Ruger american 9mm guide rails ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
revhigh said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
This is what I was referring to earlier...

P1060300_900x600.jpg

The Ruger, however, also has a changeable grip (one of the MHS requirements)

Did you really buy that gay looking gun ? Not that theres anything wrong with gay guns .... :D

REV

I don't own a 320. Pic was posted for technical comparison. I don't think it looks that bad. I just don't need one. My P226s fill the gap excellently.

Yeah .... My 226 and 225 are hard to beat.

REV

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
One Ruger that was very accurate for me was the P95, should have never gotten rid of that pistol. I will find another though.
This Ruger American (and yes I am a beta tester I guess) with the smaller grip panel fits my small hands well. I like everything about it (except maybe the squared off back of the gun). There is no discomfort to me when shooting it. Accuracy is not bad, it is as good as the M&P that I traded in on it. The biggest thing that I say I myself feel about this gun is it's not eye opening jump up and down different. When you hold it and shoot it, it's like Oh-Hum what's the big deal. It just works in every department (but some do not like the squared of back of the grip and slide). I think Ruger made it the way they wanted it, took good from all the other companies and put them all in one package. I have had mine ever since they came out. Just works not one failure of any kind.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Don't know about it's sexuality but the Sig 250 and 320 are some butt ugly guns. Odd looking hump on the front strap of the grip. Huge corrugated accessory rail on the dust cover. Unnecessary downward sloping contour on the top of the slide with useless but trendy front slide serrations. I love Sig's core P220 series. Why do they think that a less expensive pistol has to be ugly and strange looking?

revhigh

Hawkeye
All plastic is butt ugly .... But in the case of Sigs ... You just gotta forgive it ... and/or overlook it ... Because they're so damned good.

REV

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Had the SIG P320, nice gun, but nothing on the M&P that I already had so I traded it. Now the M&P is gone, traded even for the Ruger American. Glad I did.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
All plastic is butt ugly .... But in the case of Sigs ... You just gotta forgive it ... and/or overlook it ... Because they're so damned good.

REV

I agree with you about Sig quality, but when it comes to ugly plastic guns that just keep on going I'm sticking with Glock. If I own another Sig it will be a metal frame 220 series.

Yawn

Blackhawk
What? Blah blah blah. Why don't you care about me anymore?

Just kidding... but I do want those range reports!

lostdog

Bearcat
hello, so far everyone who has shot our range American has like it ! They go for $ 475 to $480 , look out Glock 19 -$520 . Iam thinking they copy the Sig P320 in a lot of Good ways. Time will tell how well it holds up + sells !

revhigh

Hawkeye
The G19 has absolutely nothing to worry about ... At roughly the same price ... Glock wins every time. The rap needs to sell for $400-425 or so to take sales away from Glock ... And that's what they will sell for very soon ... If they want to sell them in any quantity.

We've all seen this before ... With the 345, LCP, SR's, SR1911, etc. people get all excited, brag the gun up, pay exorbitant prices, and then reality sets in, and the prices fall right back to where Rugers typically sell for ... Roughly 65-75% of MSRP depending on the gun. It's been that way for 20 years.

An attempted Sig copy is not a Sig ...

It's still extremely suspicious that Ruger designs a SA that matches the criteria for the govt tests almost exactly ... And then doesn't submit it. Why would you do that unless you KNEW BEFOREHAND that it would fail certain required criteria, and that an announced failure would hamper sales more so than just not submitting it at all.

And just because it has 'guide rails' ... Does not mean that it's reliable, accurate, or any more dependable than previous Ruger SA's ... And it most certainly doesn't make it a Sig.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
jstanfield103 said:
Accuracy is not bad, it is as good as the M&P that I traded in on it.

Oooh boy ... That's not good ... M&P's have never been known for above average accuracy ... Most times they're known for extremely poor accuracy.

There's hundreds ... Maybe thousands of M$P lack of accuracy threads.

http://monderno.com/news/chris-costa-reports-smith-wesson-mp-problem/

REV

lostdog

Bearcat
Wow it seems Rev, sure got it in for the Rugers and some of the M+P also !! I got a 357 GP100 half lug ,about 18 yrs. old , its VERY accurate. I also have a Mark 2 competition Target [.22] a great shooter. Did have a SR9 got it when they First came out- had peening issue 2x traded it off.
Had a man come into shop with a CZ compact , the firing pin spring had wore right threw at 1100 rds he said !
Even though all the You tube video's on the American gave good reports , a few [few] said their knuckle got bruise.
All I'am trying to say is lets give the American a chance ? Not every one can spend $ 900 to $1000 + for a gun...
Smell the power and have a great day ,,, lol :lol:

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm just very realistic, don't drink any flavor kool aid .... And say things the way I see them ...

REV

Cordite

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
It's still extremely suspicious that Ruger designs a SA that matches the criteria for the govt tests almost exactly ... And then doesn't submit it. Why would you do that unless you KNEW BEFOREHAND that it would fail certain required criteria, and that an announced failure would hamper sales more so than just not submitting it at all.

REV

I think that there is a lot more to the story about why Ruger did not submit their gun for approval than the pistol design.

