap there and the rear end of the extractor is also quite sharp. I am sending it in to have Ruger look at it.

Anyone have similar problems? Is there some compound or coating that might smooth the edges or fill the gap?

Otherwise I'm quite pleased with the pistol, how it fits the hand, its accuracy and reliability. No problems with the slides on my P97 or Security 9. But I'm developing a twitch whenever I even think about racking the slide on the SR40 without a glove on my left hand.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Wish I could help but Ruger steel is some very tough stuff. I think you where wise to abandon doing it yourself. Unless you have a machine shop and specialized tools.

I can't really comment on if this is normal or not. My sr40c is older and recently they've made a few changes to the pistol. One being leaving the barrel rough and not polished. Perhaps they are now cutting corners on the other spots you mentioned I'm not sure.

There's a member here who's used leather straps to cover the rear serrations. Unfortunately I've forgotten the exact thread.

GunnyGene are you out there?

Taterman

Buckeye
I'm hoping someone has a solution for it. My wife shoot a SR9 in a women's league and smoothing it would help.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Yeah, I just woke up. I used some epoxy to glue thin craft leather you can get at Hobby Lobby or other crafty shops (rough side out) over the slide serrations (9E). Here's a pic. Looks like hell, but works well. Cut the leather to fit and clear where needed before mixing any glue. As always, clean off any oils or wax on the slide first. Have some rubbing alcohol handy to wipe up any excess glue on your hands or the gun before it sets up. Apply the epoxy to the leather - a thin coat. Work the leather down into the grooves with a small stick or whatever. Just be very careful you don't get any epoxy on the extractor or other moving parts when you place it. You'll need to work fast since epoxy sets up in less than 5 minutes. You can use a exacto or razorblade to trim after it's dry, as needed.

QSibZjW.jpg

jlg

Bearcat
Thank you, all. I just FedExed the gun to Ruger to have them check it. When I hear from them I'll let you know.

The leather treatment might be the best solution.

jlg

jlg

Bearcat
Just a note to say that Ruger did a fine job smoothing off the sharp edges on the serrations. I'm very pleased with their customer service. It is back to being my primary carry weapon.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
jlg said:
Just a note to say that Ruger did a fine job smoothing off the sharp edges on the serrations. I'm very pleased with their customer service. It is back to being my primary carry weapon.
That's incredible customer service. Glad it worked out for you. Love the SR series pistols.

Taterman

Buckeye
jlg said:

Do you know what they did to smooth the edges?