LC9s Pro: Pinching Trigger Finger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Where is it pinching? I've not had that problem with mine and I'm trying to envision how it could pinch? Are you maybe holding really low on the trigger? Have you checked to see if there are any sharp edges or anything like that?

Sloman

Bearcat
Bottom of my trigger finger. I try to grip the gun as high as I can and my trigger finger tends to lay at the bottom rather than the top of the trigger. I think it's that blasted "safety" on the trigger that has a sharp side.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I think I see how you are pinching, now. It sounds like your finger position is a bit low - it needs to be high enough that first contact is with the trigger safety. If your finger is too low then you will be pressing against the bottom tip of the trigger, the trigger won't move because the safety hasn't released, your trigger finger compresses some and by the time the trigger safety is depressed you've compressed some flesh past the bottom of the trigger so when the trigger moves it catches it between the trigger and frame.

Sounds like you just need more time with the gun so you get used to putting the trigger finger a little higher on the trigger. With the low finger position you're not only pinching the finger, you're probably not getting the accuracy you should either because the trigger doesn't operate smoothly that way. With a higher finger position the trigger is extremely smooth.

John

Sloman

Bearcat
Thanks Single-Sixer! I will try that. I'm trying to replace a Glock 26 with this LC9s (after 25 years of carrying both as an LE and civilian, I'm tired of being "weighed down"). So I'm trying to make this LC9s Pro work for me.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Sloman said:
Thanks Single-Sixer! I will try that. I'm trying to replace a Glock 26 with this LC9s (after 25 years of carrying both as an LE and civilian, I'm tired of being "weighed down"). So I'm trying to make this LC9s Pro work for me.
Just FYI - I'm "OldePhart" - Single-Sixer is my rank based on number of posts-the forum administrators got cutesy and named the ranks based on Ruger products... :)

I am a long time (25+ years) Glock fan but for CCW I really hate the width of a double-stack; I can easily hide a longer barrel, and even a slightly taller grip, but the width makes Glocks really print on my form. If Glock made a single-stack version of the 26 or 27 I'd be carrying it (magna-ported in the case of the 27). Anyway, I ended up with an LC9s after falling in love with the trigger...the only single-stack 9mm I've found about which I could say that. Out of the box mine was as good as my Glocks after the latter were tuned with lighter springs and a generous application of Flitz. :)

Sloman

Bearcat
"OldePhart", sorry about that. As you can tell, I am new to posting here. I'm a Glock Armorer and carried Glocks as a cop. I like Glocks, I'm not a hater. But that double stack width and the weight of the 26 just don't hang it in the summer time. I'm over 50 and after all these years, a j frame is sometimes the most I can carry!

BTW: went to range today and now have 373 rounds through my LC9s PRO using 6 different ammos (Monarch, Speer, Federal (3 types, JHP, hollow point, brass and aluminum) & FreedomMunitions). No failures of any type with the USA mags I got with it. Tested 124 gr. Federal HST and 124 gr. Gold Dot through it also with no problems feeding, firing or ejecting.

Now if I can stop the pinching, I'll be fine! LOL!

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Sounds good. One thing to watch on the USA mags even if they work fine at the range - if you carry (especially IWB or other tight holster) watch that they don't release in the holster. That was my only complaint with the USA mag that came with my gun ... works fine at the range, none of the "drop under recoil" I've heard of other guys having. But, when I carry IWB it releases when I twist my torso, such as sitting in a car, etc. None of my four Italian mags do that.

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I did some playing about with a bright light and a magnifying hood (my near vision is getting really lousy). What I found was that if I press the magazine release slightly rearward (toward the back strap) and down the USA magazine releases visibly earlier than the Italian ones. Since it's visible I'd say it's at least a few 100'ths of an inch earlier.

Examining the notch in the magazines reveals that the Italian mags are stamped very sharply, almost look undercut. The stamping of the notch in the USA magazine looks "mushier" and kind of rounded. That's true of the entire stamping, btw, even the feed lips show this same characteristic. My guess is that the USA tooling is old or they are polishing the mags and rounding the edges...which is fine at the feed lips but not so good where the magazine release has to lock them in!

One of these days when I have some time I'm going to take a stone to the notch in that USA mag and see if I can't encourage it to grip better. :)

Oh...and the bluing of the Italian mags is also much deeper and richer in color. I can have all five mags on the shelf in my closet and unerringly pick out the dull USA mag from the others even with my poor vision.

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I really wish that I could say that the American product was better. I owned a Fiat once and swore I'd never "buy Italian" again... LOL

Sloman

Bearcat
I literally twisted both my mags while seated in the gun and could not get them to disengage in any way. Perchance I got a good one??? Did I luck up and get a good one? Anyone out there??

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Really the only way to tell is to wear it...you've already tested it at the range and it hasn't released under recoil...so if it doesn't release in the holster there is no reason to think it's not fine.

I'm sure not every USA magazine is messed up...just a relatively high number of them. Also, it probably depends on your physique, holster, and carry position, as well. I think if I was carrying this in a pocket holster in a cargo pocket it probably would never release. It's just that twist of the torso that pushes my love-handles rearward and outward, maybe. :)