Ruger american 9mm guide rails ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

neilin

Bearcat
RAP 9mm satisfies me very well. So much so I should be adding the RAP .45acp in a couple of weeks. Of course, I must admit I will never part with the 1911A1 .45acp. I am enjoying the RAP 9mm as a defence gun.

neilin

Bearcat
Please see my review under the topic "Ruger American 9mm" if you have not already read it. I am not a writer, so it is mostly a collection of my thoughts.
I would like to add, as some may have, the RAP is made in the USA, it is made for +P which should give it durability, and Ruger is aggressive in its approach to satisfy the gun enthusiast.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
neilin said:
Please see my review under the topic "Ruger American 9mm" if you have not already read it. I am not a writer, so it is mostly a collection of my thoughts.
I would like to add, as some may have, the RAP is made in the USA, it is made for +P which should give it durability, and Ruger is aggressive in its approach to satisfy the gun enthusiast.

I read your review it seemed fair and you seem to be having good luck with it. I'm glad you are happy with it and in the end that's all that matters. I was in a bad mood when I made my post. Maybe I should stay away from the keyboard when I'm feeling grumpy. :lol: Maybe one day I'll have an occasion to actually shoot the thing and maybe some of my concerns will be put to rest. Maybe I'd love it? Unlikely but possible, in any event I'd love to run a few magazines through it if for no other reason than curiosity.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Well, I thought I might actually learn something about the new Ruger from this thread. I was wrong. I read all 7 pages of this mush and got very little about the gun the thread is supposed to be about. I DID learn that it is pretty much a one man show here, with a guy that says he has zero interest in plastic frame guns, but owns two of them; is not aware that many Chrysler products ARE MERCEDES since there were the same company for years, and is a fan of just about every gun EXCEPT Rugers.

Very little info here, so I will return to my rock and crawl back under it. Sorry for intruding into the turf of the club here already.

revhigh

Hawkeye
louiethelump said:
Well, I thought I might actually learn something about the new Ruger from this thread. I was wrong. I read all 7 pages of this mush and got very little about the gun the thread is supposed to be about. I DID learn that it is pretty much a one man show here, with a guy that says he has zero interest in plastic frame guns, but owns two of them; is not aware that many Chrysler products ARE MERCEDES since there were the same company for years, and is a fan of just about every gun EXCEPT Rugers.

Very little info here, so I will return to my rock and crawl back under it. Sorry for intruding into the turf of the club here already.

Hmmm .... Kinda like your post above ... Very little info ... Make that NO info ... Nothing regarding a gun whatsoever .... Some sort of Silliness that Chryslers are really Mercedes, and lots of whining and mush.

Hope your rock is comfortable .... Apology accepted.

REV

louiethelump said:

I posted technical diagrams on the first couple pages. it's all stuff you can find in the manual, but it directly responded to the OP.

EDIT To add:

Please read the post where I stated i feel that it's the best ruger semi-auto they have made thus far.

I've posted several video links that show, so-far, it can out-shoot the Sig P320 and the Walther PPQ.

I want get my hands on one and shoot it against my P250 and a P320.

I haven't seen anyone put it up against a CZ75 or P226 yet...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I examined the American pistol yesterday at the fun store. It has a very substantial feel in the hand, and all the parts felt surprisingly tightly fitted together. The three dot sights are a big step above some of their earlier efforts. They are not luminescent but present a quick sight picture and are steel. I think Novak makes them. The trigger pull felt like a brand new Glock to me. Light take up, firm break with a fair amount of overtravel. Decent but not great. The example at the shop had the hump shaped grip installed which was too fat for my taste. I'm not planning to buy one so I didn't trouble the owner about changing it. The mags look like those of the SR in stainless with a different baseplate.

The biggest thing that I observed about the American is that it feels like a poly frame/striker fired rendition of the old P series. It's big and heavy, trigger pull is not that great, people who don't own them put it down, people who do love them dearly. Hopefully the American will inherit another P series quality of running forever with no problems.

Shiftless

Bearcat
revhigh said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I feel that this is the best designed gun Ruger has produced thus far. I know they said they weren't competing in the military trials for the MHS17 (modular handgun contract) or whatever. But this design would be on the right track.

Don't you think it's a little early to proclaim that... Given Ruger's track record with SA new releases ? They're barely in the public's hands at this point. I sure wouldn't be a beta tester with my own money. What are you basing that opinion on ? Ruger's press releases ?

My understanding is that Ruger tests new pistols by firing 50,000 rounds before releasing to the public, maybe I could apply for a testers position? Get to shoot all of the new guns for free!

REV

JSwenson

Bearcat
I work for a government agency and started carrying a concealed pistol everyday. Most nights I work on my ranch in Texas. Usually I do not put a rifle in the vehicle when I go to the ranch; so I would like to have a pistol that would be useable in both places. In my law enforcement days, a .357 served both purposes. I got a Glock 19 a few months ago (my first plastic pistol), and it is a good pistol after you get used to the trigger. But being a Ruger man I had to try the RAP Compact 9mm. The RAP Compact is perfect for me - have about 500 rounds thru it. I love everything about it, and want to use it for everything. Missed two coyotes out over 50 yards, which I think I would have hit with my GP 100 .357. I realize we are talking a cartridge issue and not a gun issue. Hope I can find some hotter 9mm, +P, or something (maybe some Elmer Keith loads - joking) that will make the carrying RAP in both places possible. Probably asking too much.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
JSwenson said:
Missed two coyotes out over 50 yards, which I think I would have hit with my GP 100 .357. I realize we are talking a cartridge issue and not a gun issue.
Assuming your GP is a 4" or 6", I think its significantly longer sight radius and fully adjustable sights had more to do with it than the cartridge itself. Also, a revolver's single action trigger pull is a real advantage over nearly any striker fired semi.