SR 22 Pistol - Looking for Hints

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wilbs999

Bearcat
I have cleaned this pistol twice, and it's so hard to clean I'm starting to think about not shooting it.

I can get the bore brush through. It takes some muscle, but it goes. Putting a patch through on a slotted tip is a ridiculous exercise, because as soon as the patch reaches the barrel it backs up. It simply will not go through. I can push the tip through the barrel and then put the patch on it and then I've been able to pull it through the barrel (not an easy process to thread the patch while holding the frame and the rod inserted through the barrel), but I've now stripped the slotted tip, and had to toss it.

I've cleaned both the SR9C and the .380 LCP with no issues at all. I did have to remove the striker assembly from the SR9C and clean that once when it stopped firing but now it's great and I have no issues with either of them.

I'm just looking for some kind of trick I guess that somebody may know that I haven't yet figured out.

Thanks!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I haven't had any issues like that with mine. No different than any other .22 I have. You sure you're using the right size patch, etc.?

6gun

Hunter
The SR22 pistol is the easiest gun to clean I have ever owned, sounds like your barrel is leaded up, have you been shooting Remingtons or some other cheap ammo in the gun?

louchia

Single-Sixer
I would guess the patch is to large and/ or the loop that holds it is to large. If the bore brush goes through, the patch should.

evi1joe

Bearcat
Yep. Sounds like too large a patch. Have you tried a bore-snake? They make everything easier (to me anyway).

louchia

Single-Sixer
yep, I think one or more of the above is correct. Bore brush and or patch too big or lead fouling from something like Rem. Thunderbolts. Shine a light down the bore. If there is lead, you will probably see it. When you are done cleaning, it should shine like a mirror.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Never tried one in .22, but I really like using a jag. No threading through the little eye, just lay the patch over the center of the jag, and push it through. When I have a patch that won't go into the bore, I just trim it down, and have never had one that wouldn't make it through. I cut my own patches from old t shirts, so I just guess at the right size. Usually I get it right, but sometimes I cut the .22s a little too big. .22 can be tough getting started on occasion, usually because the rod is so close to the bore size, compared to larger calibers.

Bore snakes are easy peasy, especially in a pistol. I have to really pull to get mine through my .223 rifle, but they go through my Mark I like a Wednesday night burrito.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Clovishound said:
Never tried one in .22, but I really like using a jag. No threading through the little eye, just lay the patch over the center of the jag, and push it through. When I have a patch that won't go into the bore, I just trim it down, and have never had one that wouldn't make it through. I cut my own patches from old t shirts, so I just guess at the right size. Usually I get it right, but sometimes I cut the .22s a little too big. .22 can be tough getting started on occasion, usually because the rod is so close to the bore size, compared to larger calibers.

Bore snakes are easy peasy, especially in a pistol. I have to really pull to get mine through my .223 rifle, but they go through my Mark I like a Wednesday night burrito.

Yep, Jags are the way to go ( Not the plastic ones )...............................

mohavesam

Hawkeye
get a Boresnake and a Dunk-Kit and stop the amatuer-hour.
If a Boresnake won't get the bore mirror-bright, you've got el cheapo ammo problems.

Latest posts