LC9 magazine safety removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
Yeah I have watched a few. I was more hoping to start a discussion from folks that took it out and have a few hundred rounds through the gun after.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
Yeah I have watched a few. I was more hoping to start a discussion from folks that took it out and have a few hundred rounds through the gun after.

Other than firing without a magazine installed the gun operates exactly the same with or without the magazine disconnect safety removed ... assuming the job is completed correctly.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I've done it and it doesn't change a thing aside from the obvious functionality-wise, which is to enable the pistol to fire without the magazine in place.

A magazine safety has no business on a pistol you may need to rely on in a crisis situation and I avoid them if possible or remove.

In fact after carrying my LC9 in an DeSantis IWB last summer and prior to removing it, enough crud, lint and perspiration had apparently worked itself into the channel the mag safety resides in that it became frozen in the forward, or deactivated position.

I had to use little CLP in the area and work it back and forth to loosen it. That's when I decided it didn't need to be there anyway.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Removed the MDS from my LC9 and LC380 and there is completely unnoticeable except for being able to fire without the magazine. Have removed it from 7 other Ruger pistols because it serves no useful purpose.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I'm weird - I like safeties. But I have seen a few guns that when the magazine is removed you still have to cycle the slide AFTER reinserting the magazine. Now that is just plain stupid.