Advice, Please: Ruger SR9 vs. M&P Shield 9mm.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dkleiner

Bearcat
Hello, all:

As you can see from my post count, I am new to this forum and rather new to the shooting world in general. My son, age 16, has been shooting for about two years with his grandfather and from what instructors tell me, he a natural. In March, I bought him a Ruger MK III 22 Target pistol. I started shooting with him and caught the bug.

After some formal instruction, I bought a CZ 75BD Police, Berretta 92FS Inox and an H&K P30, all of which are 9mm.

I live in Pennsylvania and am going to apply for a CC permit shortly. After more instruction and practice, I would like to buy a firearm specifically for this purpose. I intend to carry IWB.

I am looking at the Shield and Ruger SR 9. Both seem to fit the bill well. Of major concern is long-term reliability and immediate ease of use.

Thank you for any advice or input you can give me.
Dan

MGMorden

Bearcat
They're kinda different guns.

The SR9 standard is a larger duty sized gun. The SR9c is a compact model but still a double-stack, so its still just as thick; clothing in Pennsylvania probably would allow concealment of it though.

The Shield is a small single-stack gun that will be much thinner. Personally thickness of the gun is the #1 issue I've run into for carry - I've never found a double-stack that I could carry well (the Browning Hi Power is close, but the long barrel and difficult to manipulate safety make it a non-starter).

Really, the Ruger LC9 would be the most appropriate comparison to the M&P Shield. Now, I've never fired either of those specifically - as close as I've gotten is the Ruger LCP and the S&W M&P 9L. From that bit of experience I'll say that I've had just as good of luck with both Ruger and S&W. Everything I've had from both companies has worked well. I'd go to a shop, hold each in the hand, and dry fire each. Pick the one that feels the best.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I highly recommend the M&P Shield in 9mm over the LC9. The shield comes in .40 s&w as well but I'd not recommend the .40. Nothing wrong with the gun, but that's a light gun mixed with a snappy round and I think you'll enjoy it a lot less then the 9mm.

Have a look at the Berreta Nano as well while your looking.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Looks like a list of winners to me but I'm sure you meant to say Ruger SR9c? :D Maybe it helps to think of it this way,
Bigger compacts SR9c or Glock 26
Or smaller compacts Nano or Shield.

There is a noticeable size difference between these two groups that will affect concealment. For instance it's a very common story to hear of former Glock 26 owners switching to the Shield for the hottest months because its easier to hide.

On the upside all of those on the list could also be enjoyable firearms to shoot at the range. The Nano I can't say for sure its the one I haven't fired.

dkleiner

Bearcat
My mistake-"C" it is.

It is important that the gun be fun to shoot at the range. I don't want a gun that I dread firing.

Thanks for the advice.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I carry both a G26 or a KT P3AT.

Since I got the KT ... I've not carried the Glock. It's too damn big.

IWB has got to be the most uncomfortable table way to carry on The planet. You'll see.

I carry the P3AT in a pocket holster right in my pocket.

Don't make the mistake of trying to find a compromise between range and carry. They're two different animals. Sure you'll want to shoot it at the range for practice, but if it's big enough to shoot regularly at the range .... It's too big for comfortable carry. That describes the G26 perfectly.

I'd look at an LCP, LCR, LC9, or P3AT, as well as the Shield.

The SR9 or 'c' is too big and heavy for comfortable every day concealed carry.

Don't forget ... Were civilians ... We don't need to be armed with full size weapons like cops ... Who carry in a plain view holster.

Trust me .... Buy a dedicated carry weapon ... Don't try to make it a combination weapon on the range.

REV

dkleiner

Bearcat
Hawkeye,

I appreciate what you're saying but that Kel-Tec is so damn small. It looks like it's fly out of my hand!

revhigh

Hawkeye
dkleiner said:
Hawkeye,

I appreciate what you're saying but that Kel-Tec is so damn small. It looks like it's fly out of my hand!

FYI ... the KT is exactly the same size as the LCP. :D

They're wonderful carry guns. You really should try to shoot one.

REV

Trucker

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
IWB has got to be the most uncomfortable table way to carry on The planet. You'll see. ....

The SR9 or 'c' is too big and heavy for comfortable every day concealed carry.

