Make racking slide easier?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
I'm asking for advice not asinine wise cracks.

You got a lot of advice. I read every post and didn't see any "asinine" wise cracks. Small, short barreled semi-autos need stiffer springs than full sized guns to function. This makes them difficult for some folks to rack. If your wife isn't up to the task she either needs to work out, utilize one of the special techniques suggested, or move on to another platform.

louchia

Single-Sixer
If she has trouble racking the slide she my not like the LCR because the trigger is rather heavy.
Another possibility is a Baretta TomCat. It,s only a .32 but is is a top break semi auto. No need to rack a slide.

Taterman

Buckeye
AzShooter1 said:
Tandemkross makes a slide racker that makes it very easy to move the slide. Give it a try.
See, this kind of remark is what the original poster is talking about.

I'm asking for advice not asinine wise cracks.

I hope you know I'm kidding AzShooter. :)

DGW1949

Hunter
hittman said:
daka said:
She has a Mod 60...but it is too heavy for EDC

Which is why I suggested the LCR.

daka said:
I'm looking for a semi that is EASY to rack....

Maybe a Titan or similar brand in .25ACP if you're dead-set on a semi-auto.

I had a F.I.E. Titan .25ACP back in my youth. Simple design to operate, small, cheap and very reliable. Real easy to work the slide too, and would be even more-so if one thumb-cocked the hammer first. As best as I remember, I think I gave about $50-$60 for it new. I'd bet a serviceable example could still be had for a hundred or less, even these days.

Not recommending a .25 mind you...just sayin' that if the lady in question can't operate a Titan, she probably aint going to be able to work anything else either.

DGW

P89DC

Single-Sixer
If she's having issues racking, why would one think the rest of learning to use a semi-auto pistol will go well?

As others have stated, why not just go with an LCR in 22mag, 327 or 38, depending what she's comfortable with?

There's a reason Ruger sells so many LCRs to women.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
You could also get some grip tape for it. https://www.amazon.com/GT-5000-Strips-phones-cameras-knives/dp/B00C7WXTJS

I bought a roll of that Grip Tape or that tape to stop you from slipping at Home Depot. It looks almost like sand paper. I cut a couple small pieces for both sides of the slide just for in front of the chamber. It made a big difference. My main reason putting it on was to stop holster wear but it does make gripping the little slide easier. I wiped it down real good with lighter fluid let it dry. It's been on there and carried for awhile and that tape has held in place like I just put it on.

s4s4u

Hunter
Maybe the Taurus 738 with wings would be a viable option:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/taurus-shot-show-2016/

daka

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk
I am going to try the tape as you suggested...neat job...
I can just about slide the LCP, this may make it easier for "her"
I just looked at an HP P 30 SK, very easy slide, now if I sell the CCP and one other I can buy the HP !!

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
daka

Hopefully that will help her. It does make it easier to grip the slide. The main reason I put it on to help prevent holster wear especially on that new Sig. I'm not real concerned about the LCPII getting holster wear.
I'm sure there's many ways to do it but here's how I did it.
I wiped where I was putting the grip tape with lighter fluid. Then I had some of that blue masking tape cut to size, I put it on the slide and used a Sharpie marker to mark the edges or curves on the blue tape.
I took a short piece of 2x4 and used a combo square drawing a straight line parallel with the long edge. I got my measurements and cut the grip tape to a block size needed. Using that line on the 2x4 to keep everything square. I carefully removed the blue tape and cut where I had marked it, then I put the finished blue tape on top of the grip tape and used a box cutter(razor knife) to cut the grip tape the same as the blue tape. I wiped the slide down again with lighter fluid before putting the grip tape on.
It was a little time consuming but it came out pretty good.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
daka said:
Thanks
Daniel

You're welcome. I hope it helped you.
I have an update. I have to much time on my hands I recon!

Last night I was looking at my Sig and decided to make a change to the grip tape. I extended the grip tape on the slide release side back further then I had it. Then on both sides I replaced the tape taking it from the rear of the ejection port to the rear of the slide. I think it looks allot better plus it gives added holster wear protection.

Here's how it was.

Here's an updated picture.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys,
I'll try it like this for now. I can always take it off and redo it again.Ill probably wait and see how it holds up. I was surprised how easy the grip tape came off last night. I imagine after it's been on there for any length of time and in some heat it will really adhere to the slide.

It does take a little more effort to draw it out of the holster. Not enough to concern me but I thought I ought to mention it to you.

daka

Bearcat
I'm going to try it on my G26, I had the slide polished a while back, looks great ( I like 2 tone guns) but it definitely made it harder to grip...
I never holster it as I don't use it as an EDC so that will not be a problem....
i have been carrying the LCP which I can just about rack...

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Jesus... that must add a lot of friction to your draw and wear to the inside of the holster. If you ever take that grip tape off, your retention is probably going to be nonexistent.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
tacticalreload said:
Jesus... that must add a lot of friction to your draw and wear to the inside of the holster. If you ever take that grip tape off, your retention is probably going to be nonexistent.

It does add a little friction. I had to stretch that holster when I first got it.One night the gun wrapped in freezer paper did the trick.
I understand what you are saying.
It's not like I am continually drawing it. It's in that holster most of the time and hopefully will never have to be drawn. When it's in the wallet holster in your rear wallet pocket it stays put in that holster. I leave it in my pocket while driving or sitting just like it was my billfold.
Something else I do especially if the holsters are rough inside I put a couple coats of Johnson's paste wax inside. It says right on the can can be used for leather. I've put several coats in the 3 wallet holsters I have. It smooths up the rough leather.