Boxes, fix them or leave them as is?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I guess this is the Forum to put this in.

I have some old Ruger boxes that can easily be repaired...without scotch tape :wink: Should I just leave them in their current state?

contender

Ruger Guru
When I'm in a tinkering mood, and it's a rainy day, I do proper repairs of my boxes that have correctable damage. SOme folks are good enough to make it look as if there isn't even a repair. I like restored boxes.

mike722

Buckeye
I agree... if they just need a little glue, or mild cleaning, it always enhances the value..as long as you aren't changing the way the box looked as issued.. just NEVER get in a hurry..

once they "start" to break at the corners (top or bottom) they are on the road to destruction,, it ain't gonna get any better and yes, the ends WILL fall off..............................yep, tape works BUT is NOT the way to do it............
best to NOT "store" the guns in the boxes, and NEVER use them to 'ship' a gun ANYWHERE, arond the block or across the country........

heatingman

Bearcat
Over the years I have gathered many old Ruger boxes in disrepair and sometimes beyond repair. I have often cannibalized those that could not be helped for donor materials for those that could. Patience and glue can work wonders, that when done right, are undetectable. I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with restoring boxes back to as close to original condition if possible.

On the other hand, I have seen some pretty poor attempts as well. Drawing logos on a box with markers and using any kind of tape is just plain wrong and does much more harm than good in my opinion.

Send me your tired and broken down old boxes and I will send you pictures of dead presidents of a commensurate value. :D

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:roll: Now that I have been to a few shows with the "children" I have learned that traveling with the guns in the boxes (without internal padding) is a bad idea. I have repaired to near new condition many RSS boxes and found that hauling them with guns in them is not good for them...also stacking 4 or 5 to carry to the safe is real hard on the bottom one. All that said, a patient, good glue, tiny paint brush, repair will net you a better box than the broken, torn, beater you had when you started. RB

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D I use a bit of Elmers on both surfaces, let them stand for a bit and then clamp. Keep them at room temp for a day. I apply the glue with a frog hair looking brush I liberated from herself's art supplies. Any nice small, quallity brush for getting down in the cracks and tears will work...If you don't have fancy clamps, sometimes I use full boxes of bullets set in the corners inside and out. Do it the first time or two on top of your wife's nice white drier top with-out a newspaper or anything...that's always good for some points....RB

RugerBoi said:
:D I use a bit of Elmers on both surfaces, let them stand for a bit and then clamp. Keep them at room temp for a day. I apply the glue with a frog hair looking brush I liberated from herself's art supplies. Any nice small, quallity brush for getting down in the cracks and tears will work...If you don't have fancy clamps, sometimes I use full boxes of bullets set in the corners inside and out. Do it the first time or two on top of your wife's nice white drier top with-out a newspaper or anything...that's always good for some points....RB

thank, RB...I appreciate your help....

contender

Ruger Guru
I have used wax paper to set boxes on while glue dries.
I have also found a good proper fiber type shipping tape, (similar to what was used by Ruger in the original boxes,) and repaired corners.
The biggest tip; PATIENCE!!!!!!!