Well, I have several options available to me as to how I carry and what I carry. Guess what! SR9C ISWB every day all day long from the time I put on my pants in the morning to the time I go to bed at night! Only once in a great while will I do differently re choice of weapon or the the way I carry. I use a CrossBreed Super Tuck .... all day long comfortable as can be and the SR9C simply disappears under a T-Shirt.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You might want to take a look at the new Remington R51 as well if you can. Haven't seen one yet, but I'm reading some very good things about it.

DenverGT

Bearcat
I've owned a ruger SR9c for a year now, love it, carry it everywhere, OWB with loose clothing, or IWB when I need to be dressed in tucked-in business clothes. Never had any issues, hides very well, but i'm 6'3, 210. The sr9c shoots great, one of the best stock triggers on any similar gun I've tried.

The wife is now waiting for her CCW permit, so we went gun shopping for her. She wanted something a little smaller (mainly thinner) than the sr9c. We tested the Beretta Nano, Ruger LC9, M&P Shield, Springfield XD-S, and Bersa BP.

We both completely hated the LC9. Trigger pull was way too long. Couldn't shoot it accurately at all. More perceived recoil than any other gun we tested.

Beratta Nano didn't impress, not as bad as the LC9, but trigger was not smooth, no clean break, etc. Felt cheap.

M&P Shield: liked the trigger right away. Not as good as our ruger sr9c, but still good, not too long a pull, fairly crisp break. Very comfortable in the hand. The wife was more accurate with the shield in her first magazine full than she is after months of shooting the sr9c. I was just as good with the shield as the sr9c.

Bersa BP: Trigger was amazingly light, almost too light for my comfort. Shot ok, but didn't like the feel as much as the shield.

We ended up with a new shield, $399 at the local gun shop, then added on a Talon grip to help me hold onto the thin shield grip. It's over 300 rounds thru it in the past couple weeks, and not a single malfunction. We also got a remora holster for the shield, and it hides very well .

I'll still carry my sr9c most of the time, but if she isn't carrying the shield, and I want something I can throw into a larger pocket (cargo shorts, or jacket pocket), the shield will do the job nicely.

I prefer to get a carry gun that is still comfortable and fun to shoot at the range. More practice is better if I ever have to use the carry gun. If I had an LC9, I wouldn't shoot it unless I had to. With the sr9c and the shield, both are fun to shoot.

eveled

Hawkeye
When looking for a small single stack 9mm, I went with the Walther PPS. It is a joy to shoot and very easy to carry. The multiple size magazines are a real bonus. The six rounder for pocket carry, the seven, or eight for belt carry. Ed.

PPSlineup_zpsb03562ae.jpg

Also consider the Sig P938. Do some reviews on it. They hold up solid to thousands of rounds, are light weight, and the recoil is not bad at all on them. The accuracy and reliability are amazing too.

dkleiner said:
Doesn't anyone have something bad to say about the Shield? :wink:

No.

There is no winner with these discussions, but it is interesting to see what folks view as pros and cons of the different models. I'd guess most folks minds are made up of their favorite even before they actually buy and/or shoot the product.

I own the Shield, the LC9, and the SR40c. All similar in dimensions and performance. None of them are range pieces to me. Just inexpensive little guns designed to be easily concealed, and hopefully will function as designed when they're called to do so.

The biggest difference to me, and what causes the Shield to be my favorite, is the very nice ergonomics. But, that could very well apply only to me. Although the Shield is still a small gun, when I'm holding and shooting it, it just feels like a bigger gun.

Here's the LC9 on top, the Shield on the bottom.

And a side view of the same two guns.

And a view of both guns.

And, the biggest difference between the Shield and the SR40c is the girth of the SR40c is obviously larger.

A feller has just got to pick one and run with it. :wink:

WAYNO.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Nice comparison shots Wayno. And the PPS is really nice and I can'y believe I forgot to mention it! I was just pricing one the other day. They might be the most expensive in the bunch but I'd like to have one as well. Never shot it though.

dkleiner

Bearcat
And the winner is....

...the M&P Shield.

The SR9C had a snappy trigger. I started shooting multiple shots, but that quieted down as I got used to it. However, my grouping was much better with the Shield. I really liked the PPS, but not for an extra $140.00.

Thanks to everyone for their input!