Conjecture: There is a LOT of procedural crap and hidden expenses when selling anything to the government. They may have started down the road to design the gun using the govt spec and found this out. At that point Ruger concluded they had a pretty good pistol and it would be perfect for the civilian market (lucky us!) instead of dealing with the government.

Conjecture: Selling a firearm to the government is about politics as much as it is about the design and performance. The military may have already decided on what they wanted before the trials and would be just going through the motions with the whole approval process. Ruger found this out and decided that the hassle and expense just wasn't worth it.

Conjecture: For any manufacturing company it is dangerous to have any one customer be a large percentage of sales. Life is good when the very large customer is sending in those big orders but it is devastating when those orders stop. Example: Colt and AR-15 sales to the military. Ruger may have decided to avoid the risk and get the sales from the civilian market instead.

Could be a lot more reasons. I'm just happy we have the opportunity to buy the Ruger American. It's on my list.

Cordite

revhigh

Hawkeye
jstanfield103 said:
My M&P had a Storm Lake Barrel in it. So it was not factory. I just did not bother to mention it.

An aftermarket barrel supposedly solves the problem from what I've heard and read.

I've never been impressed with the accuracy of any of these plastic so called duty guns.

REV

lostdog

Bearcat
Update: I gave a man a Glock 17 and a American 9mm today to try at range , he went home with the American !
We received 4 American 9 mm late Wednesday ,the last one went out the door at 5 pm Friday. We also sold a Glock 23 and 2 M+P Shields Friday . Kinda slow today! I shoot the American and the 17 pretty much the same at 25 ft. Ill go by what I see and half of what hear , lets give it 6 months !

Yawn

Blackhawk
Cordite said:
revhigh said:

REV

I think that there is a lot more to the story about why Ruger did not submit their gun for approval than the pistol design.

Conjecture: There is a LOT of procedural crap and hidden expenses when selling anything to the government. They may have started down the road to design the gun using the govt spec and found this out. At that point Ruger concluded they had a pretty good pistol and it would be perfect for the civilian market (lucky us!) instead of dealing with the government. So you are saying they started a massive company wide undertaking without having their extensive legal department look into the ramifications of this? That conjecture is a big slam to Ruger, as that is awful business. YOu lose your shirt doing that type of stuff. Ruger is a better run company than that. Beside, they got far enough down the road to mass produce... I highly doubt only then they looked at the fine print.

Conjecture: Selling a firearm to the government is about politics as much as it is about the design and performance. The military may have already decided on what they wanted before the trials and would be just going through the motions with the whole approval process. Ruger found this out and decided that the hassle and expense just wasn't worth it. This is more plausible... but, if their weapon was far superior then the political weapon that actually gets chosen, why bow out of the trials? Why would anyone skip that free publicity and marketing opportunity? Of course, if in your own test you found that your weapon was subpar and wouldn't come close to making the cut, the brilliant move would being the first company going to market with a weapon made for the trials. Brand it as the Ruger American, with a picture of the flag behind it... big press... and push it to your very loyal fan base (who are mostly still in love with your revolvers) as the semi auto solution for all those revolvers guys... a single action revolver type gun with only a trigger safety. Fully cocked with no lock... just like the revolver guys like it.

Conjecture: For any manufacturing company it is dangerous to have any one customer be a large percentage of sales. Life is good when the very large customer is sending in those big orders but it is devastating when those orders stop. Example: Colt and AR-15 sales to the military. Ruger may have decided to avoid the risk and get the sales from the civilian market instead. Again, that would be very very poor business to make that decision after years and untold monies of research... to the point where the firearm is now mass produceable, including retooling you machining to fit it. Ruger is a very smart sales and branding company, far too smart for either 1 or 3 of your conjectures.

Could be a lot more reasons. Can I ask you a question that I am really seriously asking... how is it that you could literally entertain the above notions (which edge on the side of far fetched at times) and not even consider that Ruger realized there product was subpar for the government trials and made a very smart and savvy business decision? I'm just happy we have the opportunity to buy the Ruger American. It's on my list.

Cordite

Yawn

Blackhawk
lostdog said:
Update: I gave a man a Glock 17 and a American 9mm today to try at range , he went home with the American !
We received 4 American 9 mm late Wednesday ,the last one went out the door at 5 pm Friday. We also sold a Glock 23 and 2 M+P Shields Friday . Kinda slow today! I shoot the American and the 17 pretty much the same at 25 ft. Ill go by what I see and half of what hear , lets give it 6 months !

All that your statements just proved are that Ruger knows how to sell guns. No one is arguing that fact... there branding is second to none!! There business model is fantastic! There semi handguns are good, usually! No one is arguing that. But there semi handguns are not better than good, when compared to many other guns. Why is that so offensive and/or difficult for people to accept? I am actually very disappointed that this sector of the American population isn't more accepting of truths sitting in front of them. And lostdog... you have 5 posts... all in this thread... all proclaiming how amazing the RAP is and one trying to slam REV, though not actually refuting anything he said... just trying to plaster an incorrect label on him. I do blame REV though... this is the best discussion ability that Trump has too. Rev, this is God trying to show you who Trump really is. color]