Single Six types?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I'm trying to understand the early single six types. I'm pretty sure that I have 1-5 figured out but 6 is causing some confusion.

6 is listed as around serial numbers 110,XXX-196,XXX and are denoted with a straight slot ejector rod house and flat round thumbpiece rod. Then there is a subseries number range of 160,XXX-196,XXX where the bore diameter was changed to allow the use of 22 mag ammo for the convertibles. Why are these not separated as separate types, i.e. type 6 and 7? Is it a type 6 per convertible bore and a type 6 post convertible bore?

Thanks,

chet15

Hawkeye
I've always went by Munnell's descriptive variety lists. Reason being, if you have OM Single-Six varieties figured out 1 through 35 for example, then another new discovery comes about in between, what number do you give it? Do you re-number the whole bunch because of the new discovery (after everybody has already memorized it?). It is also much harder to memorize what those 35 variations are (just using 35 here as a random number).
In Munnell's texts, he goes by Chapters which divide up the different major model Series.... Single-Six LR Only, RSSE, Lightweights, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Magnum Single-Sixes, Convertible Single-Sixes, Super Single-Sixes, NM Super Single-Sixes.
So back to the Single-Sixes, he starts with 1953 Series (the flatgates)... there are four types 1 through 4. Next is the 1957 Series where the round loading gate was added. Type 1 roundgate has a short slot ejector housing, Type 2 roundgate has a long slot ejector housing in barrel lengths 4-5/8", 5-1/2" and 9-1/2".
Then come the 1963 series, the transition guns... for this I"ll go to the Convertibles as it is easier to understand (and there are more of them)...
1963 Type 1 Transition has XR3-RED grip frame, small serial numbers, steel ejector housing,stamped digits on the auxiliary cylinder only. models RSS5X, RSSMX and RSS9X
1963 Type II Transition has XR3-RED grip frame, small serial numbers, alloy ejector housing, stamped digits on the auxiliary cylinder only. models RSS5X, RSSMX and RSS9X
1963 Type III Transition has XR3-RED grip frame, small serial numbers, alloy ejector housing, scratched digits on the both cylinders. models RSS5X, RSSMX and RSS9X.
Next up are the Large numbered guns, four different models without INC barrel address, then 4 different models with INC barrel address.
Chet15

....recall conversations years ago at the Monroeville,PA Rugers collectors show, ala the "RCA" the discussion then was it took 202 different vasriations of the SIngle Six to come upo with a "complete" collection or display as you would have to have to be "judged" complete..........oh well that was about the time my wife gave up on that idea,. keep a select few of each was her end game.....heck look at how many models of just a new 22 Lite or Wrangler and also the SR1911...ha ha not on a retirees fixed income..:cool::rolleyes:

Happy new Year folks !!!;)(y)

Latest posts