"Star" Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently acquired this example of the "star" stamped single six. It is very clean - it's been shot some, but not much and nearly pristine condition, but no box or papers with it. Model KS-6; S/N 62-941xx, and shipped Nov'74.

DSCN2416.jpg

DSCN2404v2.jpg

edited to clean up photos.

Also, it came with the Rosewood grips. These are noted in RENE as a possibility with these, but SR&Co records group could not confirm grip type - the invoice did not specify. I took the grips off to examine, and it didn't look like they had ever been off the gun, but it's really hard to tell...

At any rate, I feel it is a good snag as an add to my growing herd of single sixes - this is my first NM single six.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Thats a nice way to start out with NM's, now you only need 7
more of those "Stars" 3-SS and 4 Blue. :wink: Very clean looking
gun also. Rosewood grips are kinda rare on these guns, I only
have seen 3 guns with those and yours is one of them. My KS6
is #63-91525. Heres a couple of pics of mine. Best of hunting to you!!

014.jpg

001.jpg

That is a nice set of "stars"! I will keep looking and hope to stumble on another one.

It sounds like you are pretty sure the rosewood grips are original to the revolver. Have you found any way to confirm?

flatgate

Hawkeye
I have a KS9 shooter. Found it in a Auto Repair/Gunshop in Pinedale, WY.
The owner would take guns in on trade for Car or Cowboy Pick'em Up repair!
My first Flattop .44 came from there, as well. My observant UPS driver buddy spotted it for me...... :D

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
cellar701 said:
That is a nice set of "stars"! I will keep looking and hope to stumble on another one.

It sounds like you are pretty sure the rosewood grips are original to the revolver. Have you found any way to confirm?

There is no way to ever confirm rosewood panels on a star model, but there are enough of them out there to say that a few were shipped with rosewood. Ruger records just don't have room in their records to note production changes like that even if they had the forthought to do such things. Guns is guns to the employees.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Thats a nice way to start out with NM's, now you only need 7
more of those "Stars" 3-SS and 4 Blue. :wink: Very clean looking
gun also. Rosewood grips are kinda rare on these guns, I only
have seen 3 guns with those and yours is one of them. My KS6
is #63-91525. Heres a couple of pics of mine. Best of hunting to you!!

014.jpg

001.jpg

Super set of STARS! Thanks for sharing. Don't recall ever seeing such a display. I am envious! :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
I agree! That accomplishment has only ever been done 2 or 3 times that I know of. I don't believe even the great Fred Nielson collection had the S4 and Fred put all of his away when the star models came out in '74 and '75.
The key obviously is the blue S4, but there are quite a few others there that you don't see very often any more either.
The two that everybody seems to like and recognize are the KS4 and KS9, but I'll bet there are more of those known than many of those other "star" models with a lot higher production. Bet most of those other non-KS4's and KS9's have seen some tough use as well.

Hey Terry....do you have all four of the "arrow" marked SSR's as well?
Chet15

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Hey Terry....do you have all four of the "arrow" marked SSR's as well?
Chet15

Chad,
Yes I do, all NIB & Shippers very crisp. Your right the key to the set is the S4!! The S9 and KS9 Boxed were very hard to find.